mullberry for firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miller1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
can anybody tell me how mullbery is for burning, i heard it takes much longer to dry out than most other wood, what is the milky stuff that seeps out after you cut it?

Mulberry is awesome firewood. Two things about Mulberry though, it needs to be cut and split for a year before burning, and it kicks up sparks when it burns, so you need a good spark curtain, and or, glass doors if using a fireplace. Mulberry puts out a lot of heat, and doesnt leave a ton of ash.

If you were to compair the infamous Osage orange(Hedge apple) and your Mulberry you'll find they are very close to being the same tree. Its been long time since I looked it up but I believe they are the only two trees in their family. Other then one being orangish and other yellowish they look about the same and of course both are very dense and tough on saw and operator. Although I think you'll find the BTU's are well worth it.

In every fence row around here you are guaranteed to find cherry,mulberry,and osage orange. Guess we can thank the birds for having 3 great firewood trees along all the fences around here

Yes, like Bowtie said it is good firewood but throws sparks because of "moisture pockets"-when the air hits these pockets it seems like someone set off a 4th of July sparkler! The white milky substance is the sap-Mulberry is VERY WET when green, so it does take awhile to dry out. And you'll notice if the cut-side of the wood is yellow when it's freshly cut, it will turn a reddish-brown color as it dries. I only know of two species of Mulberry; Red and White. Good luck. :)

Last edited:
Osage Orange (hedge) and Mulberry are the only 2 in their family, and I wish there was cherry in the fence rows here in Kansas. Its around, but hard to find. There seems to be a orange colored heartwood mulberry here, as well as a redder heartwood mulberry. Just from what I have seasoned and burned, the more orange colored burns better, but both burn darn good. However I am curious what kind of variations you guys have in other parts of the country.

thanks for the info, this is yellow in the center, didnt want to waste my time cutting it till i found out if it burns well, i have an owb so i dont worry about the sparks,

Tree book I have dont say anything about ash and mulberry being in the same family, so either you are wrong or I am, but I bet one of us finds out who is incorrect. You got me curious, and I hate being wrong. Lets find out.

Ok I couldnt find my old book back from high school days but from what I've found between wikipedia and the arbor day foundation is that green and white ash belong in the Oleaceae family and osage orange and mulberry belong in the Moraceae family.

Although my old book never mentioned it there are many sub species of Moraceae the fig tree being one of them. Anyway I started reading stuff that was way too deep for me and my little mind so I stopped. The facts I know are Osage orange and Mulberry are very much related just looking at the two you can tell in fact the fruit of the osage orange looks like a giant fat mulberry lol. They both are worth their weight for firewood.

I'm going to do some cutting tomorrow I believe there are a few of both in the area I'm currently cutting. Maybe I'll take the camera along and take couple pics.

Last edited:
Cool, post those pics. We know which is which, we were debating whether mulberry and hedge are in the same tree family. :chainsaw:

Finally got a chance to look it up.

Here's what I found in the "National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees".

Mulberry Family (Moraceae)

Paper-mulberry
Osage-orange (hedge-apple, bodark)
White Mulberry (Silkworm Mulberry, Russian Mulberry)
Texas Mulberry (Mexican Mulberry, Mountain Mulberry)
Red Mulberry (Moral)

Ash is in the "Olive Family".

Hope that this helps! :)

Last edited:
I've got the redish one!

I live in New England. I have always found it a good wood to burn!
Who would of Thunk it?;)
I believe I have the red one?
Mine is almost purple on the inside when it dries out.
I agree about drying it out a good year! or more!

I will post some pictures if and when I get a chance.

I believe I have the red one?
Mine is almost purple on the inside when it dries out.

Interesting! Down here in Pennsylvania, Mulberry trees are very, very common. I read that they were planted years ago to provide food for silkworms to supply the growing silk industries at that time. The one that I've cut and burned I believe is the Red one? When it's freshly cut, the cutside and inside are yellow; when it seasons, it turns a reddish-brown color, pretty amazing actually! It's an above-average firewood, it justs takes time to season and man can it "POP" and throw sparks! Happy New Year to you! :laugh:

just one more vote for mullberry. too bad it doesn't grow tall and straight.

biketrax, i hope you enjoy the ms361. i believe it is the best, most useful saw that stihl makes.

Some mulberry (white and paper I know of) is on the invasive-species list in parts of Michigan, so some places would LOVE for you to burn it!

I burn a lot of it and love it. I dont notice the sparks as much until i start stirring the fire or throwing a piece of wood on top of the pile.

Yep!

I burn a lot of it and love it. I dont notice the sparks as much until i start stirring the fire or throwing a piece of wood on top of the pile.

I dont burn that much of it. Just culling the yard :)
Ditto That!
just one more vote for mullberry. too bad it doesn't grow tall and straight.

biketrax, i hope you enjoy the ms361. i believe it is the best, most useful saw that stihl makes.
MAN can you feel the power!!!!:chainsaw: I am so glad I splurged the extra cash and went rite to the Real Deal!
Absolutely Awsome! Thanks AS!

Ditto what was said before about awesome burning and fireworks, but hereabouts it comes very buggy. Wood powderpost beetles, I think. 3/16" dia. holes through the wood and the bugs are so active that any wood beneath it on the drying pile is coated with the yellow-colored frass they push out of the holes.

Back