Ms880 pick up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CFPerformance86

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Picked this up for 400 from a customer at work that i worked out a few deals with. I have not paid yet since we are still traiding parts for a ford truck so i might end up paying less. Piston is scored. Ill have to pull the head and see if i can hone it and reuse it.20191116_141736.jpg 20191116_141742.jpg 20191116_141747.jpg 20191116_141751.jpg

Let’s see a pic of the exhaust port.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This saw is an 088. That’s an older style cylinder with clip on cast aluminum muffler. Part of the lower casting that registers the muffler in place is busted off. Not sure how available those mufflers are nowadays.

51c8c0d980fc9eeb199b35c4085f9e38.jpg

Yea he said he had it rebuilt not that long ago. Maybe it wasnt tuned correctly. Ill see when i get it back together
Two recent rebuilds screams "keep searching " for a cause. Seals leaks something else is bad. Not an easy saw to burn up. And there is not much "every day " use for that big monster. Good luck with it. I been looking for one for a while too

I’d probably pass on it, at the very least don’t pay more than 150$ or so. Your gonna have to split the case, new bearings, gaskets, and seals. New piston, cylinder, and muffler. New covers. New rubber bits, carb kit, fuel and air filter. Misc little parts that are missing. That’s big $. You MAY be able to get 400$ if you parted it out.

I’d probably pass on it, at the very least don’t pay more than 150$ or so. Your gonna have to split the case, new bearings, gaskets, and seals. New piston, cylinder, and muffler. New covers. New rubber bits, carb kit, fuel and air filter. Misc little parts that are missing. That’s big $. You MAY be able to get 400$ if you parted it out.

I dont see why i need new covers. Ill just use the ones that came with it.

Splitting the case is easy. I have the saw. I cant give it back lol

Nice find. I’d be all over that like a tramp on a pie

I dont see why i need new covers. Ill just use the ones that came with it.

Splitting the case is easy. I have the saw. I cant give it back lol

Didn’t see them in the pic so I assumed they were not included.

I got my 088 for 400$. Had a scored piston. Back then OEM piston was only 55$. Split the case and rebuilt it. Been a great saw ever since.

Latest posts

Back