Muffling splitter noise

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm trying to keep my splitter running as quiet as possible. I have a Honda GCV160 running a small splitter but I think it's too loud. The muffler may be old so I'm replacing it. Has anyone looked into ways of keeping the noise to less than the muffler will do? Can I attach a flex hose to the muffler and run it into a bigger muffler? Maybe divert the noise down underground into something like a drywell?

Looking for ideas.

Build a box around it, line it with foam on the interior. Just need to baffle it for incoming and outgoing airflow. Most enclosed generators I've worked on are set up like that. A gcv160 is pretty quite in the greater scheme of things and being air-cooled you'll need to make sure you have adequate air flow for cooling. Another option is to do away with gas and go electric.. it's been done before so no real issue to do either.
The real question I have to ask is why? Just wear a pair if ear muffs or ear plugs. Together you won't hear much background noise at all. Neither are expensive options and have use for operating other equipment around the house as well.

Build a box around it, line it with foam on the interior. Just need to baffle it for incoming and outgoing airflow. Most enclosed generators I've worked on are set up like that. A gcv160 is pretty quite in the greater scheme of things and being air-cooled you'll need to make sure you have adequate air flow for cooling. Another option is to do away with gas and go electric.. it's been done before so no real issue to do either.
The real question I have to ask is why? Just wear a pair if ear muffs or ear plugs. Together you won't hear much background noise at all. Neither are expensive options and have use for operating other equipment around the house as well.
I want to keep the noise down in regards to the neighbors. I don't split often but when I do I try to do a lot and between the chainsaw cutting the logs and the splitter running all day, noise and neighbors don't mix well.

I have always wore earplugs while running any equipment so running my splitter bothers me with out the plugs in. About twenty years ago I noticed that my muffler was always filling up with rain and snow so I changed it. I went to the wrecking yard and picked out a Honda Civic with a flex pipe on the header. I welded a similar header on my splitter motor with the original muffler. much much quieter, I then cut two sections of plywood to make a tent like covering with insulation which made engine more quiet. That was to the benefit of my neighbors. Thanks

get a 30 or 55 gallon drum and bury it in the ground with two pipes welded into the lid, the first pipe runs to near the bottom the second extends 1/2 a inch of so below the lid. fill drum 1/4 full of water then hook flex pipe from the engine to the drum. It might be worth investigating to see if a honda generator muffler will work/fit on your engine with a little engineering...their generators are very quiet!

I want to keep the noise down in regards to the neighbors. I don't split often but when I do I try to do a lot and between the chainsaw cutting the logs and the splitter running all day, noise and neighbors don't mix well.
Sorry for you luck, I can't imagine it's much louder then a push mower. But like I mentioned before a box with insulation will knock a lot of noise down, and another muffler will knock more noise down.

If you build a box around it, keep in mind that the key to keeping noise in is mass. Make the box out of something heavy. The more dense the material is, the less the sound will be able to penetrate it.

I applaud your efforts and consideration of the neighbors.
One of my reasons for wanting a processor is to reduce chainsaw time (noise) for the neighbors. Although close to 1,000' away it is must be annoying to hear for several hours each day. A processor would be a different type of noise, lower level, and fewer hours of run time. Consideration of the neighbors is also why I've never had an interest in porting, drilling holes in the muffler, etc., hopping up a chainsaw. A stock Husqvarna 562 is more than adequate. For me it's more about keeping the chain sharp for saw performance.
Whatever you come up with, please share.
I run the gx 160 on the conveyor and a gx 200 on the splitter.
If I could go electric I would, but not sure how to convert conveyor, and both would be run off a generator, so probably a wash.
You have me thinking about it though...

If one is concerned about splitting noise they need to realize that the muffler is only part of the source. The engine itself emits a large portion of noise. That is why that some kind of frame work that can support a section of carpet is helpful. Thanks

There are "sound attenuation" bats for... sound, like fiberglass bats for insulation.
A friend used a generator for a party function and placed a wheel barrow on it's side to deflect the noise. He claimed it work better than he had expected.
Carpet, as Ted suggested, would work if kept dry. Say a sun shade with a horizontal pole across two of the legs, and carpet hung from that. Maybe on two adjacent sides.

Latest posts

Back