MS661CM air filter question/issue.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had a guy bring in a MS661CM saying the air filter plugs up after only half a day of cutting. Seems like that shouldn’t be happening that quick. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Depends on what he’s cutting. I know if we’re into a bunch of dead ash and oak the filters get really filled. Is the chain really dull? Dead wood and dull chain are a recipe for dust.

I agree on the maxflow suggestion. The big Stihls really fill up the stock filter FAST. And the maxflow filter cover for the 661 actually looks pretty good; not like the one for the 660 which looks like a suitcase strapped to the back of the saw. Of course, it's not a beauty contest, and if a saw can cut for days instead of hours on a filter it doesn't really matter what it looks like.

Prudy much any stihl you get is going to fill the filter after a tank of fuel. Other than upgrading to the high flow filter, there isn't much you can do. It's an engineering design flaw on stihls part. Although with all these easy access covers on the saws now, like the ones on the bigger stihls, tapping the filter out during fuel ups isn't a huge deal.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Prudy much any stihl you get is going to fill the filter after a tank of fuel. Other than upgrading to the high flow filter, there isn't much you can do. It's an engineering design flaw on stihls part.
This is a Problem of the older Stihls. With 241/261/362/462 you can run 10 Tanks of fuel and you will find only a little dust in the Filter

This is a Problem of the older Stihls. With 241/261/362/462 you can run 10 Tanks of fuel and you will find only a little dust in the Filter
That's because they have made their own version of Husqvarna's air injection design and have moved away from their typical filtration method. I would buy a 462.

My 661 fills its filter pretty quickly, I'll often tap it out to get rid of the worst of it every 3rd or 4th tank.
Standard black Stihl filter, impressed though because under the filter is spotless, does a good job of trapping the crap.

Back