Ms880 repair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I have new seals on the way I have never removed a clutch before. Can I just use a 21mm socket on this hex nut?
Boy, that clutch looks TOASTED! It was definitely abused. Probably could be salvaged with just new springs. Clutch is a "left-hand" thread. If you impact it in the wrong direction you'll break the crank shaft stub. Others have learned this lesson the hard way... on MUCH less expensive saws.

Boy, that clutch looks TOASTED! It was definitely abused. Probably could be salvaged with just new springs. Clutch is a "left-hand" thread. If you impact it in the wrong direction you'll break the crank shaft stub. Others have learned this lesson the hard way... on MUCH less expensive saws.
Ok got that off I will pick up parts tomorrow and see about getting it fixed back up

He wants to undo the clutch not tighten it
Chainsaw clutch threads are designed to tighten in the direction of rotation the engine runs as a safety feature to keep the chain/clutch on if a kickback or sudden stop of the chain occurs. Is it the same where your at or are things different? Asking for a friend...

Chainsaw clutch threads are designed to tighten in the direction of rotation the engine runs as a safety feature to keep the chain/clutch on if a kickback or sudden stop of the chain occurs. Is it the same where your at or are things different? Asking for a friend...
Yes they are the same here, on the clutch side the thread is left hand to do such a thing, to loosen you go in the direction of engine rotation. If you had taken off a clutch you would know that.

Hell i'm still trying to figure out why why they thought they needed to jump into a conversation to correct someone that was not incorrect. Anyone able to shed some light?
Who knows maybe misunderstood we deal with valve people from overseas and their description is anti clockwise just doesn’t sound right

Hell i'm still trying to figure out why why they thought they needed to jump into a conversation to correct someone that was not incorrect. Anyone able to shed some light?
Err! Because you gave him confusing advice, let us all know when you can get a clutch off a stihl 880 chainsaw undoing the nut that holds it on, in the opposite direction to engine rotation? Because for someone who hasn’t taken a clutch off before, they just need to know which direction to turn the nut. Unless of course you count stripping the thread or shearing off the shaft as getting it off. You gave confusing information, the skill of a good teacher is to give clear easily understood unambiguous information, so that anyone can understand it.
Don’t worry, it’s been thoroughly clarified and disaster has been averted.

Opposite of engine rotation makes no sense? that's doing the clutch up there is nothing confusing about it you undo a clutch by impacting it the same direction the engine spins.
880's have weak cranks I wouldn't want to be rattling on one to long doing it up thinking it's undoing.

So I got in my crankshaft seals, fuel line, fuel filter and gas tank vent and I was just thinking when I took the fuel line off the carburetor it was pressurized and shot a stream of fuel out have any of y’all ever seen this happen?

Since these are oil seals I don’t guess these need any grease

Attachments

• E636B924-6F0B-4582-B1FF-3A70A32C0F7D.jpeg
    E636B924-6F0B-4582-B1FF-3A70A32C0F7D.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 28
I’m not sure if it’s the pic, or the angle, or my eyes.
does that bearing cage looked melted a bit with the part of bearing showing in the 7-8 o-clock position? If it is, you should replace crank bearing?
maybe others can chime in if they see same?

Latest posts

Back