Ms661 vs 661 arctic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chopmistchopper

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Looking for some input. I am in the market for a 661. I am trying to decide on a 661 R which I can buy locally with a 1 year warranty or the 661 arctic from Dave (chainsawguy) . The arctic would come with a 3 month warranty but would have to be sent back to BC for service. I am on the east coast. What say you? Price is about the same.

What are you cutting the most? Like most, I pull out 66s less frequently than a 60 or 70 cc. IMO, Arctic would be best for saw that you use most. As for warranty, I've never had a claim.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I would get the 661R. I don't think the arctic features mean anything practical if you live in Rhode Island.
Probably not, I cut in Rhode Island and Maine quite often, just thought those heated handles might feel good when I am cutting in the single digits Temps,but I can always wear a warmer pair of gloves.

Probably not, I cut in Rhode Island and Maine quite often, just thought those heated handles might feel good when I am cutting in the single digits Temps,but I can always wear a warmer pair of gloves.
I would not rule out a husky. I know some of y'all are hardcore brand loyalists, but I see no 'need' for heated handles. If it is bad enough I want heated handles it is too cold to be outside. I wear a mitten on my left hand and mid weight glove on the right in cold weather. I always seem to have more trouble keeping the left warm. Must be the aluminum.

Why would it have to go back to BC for service? It's a Stihl product. It's still a 661.

when i got my 372XT pre scored out of the trader here (yes, undisclosed and pretty annoying) i didn't have to send it the the states for the repair but my dealer had to file the warranty claim with husqvarna USA. took over a month.

I would not rule out a husky. I know some of y'all are hardcore brand loyalists, but I see no 'need' for heated handles. If it is bad enough I want heated handles it is too cold to be outside. I wear a mitten on my left hand and mid weight glove on the right in cold weather. I always seem to have more trouble keeping the left warm. Must be the aluminum.

I cut in the early spring and summer and split and stack in the fall. Damned if I don't see people cutting firewood in late fall early winter. IMO, if you are a chronic procrastinator and wait to cut wood when it snowing, you need to change your ways, then get heated bars.

I cut in the early spring and summer and split and stack in the fall. Damned if I don't see people cutting firewood in late fall early winter. IMO, if you are a chronic procrastinator and wait to cut wood when it snowing, you need to change your ways, then get heated bars.

I may or may not be a "chronic procrastinator", but that's not why I cut wood in the winter. I'm a farmer. I'm busy spring summer and fall. I cut wood in the winter. It's the time that's available to me. I also try to cut during the other three months, but no way can I finish before the snow flies. Furthermore, frozen ground is great for cutting wood. It's much better to skid logs over snow than through mud. Easier to keep your saw out of the dirt too.

Anyway, if I could buy an Arctic version of any saw for the same price, that'd be a no brainer. I just got my first one yesterday (ms440). I'm gonna head out and run the thing.

Last thought: warm hands are better. Also safer. Doesn't need to be real cold to get cold hands. 45 and rain would be prime time for the little switch to be on.

I cut once in the winter. Even though it was a mild winter, I felt it was to much a risk. Not having a stable footing on a slope with a chainsaw only invites a severe accident. I'm just glad I have the option to do otherwise.

I cut once in the winter. Even though it was a mild winter, I felt it was to much a risk. Not having a stable footing on a slope with a chainsaw only invites a severe accident. I'm just glad I have the option to do otherwise.

I'm glad you have an option to do otherwise as well.

My point was that not all of us who cut in the winter are "chronic procrastinators" who need to "change our ways". Heck, in Wisconsin, we may have snow on the ground from the first of November until the end of April. That's not usually the case, but it happens. That's an awful long time to not cut wood because it's snowy.

Slippery conditions are something to be concerned about, but when you live in the snow, you learn to deal with it. Personally, I keep my wood processing area cleared of most of the snow. I also wear yak-tracks, which are like tire chains for your boots. Honestly, though I feel much safer walking on snow in the woods than on ice in a parking lot. I think that's where people slip and get hurt more often, but that's just a guess.

Sounds like somebody doesn't sell wood! :crazy:

A cord here goes for a hundred and a quarter. Only the young can work that hard for so little. I'm in my 50s, but I've neighbors in their 70s that still cut wood. Selling firewood is hard work with few buyers.

Some will pay for a log truck to dump 10 cords for a grand, and all they have to do is buck and split it. So $100 a cord easy like is possible.

I only cut when temp is below 20 degrees cause I don' like bugs and sweat. I'm about 10 yrs ahead on my wood pile

Latest posts

Back