MS661 -- No Spark

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you elaborate on that contact pressure ? On the ignition control or the wire harness?
Basicly how tight the connector fits on the terminal. Must be tight and very clean. Tightening them without distorting them isn't easy but can be done with a steady hand and patience.
So to answer your question, everywhere there is a connection.

Well, I am finally free to make this saw run. MS661-C M-Tronic, with no spark. Informed by the forum of the original ignition components routine failures.

Sent to Stihl for the up-grade kit. 4704 coil, referred to as the control unit, orange fuel filter, and the famous White Solenoid.
Step 1: I installed the new coil. Tested for spark....without the wiring harness plugged in.. nothing.
Step 2: Plugged black/red connector to coil. nothing.
Step 3: Tells me that the other signals are part of the system....not like other coils, that make spark when spun.
Fuel is smelt; its coughing out the carb......the old solenoid is triggering fuel? So, is it working mechanically, suggest a problem with the ignition circuit? Is the control unit sensing a problem with the solenoid? and stopping spark? OR, is the wiring damaged somewhere, regardless of the components. Seems like an service on these M-tronic saws should be the entire kit installed regardless.......just wondering why no spark thus far into the work.......more coming later.

Couple things, how much did it cost you for the upgrade kit? Has the saw ever ran before? What cool number was in it what you swap it from to the 4704? Why would you try it without the wiring harness plugged up? Really you'd want all three new parts in there before you initiated to start procedure. Anyways got to be the coil is it a brand new coil could be the wiring harness could be the spark plug boot could be the flywheel, more then likely the coils bad . My coil went out4701a then installed 4700 both ran fine for few minutes 10 cuts, then installed 4704 started up runs awesome but swapping out the black solenoid for the 5104 white one. Those coils can be finicky but the new ones are pretty good.

Attachments

• Stihl M-tronic Update-2018 (1).pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
Couple things, how much did it cost you for the upgrade kit? Has the saw ever ran before? What cool number was in it what you swap it from to the 4704? Why would you try it without the wiring harness plugged up? Really you'd want all three new parts in there before you initiated to start procedure. Anyways got to be the coil is it a brand new coil could be the wiring harness could be the spark plug boot could be the flywheel, more then likely the coils bad . My coil went out4701a then installed 4700 both ran fine for few minutes 10 cuts, then installed 4704 started up runs awesome but swapping out the black solenoid for the 5104 white one. Those coils can be finicky but the new ones are pretty good.

Howdy...I guess I assumed everyone previously in this thread, would still be around.....didn't anticipate someone who wasn't in the original loop.

I am well passed all the coil info., etc. Thats old data I used to affirm buying the complete re-call / up-grade kit. The part # is shown. How much did it cost? Nothing, as it is a warranty part for some people, I guess. How much is it where you live? Same question.
Is this a brand new out of the box saw? Of course not....or it would be under warranty. = has it ever run before?
Was it the 4704 coil? Of course it was; thats the coil provided by the dealers/distributor, for the up-grade. I think I am a little ahead of you, or vice-versa.
Could be spark boot? on a brand new coil?
Trying spark without plugged connector? Thats just mechanics 101. Anyone would want to see spark when replacing a coil. Failing that, I plugged the connector in place, as I said. I was simply testing everything.
I already had the link; that's M-tronic 101 stuff, AND, you should read it. I mentions the solenoid, and filter pairing that you over-looked.

Lastily, you are cobbling up your saw; simply buy the up-grade kit, which will have varying costs....and install all its components. Be sure to test every step of the way! Good Luck, BB

Howdy...I guess I assumed everyone previously in this thread, would still be around.....
Oh, we're still around. Some of us just know when we're pissin' up a rope.
...didn't anticipate someone who wasn't in the original loop.
...who evidently hadn't read any of the thread before posting.
Well, I am finally free to make this saw run.
And aren't you an old hat at the MS661C-M ignition system all of a sudden. LOL
Seems like an service on these M-tronic saws should be the entire kit installed regardless.......just wondering why no spark thus far into the work.......more coming later.
To convert to the latest/greatest v3.0 M-Tron setup, yes..., but not necessarily mandatory if the saw is out of warranty and all it needs is a $40 black solenoid or a new plug wire.

