Muffler Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harley

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I got bored tonight, so I thought I'd try out some mods that I had been thinking about.

I had two ports in the front before. I welded them up and added the side pipes tonight. I haven't tried it in wood yet, but it "feels" more responsive than the front ports. Same area of opening as before. Needs some paint though.

I did about the same thing with an 046 muffler, I cut all the baffles out, made my own new baffle, put a pipe on the side just like you did. Those little sanding drums for the dremel fit right in the pipe so i tapered the pipe some. Super smoothe on the inside.

Much quieter than the rusted muffler that was on there, more responsive also. I painted it with BBq grill paint and it had held up for a couple months.

O.K. guys, color me stupid here. I am not into this like you fellas, obvoiusly. What is the point of these pipes? Do they make the saw louder? I have a new MS460, and I have been using earplugs when I run it. It is the first saw that I have felt the need to do so.

john,
sure, you can open them to much. you are only getting rid of the product that the saw brought in on the other end(intake). if the saw only can bring in so much,it can only get rid of so much. another thing to be concerned with is if the saw is super hot and you shut it down, you do not want cold air to come in contact with the rings. you want to try to warm the air before it comes in touch with any part inside the combustion chamber.
john walker did the muffler in my photo. it did not make the saw that much louder.
8x8 spruce stock all 20" full chisel 3/8-8x50 1 cut (371xp)
same as above with walkerized muffler
protect yourselves; marty

Hey Marty,

Thanks for the info. Looks like a fairly dramatic change in time through the log for such a relatively simple modification. I think I will have to give it a try on my SOLO 651SP. Thanks again.

John

In regard toward too little back pressure, I would think that if you open it up too much, you might start scavenging more unburned intake mixture out the exhast port, thereby decreasing efficiency. Adding an expansion chamber lets this work for you by pushing the mixture back in with it's reverse pressure wave. While I have no doubt that less restriction can pay big dividends to a certain degree, you might actually decrease performance by opening it up too much.

ahh, yes but it is such a sweet sound. i only had the muffler done because it was an older saw. now i hope to have all the new saws done. protect yourselves; marty

Latest posts

Back