MS660 to pop up piston or not?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huskyfan1977

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I got a polished 54mm cylinder that runs really well with a .74 jet. Would I be better off with a Hyway popup piston versus the flat top?

Measure your squish and compression. If you want to tighten things up, a popup is a cheap bolt on way to do it. I believe the Hyway popups are slightly heavier than stock pistons, so that will reduce gains somewhat.

The Hyway pistons aren’t bad. A lot of people use them with a caber ring. I don’t think they will crater your saw, so all you lose by trying is $45 and your time.

I bought a used 660 with a toasted top end, and went right to a pop-up piston. I can't offer anything in terms of comparison between "stock" and pop-up, but the saw pulls a 32" bar, 3/8, 8 pin drive rim combo quite well.

Great guys thanks for the input. I'm gonna give one a try as I got it jetted to 066 specs I figure what the heck... I only run a 20" bar on mine and its a screamer even with a 7 pin rim...

Latest posts

Back