My 10 year old Bur Oak has this problem every year, please help.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimBurr

Reaction score
Every year my Bur Oak gets it's leaves ate up by something. This year I plan to find the problem & fix it. But research as left me at a loss. So today I took some photos so as I can post on this forum to ask for a solution. I only have this one Bur Oak that I planted about 10 or so years ago. I have looked for any insects but found none, but I did find a few tiny black things that look like poop droppings stuck to the top of the leaves. Please help.

Attachments

• P1040805.JPG
    P1040805.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 13
  • P1040806.JPG
    P1040806.JPG
  • P1040807.JPG
    P1040807.JPG
  • P1040809.JPG
    P1040809.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 13
  • P1040810.JPG
    P1040810.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 14
What's the root flair look like?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I saw stuff that did.
Yeah, but it was Tubakia leaf spot. But they say the disease usually develops so late in the season. But I guess it could be a fungus. But the photos of Tubakia leaf spot don't exactly match what I have. unless your refering to something else, could you share it ?

I guarantee there is a root flair! With out the but oak wilt. I go to the roots, there is for sure a flair there. You just had record low temps there, frost damage, we are in a drought. Just to complicate things. This year's growth is from last year. Look at the flair. Send me a pic, dig around

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Probably some anthracnose mixed with little critters eating the buds before they open. Do you see that "paperdoll" pattern on the one leaf? That's from something small feeding on the leaf bud. If my tree, I'd mulch around the base, reduce stress and not much else.

Back