My $65000 cigarette lighter (Powerstroke diesel)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You might wanna do some reading up on International.

They didn't just happen to put out a dependable engine.

I think you’re misinterpreting that post. I’ve used plenty of trucks & equipment powered by a DT466 and their over the road engines are good. International builds a good engine, and used to build some really good heavy equipment. But the 7.3, for its displacement, was pretty disappointing in that application. They lasted a long time, but they weren’t very powerful despite being good on fuel for its displacement.

Says who? :)

I get what you're saying, people do make judgments about appearances, to me a work truck is a work truck. The less it stays out of my wallet, the better.

Unfortunately that’s Part of the game, when I’m getting prices from roofing subs and they pull up in a Camry with a wheelbarrow in the front seat or a beat ass f250 leaking oil, It’s gonna be a no go from me.

I think you’re misinterpreting that post. I’ve used plenty of trucks & equipment powered by a DT466 and their over the road engines are good. International builds a good engine, and used to build some really good heavy equipment. But the 7.3, for its displacement, was pretty disappointing in that application. They lasted a long time, but they weren’t very powerful despite being good on fuel for its displacement.

I got ya, the way you worded it made it sound like they got lucky and put out a dependable engine.

Think about the times, when the 7.3 came out there weren't comparable engines pushing 500 hp and 1000 ft lbs. We're talking gas engines that put out abysmal numbers, some of those trucks pushing 25,000 lbs of weight. I think you're having trouble forgetting about what has come since.

Unfortunately that’s Part of the game, when I’m getting prices from roofing subs and they pull up in a Camry with a wheelbarrow in the front seat or a beat ass f250 leaking oil, It’s gonna be a no go from me.

Is there not something in between? I'd say your clean square body there would fall right in between.

I got ya, the way you worded it made it sound like they got lucky and put out a dependable engine.

Think about the times, when the 7.3 came out there weren't comparable engines pushing 500 hp and 1000 ft lbs. We're talking gas engines that put out abysmal numbers, some of those trucks pushing 25,000 lbs of weight. I think you're having trouble forgetting about what has come since.

Is there not something in between? I'd say your clean square body there would fall right in between.

As the owner of a 2002 F-350, the Dodge trucks of that era drive as far as acceleration and better with anything more than 10,000 lbs behind them (when the transmission is in one piece), and the Navistar six liters drive better with those same loads. The 7.3 is dependable, and has been for over 375,000 miles now, never leaving me stranded anywhere. Admittedly, it’s had the injectors every 125,000 or so, but that’s due for any engine at that point, and other general PMs. But it is not something that goes anywhere in a hurry, even with a 3” pipe straight back from the turbo. They have a big bore/short stroke and have to build up some rpm before they make much power, it’s just the nature of the beast with that engine.

I don’t like how much power the new trucks put out, it’s wasted, and the wheels spin too easily unloaded. I think 300/650 out of an engine with a long stroke is a good compromise to move the truck & trailer. I really don’t like the fact I can have a GCVWR that requires a class A in a 3/4 or 1 ton now. Sure the truck will move it but if the trailer brakes go it’s game over unless the ground is flat.

As far as appearance? If that square body is clean, runs well, and sounds okay I would take it to any bid. Very few residential customers know the difference between a new truck and an old one. They will notice the difference between a ratty POS and a well kept truck. Commercial guys, especially those with similar vehicles know better, but if they’re any good at business they’ll understand that the end product is what matters and will recognize you take care of your equipment.

Those are real vehicles people came to bid a ~$25k slate roof repair/ replace. I’ve had people take the bus or the train to bid rough plumb ins for whole houses we were building... bottom line is people care what you drive most of the time, it reflects on you as a business owner. My firewood customers wouldn’t care if I showed up in a brand new f550 dump or I was in $600 beat f150. As long as my price and quality of wood were the same. But that’s not how it is in the construction industry.

3A638E43-5CCF-45AB-AC37-C94735420871.jpeg 70874EB7-4C02-4A88-A20F-6001BC458A68.jpeg

Got it back the 30th of April, that’s the first receipt. Second is from the previous owner, note the mileage in both. 63k for the fuel system and 74k for the long block. So in the past 11,000 miles this truck has had $20,000 worth of work. Pretty wild for a 2014 if you ask me.

The truck itself is fine, it’s exactly what I had before I dumped 11,000 dollars in it. I have pulled over 4 times since I got it back because I thought I heard a clang or bang, some other weird noise... I’m paranoid about it breaking again. I don’t want to have to put another dime into this freaking truck other than oil changes and fuel filters.

I might sell it, I’m into this thing pretty deep so I’ll loose money on it but honestly it’s been a headache since day one and I have a bad taste in my mouth from it.

I feel for you and Im a Ford man too, that is why I am hesitant to buy a new truck. Bought this '86/6.9 in 2006 from a friend & original owner with 40k miles on it. Ive put a little work into it, not much. I just spent $1k on tires-14/18 mpg hwy.

20180121_161801.jpg 20171124_114709.jpg Capture+_2019-07-07-17-56-56-1.png

wish i still had my 6.9 but the red death took everything except the drive train.
Im having a few areas starting over the years. I might see if there are cab/ body-swap mods, but Im getting tired. So, I am mindful of the reputations of the new/er trucks- keeping my pennies in hand. But, I will never buy the first two years of the technology because I do not want to be their test platform like so many of the newer 6.s. And, looking at the newer payloads and fuel mileage of the gassers against all of the sensitivities of the diesels, makes me think the newer diesels are for suckers.

Im having a few areas starting over the years. I might see if there are cab/ body-swap mods, but Im getting tired. So, I am mindful of the reputations of the new/er trucks- keeping my pennies in hand. But, I will never buy the first two years of the technology because I do not want to be their test platform like so many of the newer 6.s. And, looking at the newer payloads and fuel mileage of the gassers against all of the sensitivities of the diesels, makes me think the newer diesels are for suckers.
Yep sold my 250 diesel and bought a gasser. Don't notice much in towing but I like the 50 cents a gallon difference in fuel price at fill up.

they work pretty well once you delete the epa stuff- which is causing most of the problems- course in the 6.4 they have the HPOP pushed to the ragged edge. Removing the sulfur content of the fuel didn't help anyone ( sulfur = lubricant) I ran a F350 v10 for about 15 years ( 1999 version) Exhaust Manifold bolts and egr valve failure ( common industry wide) it was a tough rig the only thing the diesel at the time (7.3 turbo) had an advantage at was long haul towing. Other than that the hp and torque were within in a few ft lbs of each other. I never had any spark plug failures or blow outs. I have an 04 F250 6.0 deleted main problem there is front end got to rebuild it including power steering pump and gear box apx 180k on that one. 06 f250 5.4 engine ok red death on the rest of it 160k. The road de-icing agents are insidious as the just vapor is highly corrosive. Gets into nooks and crannies that you can't seal or wash.

Back