My $65000 cigarette lighter (Powerstroke diesel)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

300zx_tt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have to say guys I’m pretty disappointed with my 2014 6.7 Powerstroke. I bought the truck used with 70k miles on it, less than a year ago. It currently has 74,xxx miles on it. ( got lucky and had 2 big jobs in a row, very close to home) about 3-4 months after I bought it I had a check engine light, ended up being a vacuum pump and while they were diagnosing it they said I had an EGR failure. They replaced it under warranty. Cool no big deal vacuum pump was under $500 otd. Fast forward to a week ago, truck throws a code, p0272 cylinder 4 imbalance, was running fine so I limped it to the dealer. When I pulled in it was running a little rough, no noise out of the ordinary, banging, pinging nothing. Scanned it again in the dealers lot and it had 2 codes the same 0272 and now an 0275 as well. Cylinder 4&5 imbalance. Dealer says I need 2 new injectors. I say the whole fuel system was done by the previous owner last year $8,950 dollar repair bill, here’s the paperwork. Dealership does the work under warranty. Only the cylinder 4 light comes back on. They call and say bad news, it needs heads, cylinder 4 is down 50psi (325psi vs 375 for the others). Probably a cracked valve. They’re saying ~$5100. Now I’m pretty pissed. The diesel has a 5 year, 100,000 mile warranty. The truck was sold November 29th 2013 so I’m 4 months out of warranty and 26,000 miles under. Dealer says ford might pick up the bill or part of it since it’s only a few months out and it’s low miles. Ok fine do the heads. Get a call yesterday. Hey Mr.S we’ve got a problem. You’ve got broken pushrods and rockers that are loose, we’re going to pull the heads and see if there’s more damage... holy **** Ford are you guys kidding me? They left a message today. “You’re going to need a new long block”. I called back, the manager was busy and he never returned my call. I’m waiting to see if Ford is going to step up and do the right thing. I honestly can’t drop 15k on a new motor for this thing. Not sure what’s going on at the dealership, I’m pretty pissed about it.

I wanted to wait until I knew exactly what was going to happen before I made a big deal about it...

Got a call from ford today, they basically said **** you and that’s that. What a joke, a $65,000 truck that has had 9k worth of work now needs a new motor. They also mentioned my CVS (customer value score) was too low.... My great grandfather was a contractor and used only fords, my grandfather, a contractor, had nothing but fords, my father also a contractor had nothing but fords, this truck is my 5th f350. I haven’t owned a new ford. This is the newest truck I’ve owned.

This whole experience is beyond frustrating. And I honestly can’t ever see myself owning a ford after this. I’ve never been this mad about something in my entire life. Why spend my hard earned money with a company that leaves me high and dry.

Just wanted to put my experience out there and let everyone know what all happened with my truck.

Hope everyone has a good day

9B41E065-0A19-4A20-BB16-AF3CC7F68323.jpeg

Had a similar experience with my 2004 Ford F350. After 13th time at dealship for major engine repairs, traded it in on a 2006 Duramax and still in my driveway.

Customer value score? Are you saying that Ford assigned a score to tell them how hard to screw you? And there is yet another reason why I have never owned a Ford. Came close once when I found an early Bronco for $4k about 20 years ago in good condition. But when I returned from the bank to buy it the price went up to $5k. They said it was a typo on the price list. You can tell a dealership is lying if their lips are moving.

Sorry to pile on the Ford hate, but Ford hasn't made a decent vehicle since 1970. GM suffered about the same fate but did keep a decent truck line, and a few winners with the small block Chevy thru the 80's and 90's. Mopar also crashed during the gas crunch but figured out a winning combination when they put a medium duty Cummins in a light truck. The power stroke has always been the puny joke trying to keep up. And yes I have driven them all as a professional driver. I have also worked on them all before and can tell you that almost any job on a Ford takes twice as long and twice as many tools as other makes. It also cost 3 times more in parts than a Chevy and you can't find parts in a junkyard because that part was only used for one year and they all broke. But let me step down from my Ford bashing platform now.

If you take your vehicle to a dealership to get work done, you better be a millionaire. I am only a shade tree mechanic but I work on all my own vehicles. If I have to take it somewhere to have work done, I know the mechanic personally or he comes highly recommend. Also they can forget the "no customers in the shop" rule because if you tell me something is broken that I didn't already know about, you will take me back and show me. My response will normally be that I will fix that on my own, but I also look every thing over before it goes in. If they cut a belt to try to sale me one I will know about it and when I find out everyone else will as well. I really wish we didn't live in a world where everyone is out to get you, but knowing this makes me a realist even if I am paranoid.

$15k isn't too bad if that is including labor. (Yes I know, it's frigging nuts, but somehow that's a "normal" cost!... Hell most of the vehicles I've owned never cost that much even!)

