MS661 C-M chain moving at idle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ittybittyfitty

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm looking at a used MS661 CM locally. The seller states it has never cut wood so essentially it is new. He sent me a video of it running and I noticed the chain is moving at idle. What exactly does this mean? Is it as simple as recalibrating the mtronic?

I tried but its a video through Facebook messenger and the format isn't allowed here. I'm not techy enough to convert it.

Ultimately if it’s brand new and it doesn’t return to idle there is a problem that should be fixed under warranty. The reality is though, he’s probably not giving you the whole truth. Gone are the days where I take someones word for little more than a pinch of salt.

If it was used then understandable, check the clutch bearing, springs, throttle linkage, air leaks etc. New? Then it’s back to the shop.

That said, you may do a better job yourself if you know your way around saws.

He claims it is new, but it was bought in 2019 so it is out of warranty or nearly so. Might not even be worth looking at then as I don't want to pay a dealer to fix it.

If its local ...perform the m-tronic reset procedure in person to see if it solves the issue. When I have played with MM, timing advance and squish on m-tronics saws they need to be reset for the chain to not move at high idle. If it doesn't then walk away.

Ultimately if it’s brand new and it doesn’t return to idle there is a problem that should be fixed under warranty. The reality is though, he’s probably not giving you the whole truth. Gone are the days where I take someones word for little more than a pinch of salt.

If it was used then understandable, check the clutch bearing, springs, throttle linkage, air leaks etc. New? Then it’s back to the shop.

That said, you may do a better job yourself if you know your way around saws.
+1 I’m with Tom on this. Personally I would just get it and troubleshoot it myself if it was a good enough price, but not everyone likes challenges like I do. It also depends on how much the chain moves. With my dad’s 372 and all the 5-6 cube+ saws around here the chain will sorta twitch every couple of seconds while they’re idling and that is something that no amount of fiddling has been able to fix. That might hold true for your saw as well. If the chain moves continually, that’s no bueno. Also, like Tom said, listen to what the person says but draw your own conclusions. I took a guy’s word on an 048 that it ran well until it was parked by his father, who could no longer run a saw. It needed a new piston, recoil, case half, clutch, fuel line, carb kit, air filter, and the wrap needed to be welded back together.

Back