Sooo..., your post is a bit ambiguous regarding where you actually are with all this..., aside from indicating your newly acquired enlightenment.

You are now "free to make this saw run" while "still wondering why no spark thus far into the work". What work, exactly? Did you replace all the components included with the v3.0 upgrade kit? Did the new coil also include a new high tension lead? Did you replace the entire ignition harness (or test the old one as good)?
If you did all of the above and still have no spark, you most likely have a problem at the kill switch causing a constant short to ground even though the kill position is supposed to only be a momentary contact. If so, I'll guess the original coil is still good as is the solenoid and the fuel filter, and the upgrade kit was not required to correct the "no spark" problem in the first place. And if the old plug lead looked anything like the one in the pic I posted (as you indicated it did), you still had spark. It just wasn't reaching the plug due to a dead short to the case. And if you indeed re-used that plug wire with the new coil thinking it was still usable, you would likely experience the same exact symptom.

You also indicated "more coming later". How about a detailed list of everything you've done thus far -- everything.

If you still have no spark with a brand new coil, you have a dead short to ground or have damaged the wiring harness -- or both. Get your multi-meter out and start looking for it, beginning with testing from the plug boot to ground. Then follow the procedure in the shop manual for testing the harness.

And if you still haven't figured it out by your next post, I gave it my best shot to help you. My effort here has concluded. Good luck.

But one last tip: If you suspect arcing to the case somewhere, pull the starter and use a drill (in reverse) to spin the flywheel while grounding the plug to the case or cylinder..., in the dark. If you're simply using a spark tester to check for spark you'd be missing that problem entirely.

Wow. Wj
Oh, we're still around. Some of us just know when we're pissin' up a rope.

...who evidently hadn't read any of the thread before posting.

And aren't you an old hat at the MS661C-M ignition system all of a sudden. LOL

To convert to the latest/greatest v3.0 M-Tron setup, yes..., but not necessarily mandatory if the saw is out of warranty and all it needs is a $40 black solenoid or a new plug wire.

Sooo..., your post is a bit ambiguous regarding where you actually are with all this..., aside from indicating your newly acquired enlightenment.

You are now "free to make this saw run" while "still wondering why no spark thus far into the work". What work, exactly? Did you replace all the components included with the v3.0 upgrade kit? Did the new coil also include a new high tension lead? Did you replace the entire ignition harness (or test the old one as good)?
If you did all of the above and still have no spark, you most likely have a problem at the kill switch causing a constant short to ground even though the kill position is supposed to only be a momentary contact. If so, I'll guess the original coil is still good as is the solenoid and the fuel filter, and the upgrade kit was not required to correct the "no spark" problem in the first place. And if the old plug lead looked anything like the one in the pic I posted (as you indicated it did), you still had spark. It just wasn't reaching the plug due to a dead short to the case. And if you indeed re-used that plug wire with the new coil thinking it was still usable, you would likely experience the same exact symptom.

You also indicated "more coming later". How about a detailed list of everything you've done thus far -- everything.

If you still have no spark with a brand new coil, you have a dead short to ground or have damaged the wiring harness -- or both. Get your multi-meter out and start looking for it, beginning with testing from the plug boot to ground. Then follow the procedure in the shop manual for testing the harness.

And if you still haven't figured it out by your next post, I gave it my best shot to help you. My effort here has concluded. Good luck.

But one last tip: If you suspect arcing to the case somewhere, pull the starter and use a drill (in reverse) to spin the flywheel while grounding the plug to the case or cylinder..., in the dark. If you're simply using a spark tester to check for spark you'd be missing that problem entirely.