My buddy has an 08 F350 that needs a new 6.4L, looking at $20k for it.

I’m sorry you’re having those problems. Methinks the prior owner ran the dog piss out of that truck and you bought something ready to let go. I can’t say I’ve had those problems of any of those motors. Especially not with that few miles.

It also seems like your dealer is trying to screw you. The price for a new engine seems right, but at 74,000 there shouldn’t be a reason for a new block. I also think they should have finished their teardown before they called you multiple times with each time being worse. That seems fishy to me. Maybe it’s because I have mine trained to call me once, once they have everything sorted, or because we do most maintenance in house.

Chevy builds a really good truck right now, IFS or not. Dodge has gotten a lot better with their HD trucks over the last five years or so but I’m still leary of buying one and that’s what I tell everyone who asks. Dodge has had issues for a long time with building a crappy truck around a great engine in the Cummins or HEMI.

My next truck will be either a Ford or a Chevy. And I’m pretty hard to convince away from Caterpillar/Ford/PACCAR (Peterbilt & Kenworth) /Case for equipment. A lot of guys like Dodge trucks... That drag around camper trailers. I see a lot of 3500s rolling on giant tires that are pavement queens. They also seem to attract the loud mouthed pipeliner crowd. While most of the pickup trucks I see working are Ford or Chevy. I’m just making an observation.

What a Sh_tshow. We have used the F350 diesels for work since 08. Never had a catastrophic engine failure. 3 trucks at a time. 2 in service and one queen that steps in if needed. These trucks are purchased new. They get hooked to 30 foot gooseneck trailer's immediately. 99% of the miles are fully loaded. Loads of 20-26,000 lbs is common. Likely not always legal. Shhh. 100,000 miles is the absolute longest any have been kept. The 08 model was starting to cause trouble at 80,000. Tried to milk it out but gave up as the small nickel and dime BS didn't work commercially. Gone! Moved up.
Around us all the guys with trouble are the ones using the truck to grab grocery's! I think these trucks need to run under load to keep them together? Not sure. Seems counterintuitive but?
Sorry to hear of your troubles. Best of luck with getting back up and running.

I'm with everyone else in here. Cummins is the way to go. Been building diesel engines for 100 years as of this year. Started downsizing them for this market back in late 70's. Plus I grew up in Columbus, Indiana and my dad was an engineer on the project.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

We have used the F350 diesels for work since 08. Never had a catastrophic engine failure. 3 trucks at a time. 2 in service and one queen that steps in if needed. These trucks are purchased new. They get hooked to 30 foot gooseneck trailer's immediately. 99% of the miles are fully loaded. Loads of 20-26,000 lbs is common. Likely not always legal. Shhh. 100,000 miles is the absolute longest any have been kept.
Over by 100k? Sounds like you are providing my point. Cummins typically go 300k before little things go bad and commonly go 500k before an inframe. Of course I come from a world of 500hp Cat C-15s that I have seen several go over 1million miles without problems. I put 1.5 million on a Detroit 60 in a 94 FLD on the original bottom end before the tranny broke a mainshaft and I stopped driving it.

I have heard about the rust issues on other brands before, but I have seen a few rusted out Fords over the years also. I have a Chevy that needs new cab corners, but the previous owners didn't keep it clean and painted. I'll take a fresh undercoat every 5-10 years over a new engine under 100k miles any day.

Over by 100k? Sounds like you are providing my point. Cummins typically go 300k before little things go bad and commonly go 500k before an inframe. Of course I come from a world of 500hp Cat C-15s that I have seen several go over 1million miles without problems. I put 1.5 million on a Detroit 60 in a 94 FLD on the original bottom end before the tranny broke a mainshaft and I stopped driving it.

I have heard about the rust issues on other brands before, but I have seen a few rusted out Fords over the years also. I have a Chevy that needs new cab corners, but the previous owners didn't keep it clean and painted. I'll take a fresh undercoat every 5-10 years over a new engine under 100k miles any day.

If you use a one ton hard in commercial use it’s about done, or it needs a lot of work around 100,000 miles, regardless of if it has an ISB, Powerstroke or Duramax. Think about what a one ton does in industry. Cold start, usually little warm up, run out, shut off, start again, run hard, shut off, these things get thermal cycled to death. Clessie Cummins himself would tell you not to expect much life.

The T800 we have has a 3406 in it, and it’s great, even tuned up a fair ways to 600. But the truck around it is built essentially to be flogged. I expect to do 300,000 before an in frame. Admittedly, this truck is mostly a lowboy hauler and drags around Cat 345s & D8s in one piece. I’ve driven a bunch of trucks with Series 60s in them, damn fine power plant. The ISX15 is probably the best power plant on the market for a new truck now that Cat is not in on-highway anymore.

But what you get in a class 8 truck doesn’t translate to one ton trucks. They all die prematurely.

