Ms660 with 6 k products 11 pin rim sprocket today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So let's use the formula you can't get past being wrong for a second . .75x7pin x13520 engine rpm/12 =5915fpm . So some on here say that a moded saw will cut faster times than a stock saw with a larger sprocket so let's use .75x11 pin x 8600 engine rpm =5912.5 .So explain exactly how the seven pin is going to cut faster times than the 11 pin if engine can stay above 8600 rpms ?
Because the 7 pin will be able to keep the rpms up and will be cutting to the potential of the chain at a that rpm, meanwhile the 11 pin saw will have to be feathered to keep at that rpm which means it will not be cutting to the chains full potential.
There's a point when all the fancy dancing around and numbers comes to a stop, in this case it's when the chain hits the wood with an 11 pin.

OK I'm just going to come out and say that I'm not all that book smart but I've learned a lot buy trial and error in life and I do know this for a fact that if I took ether one of my saw witch they all are running 7pin sprockets I've got bars that range from 20" - 36" so I'm going to say this and I know most of you will agree with me on this bigger the bar the smaller the sprocket will out cut any saw of equal mods and size with a 11pin in the same wood it been done and proven time and time again........... That's my story and I'll stick to it. :reading::yes:

Because the 7 pin will be able to keep the rpms up and will be cutting to the potential of the chain at a that rpm, meanwhile the 11 pin saw will have to be feathered to keep at that rpm which means it will not be cutting to the chains full potential.
There's a point when all the fancy dancing around and numbers comes to a stop, in this case it's when the chain hits the wood with an 11 pin.
Oh......nice play on words there guy.

OK I'm just going to come out and say that I'm not all that book smart but I've learned a lot buy trial and error in life and I do know this for a fact that if I took ether one of my saw witch they all are running 7pin sprockets I've got bars that range from 20" - 36" so I'm going to say this and I know most of you will agree with me on this bigger the bar the smaller the sprocket will out cut any saw of equal mods and size with a 11pin in the same wood it been done and proven time and time again........... That's my story and I'll stick to it. :reading::yes:
Oh sure in your world.......of physics.........

The 11 pin hit the wood . Yes I agree formulas and theory is what bench racers talk actual Chain on the bar and chips flying kills theory and formulas . Sometimes I try to trap a fellow to go against his click when he is deep into theory and formulas cause a seven pin 3/8 saw has to turn around 20,000 rpms by the formula that needs tweeked in my opinion has to have the same chain speed a 13500 rpm saw with a 11 pin does starting out . I have options 1 move the 11 pin to the two heavily moded 064s .2 try the 10 pin on the unmolested 660 and find actually what pin sprocket is the most effecient cutting speed to hp even if it's a 9 pin cause I basically did all the clearance to start with the largest sprocket and work my way down I believe in effiency even in work .lol Then I can always mod the engine of the 660 since I have craeted a base line on the 11 pin in stock form . Well the weedeaters carbs should be cleaned in the tank now so hit me with replies I'll respond accordingly .

Come one down to Cleveland Tnx and run against our saws we even use a 038 if you want us to instead of that 064. that 064 build is long in the tooth when I was agitating the Clic ten or so years ago . As seen in vids we have hard wood to cut . When the build on 064 was fresh a ole boy showed up with a 044 going to our cut the 064 he started in the log first I fire the 064 and started and dropped the piece he was cutting on his toes . Lol

That is not a true statement I hope....
I still believe the fluke over the pin formula especially when the belt pulley diameter formulas are in line with the fluke stroboscope more than the pin formula is pin formula has to great of a error ratio for my liking.the fluke has a .02percent error . The belt diameter formula has a 15 percent error factor. A 15 percent error factor still gets you a A in any University physic class.

I still believe the fluke over the pin formula especially when the belt pulley diameter formulas are in line with the fluke stroboscope more than the pin formula is pin formula has to great of a error ratio for my liking
You said no one from this site was there when the readings were taken.
You are from this site.....ergo.....not a true statement.

I did logic for a living.

+1

It might be helpful to think about this like propping a boat. When choosing the pitch of a wheel, you want to maximize engine speed where you expect your load to be highest. For most boats, that means estimating top speed, then choosing the prop pitch that will allow your engine to reach top rpms, which is where your power will normally peak, at the top estimated over-the-ground speed.

If you choose a wheel with too much pitch (like choosing a sprocket that's too large), the boat (THEORETICALLY) will go super fast. But if it can't even climb up over its bow wave because there's too much load for the engine to overcome at low rpms, it'll never even get up on plane.

On the other hand, if you're towing skiers or pushing a barge, and you don't expect to ever want to go much over 15 kts, you choose a wheel with very little pitch ... it won't go real fast, but it also won't slip a whole lot, either.

So let's say somebody puts a 22-tooth sprocket onto an MS 150. Theoretically, it'll cut like the hammers of hell. And if you can find a chain that has only one or two tiny cutters on it, it might be able to keep the engine screaming.

But it ain't gonna do a whole lot of cutting real fast.

One other thing worth mentioning is the issue of drag. On boats, this is a huge issue, but it's also going to apply to chainsaws to some degree. Drag increases with the square of the speed. So if you double your boat (or chain) speed, your drag will increase fourfold (2²). But if you triple your boat (or chain) speed, your drag will increase NINEfold (3²). And it goes uphill from there...

TORQUE! It's all about torque. The engine is only capable of generating so much of it. Torque does the work. Speed and horsepower numbers are worthless without torque potential.

Think of it this way... when you're under the hood of your car and that bolt just refuses to turn, you put a 2 foot piece of pipe on the end of your ratchet and pull. The added length of the lever amplifies your input energy, increases the torque at the centerline of the bolt and either cracks the bolt free or breaks the bolt head off (now you have a different problem, but that's for another thread).

By increasing the drive link count on the rim, you increase its diameter and raduis which lengthens the lever and moves the force vector farther from the centerline of the drive shaft. In this instance, you're applying the force on the other end of the lever (the crank shaft). The available torque at the end of the lever (circumference of the drive rim) is now reduced.

So, my bet, all things besides the drive rim being equal, your setup hits a wall and the saw settles in at some RPM regardless of the rim being used. That RPM being where the engine is maxed out on its available torque. Sure, for small stuff it may be faster because you don't need max torque, but I bet it's no faster than a 7 or 8 rim when you bury the bar.

Just tried the 10 pin was by myshelf so not any video yet but it's pretty quick in the log and engine rpm gets some load but stays up . 9 probably be perfection 10 may be with Muffler mod

Latest posts

Back