Wow, wheres the humbility now? HaHA! I'm free to make the saw run is clearly, I have been busy with lifes more important matters, and now have time to work on it.
Since the last post, I got the kit, which you already knew. Something about how the dealer had been fair with the price. It was the wiser move over just a coil......and the kit is considered the be all/end all M-Tronic up-grade. So said the counter-guy.
Anyway, after installing the 4704 coil, I tested for spark with a std. tester, and the recoil. Than, I plugged in the connector, and got the same results. Now I knew it wasn't that simple, the other components were definitely a part of the ignition, and coil was the latest and best to have.

Pulled the carb, and installed the white solenoid, again because it is referenced everywhere, as the latest improved version. Regardless, the solenoid was required, if I needed a new coil anyway. The orange fuel filter came with as well.

While the carb was out of the way, each wire was tested for resistance. Each is intact, and visually fine.

The microswitch. The service info. states, test from the red to the black and look for 10 ohms. Thats from the solenoid plug, to the side plug. ? Those 2 wires (red/black) are both fine with zero resistance from the test terminals, THRU the solenoid connector, and all the way to the terminals ((spade & eyelet). Cross them to test? was a mystery. Page 65-66.

When testing from the solenoid connector, to the test connector, and red to red or blk to blk, these connections are perfect. So, I have to imagine, that by crossing the test probes, and looking for a slight level of resistance, thats how to test that mirco-switch?? In several places, the testing is defined as hearing an audible click. Thats the mechanical part of the deal.....so maybe, this switch is bad as well?

Its the only part of the entire system left. As to the fuel system, unless testing for spark, requires fuel in the system, the switch is next. The tank was drained and cleaned...and is empty.

Oh yes, and back to your maybe its this stuff.........the kill switch wire is perfect end to end. When the stop switch is lifted to position "O", the ring connector makes a solid contact with the kill spring, and disengages correctly. "more on that later" is a common phrase. It means that a person will provide further info. No time-line is inferred, or should be expected. Later could be December. Here's another. Used the original spark plug lead? The up-grade kit is clearly shown in pictures on line. Someone posted them, showing the nice little orange bags, with STIHL part number labels, and than each is displayed, out of the package(s)....the 4704 comes with.

Clearly, you enjoy helping guys, as you have done with me thus far. The entire system, save that micro-switch, is OEM new, all wiring has been under a magnifying glass, and tested, with my multi-meter, VOM, and every wire is solid. If you know something more about this switch, chime back in. Lastily, a drill, in reverse? Thats my right arm................Thanks Poge!!

Stay Safe, Stay Home, Capt. B. Bart

Hey Poge did you demote a Captain down to a Sargent?
No Captain can be demoted to Sargent. Do you have any input on how to test the mirco-switch?
What about the yellow wire did you make sure it's got a good connection ?

Do you have any input as to how best to test the micro-switch? Its the only mystery left. Everything is new.

No Captain can be demoted to Sargent.

Image result for captain demoted to sergeant
(CBS) – A Salem police captain has been demoted two levels to sergeant after she tweeted from the department's official account criticizing protesters in Boston. Earlier this month, Kate Stephens tweeted from the official Salem Police Department criticizing Boston protesters after the death of George Floyd

I guess I didn't respond as expected, as per how this particular forum functions. My regrets. I was under the impression that, a thread started, and simply kept going.....so that suggested that you'd already read it from the start. I guess thats not the case. Sorry for the mis-understanding.

As to your comments, the cost of the kit is not known. I have seen figures ranging from $100 to 200 ++. I haven't been charged as of yet, so I honestly can't give you that number you require. Is there a number you wanted to hear....I can check back to see what mine should be.....is it important? Let me know.

Saw is 4 yrs. old. Had some damage. Repaired all the A/V mounts and it started right back up. Ran a couple of times, before failing. No spark is the first problem I looked for. As per Poge, I looked at the coil, and it has some chaffing on the lead. 4700. Everyone agreed....don't buy another 4700, go with the kit. I did.