Over by 100k? Sounds like you are providing my point.

Let me elaborate a bit. The trucks are far from done in any way shape or form. The trade value at this point is good. They still look almost new except for the box interior.

Also. The value of shiny new looking hardware on jobsites has proven itself in this business many times over. Inspectors love contractors who run nice equipment. It reflects well on your quality of work. Many times they roll there eyes at contractors with tough looking equipment. Human nature I guess! I didn't write the rules. Soo.... No offense to contractors doing excellent work with far less than new. I know your out there. I was one once. A entirely different topic:) Carry on!

Do yourself a favor if they fix the truck. Ask for all the old parts, dont leave nothing behind. I had a chevy 2500 I took to the dealer to have a leaking manifold gasket replaced. They claimed the mainfold was cracked and put on a new one. $600 parts and labor. I asked for the old manifold and couldnt see any crack. took manifold to machine shop and had it magnafluxed. No crack. I went back to the dealer and told them what I found, while there I then called the fleet administrator in charge of taking care of mainenance. Then shop guy and dealer guy did a little talking and I dont know what was said, but I do know the bill was adjusted. I also got orders from the fleet administrator not to take any more trucks to that chevy dealership. We probably ran 100 trucks a year thru that dealership for service. That all came to a end because of one case of price gougeing.

Let me elaborate a bit. The trucks are far from done in any way shape or form. The trade value at this point is good. They still look almost new except for the box interior.

Also. The value of shiny new looking hardware on jobsites has proven itself in this business many times over. Inspectors love contractors who run nice equipment. It reflects well on your quality of work. Many times they roll there eyes at contractors with tough looking equipment. Human nature I guess! I didn't write the rules. Soo.... No offense to contractors doing excellent work with far less than new. I know your out there. I was one once. A entirely different topic:) Carry on!

That’s the truth, when I’m in my pos flatbed (92 f350 with 349k on it) and pull up to a supply place or home depot/Lowe’s people look at you different than if you pull up in a nice clean shiny utility body truck.

Do yourself a favor if they fix the truck. Ask for all the old parts, dont leave nothing behind. I had a chevy 2500 I took to the dealer to have a leaking manifold gasket replaced. They claimed the mainfold was cracked and put on a new one. $600 parts and labor. I asked for the old manifold and couldnt see any crack. took manifold to machine shop and had it magnafluxed. No crack. I went back to the dealer and told them what I found, while there I then called the fleet administrator in charge of taking care of mainenance. Then shop guy and dealer guy did a little talking and I dont know what was said, but I do know the bill was adjusted. I also got orders from the fleet administrator not to take any more trucks to that chevy dealership. We probably ran 100 trucks a year thru that dealership for service. That all came to a end because of one case of price gougeing.

I pulled it out of the dealership, ford wasn’t going to help me out with any of the repair work so no need to pay dealership premiums.

The shop it’s at now is documenting everything and I’ll be stopping by a few times during the week to check up on it.

Unfortunately the long block carries a $3,000 core charge, short blocks are about $2,000. The heads are $1,000 core charges I believe.

That’s the truth, when I’m in my pos flatbed (92 f350 with 349k on it) and pull up to a supply place or home depot/Lowe’s people look at you different than if you pull up in a nice clean shiny utility body truck.
That would be the difference between you and me. I don't care what people think and I get real noisy when I get funny looks.
Besides the money I saved on the truck will but lots of stuff at the supply house. They never see my truck before I pull it up to load the stuff I have bought anyway.
In all honesty I have the cab corners to fix my rust issues and a paint gun to make my 90 K2500 shiny once I get a few other more pressing projects done.

If you use a one ton hard in commercial use it’s about done, or it needs a lot of work around 100,000 miles, regardless of if it has an ISB, Powerstroke or Duramax. Think about what a one ton does in industry. Cold start, usually little warm up, run out, shut off, start again, run hard, shut off, these things get thermal cycled to death.
I drove for a small company that ran everything from Chevy Astro vans up to long nose Petes. I hauled an 1600 lbs pallet on an 1000 mile trip one way on an Astro Van one weekend and had to be back by Monday morning for my regular route to show you how hard we ran. Saw a PowerStroke go 300k before it spit a piston out the side of the block. The 4x4 Dodge had to have the front axle redone around 200k but the Cummins was still pulling strong past 300k. The 2wd Dodge needed front ball joints every 150k but the last time I drove it I ran off and left a Miata on an uphill curvy road with 350k on the Cummins. Someone ran it off a bridge later that year.
To be fair my normal truck was F650 with a Cummins that had the head redone at 100k while it was in the shop for a tooth missing on the flywheel. I did haul between 10k-30k of cargo on this 26k GVWR truck about once a week. I know that is why the driveshaft went and could have affected the engine also. I blame the fuel delivery issues and the crappy air conditioner on Ford though.

Back