MS661 vs 390XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So everyone wants to know. What's the stronger saw, the MS661 or the 390XP? I made a comparison last year and the 390 was significantly faster. I had opportunity yesterday to run them again. While the 390 still came out ahead, the 661 was much closer this time. Interesting enough, when it came time to flush cut the stump, the 661 was my choice. Bury a 36" bar on both and I think you'd see the 661 pull ahead, although it's hard to say without doing it. Both of these saws are fantastic performers. I'd give the RPM edge to the 390XP and the torque edge to the MS661, although both saws shine in both areas.

Are both saws ported? Did you compare stock saws, as well? :)
Yes, both are ported. I think the 661 is a nice compromise between a 390 and a 395. The 390 is still faster with a shorter bar, and a 395 has still more torque. But that's 2 saws. Stihl hit a home run with this 661.

I have been looking at those two for the last couple weeks, comparing my next saw. Thanks for the review.

Seems to fit with the overall theme of husky vs stihl...huskies tend to turn higher RPMs and cut faster but Stihls tend to have more torque and low/mid range grunt. At least that has been my experience and I have heard others make this same comparison. Both are clearly great saws.

Hey, I was doing very important research, lol :)

51964393.jpg

Latest posts

Back