I'm a curious mechanic. I want to know why I didn't get spark. Obviously, as soon as the 4704 was properly mounted, I tested again. Its just a test. I than re-installed the connector....and tried again, with the same results. Why = normal curiousity. I'd need all 3 parts installed before attempting to start? Please explain? Sounds like we have shared the same exercise, right down to the kit. The only puzzle piece left, is how to determine the micro-switch is okay? There is zero info. anywhere on the web, or from Stihl. Stay Cool! BB

View attachment 842305
(CBS) – A Salem police captain has been demoted two levels to sergeant after she tweeted from the department's official account criticizing protesters in Boston. Earlier this month, Kate Stephens tweeted from the official Salem Police Department criticizing Boston protesters after the death of George Floyd
You are assuming my rank is of law enforcement, or military. Nice effort though! HHAA!

View attachment 842305
How about the test procedure for the micro switch? Is that in your "wheelhouse"?

This is version 3 mtronic. It has a different calibration procedure than the previous version. 90 seconds on cold start and 5 cuts isn't how to calibrate this this setup.

I'll see if I can find the information for you.

Also, if you need a picture of the wiring for reference I can send you one. Mine is an arctic model so you just need to ignore the extra wires.
Thanks Tom. I'm there, just not sure about the micro-switch. It clicks. The strange VOM test in the manual, makes no sense, to me. Maybe you or someone else, knows if there is a test beyond the "audible click" mentioned. Thanks again for your help, Capt. B. Bart

Imagine how much flak here would likely have been avoided if Stihl would have just allowed a simple jumper wire to test for a spark, clipped to the cylinder and connected to the plug. Then I pull the starter cord a few times. I've been doing that for 25 years to test for a good spark, but today the M-tronics all say "Forget it, buddy. That's all history. Buy our testing equipment and pay through the nose for it."

AMEN! I have test
Imagine how much flak here would likely have been avoided if Stihl would have just allowed a simple jumper wire to test for a spark, clipped to the cylinder and connected to the plug. Then I pull the starter cord a few times. I've been doing that for 25 years to test for a good spark, but today the M-tronics all say "Forget it, buddy. That's all history. Buy our testing equipment and pay through the nose for it."
[/QUOT

Amen! Testing for spark used to be holding the lead while pulling a rope, wound around the starter cup. Now we are told to purchase machines with a memory? According to another post, the ECM/control unit/coil on a M-tronic machine, will store/show the machines history??

Anyway, throw me a bone guys......how does one assure that the micro-switch is okay??

I guess I didn't respond as expected, as per how this particular forum functions. My regrets. I was under the impression that, a thread started, and simply kept going.....so that suggested that you'd already read it from the start. I guess thats not the case. Sorry for the mis-understanding.

As to your comments, the cost of the kit is not known. I have seen figures ranging from $100 to 200 ++. I haven't been charged as of yet, so I honestly can't give you that number you require. Is there a number you wanted to hear....I can check back to see what mine should be.....is it important? Let me know.

Saw is 4 yrs. old. Had some damage. Repaired all the A/V mounts and it started right back up. Ran a couple of times, before failing. No spark is the first problem I looked for. As per Poge, I looked at the coil, and it has some chaffing on the lead. 4700. Everyone agreed....don't buy another 4700, go with the kit. I did.

I'm a curious mechanic. I want to know why I didn't get spark. Obviously, as soon as the 4704 was properly mounted, I tested again. Its just a test. I than re-installed the connector....and tried again, with the same results. Why = normal curiousity. I'd need all 3 parts installed before attempting to start? Please explain? Sounds like we have shared the same exercise, right down to the kit. The only puzzle piece left, is how to determine the micro-switch is okay? There is zero info. anywhere on the web, or from Stihl. Stay Cool! BB
The m

Originally i had posted a thread about 661 no spark I thought thats where I was , if the micro switch clicks it good. The coil was $85 the solenoid was $45 the filter not sure it was already in the saw.

Latest posts

Back