My Biggest Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jere39

Outdoorsman and Pup
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I know, a PA guy hasn't got a chance at the biggest tree among members here at Aboristsite. But for a quick adventure, my grandson and I stomped around my woods looking for and measuring trees to find my biggest single trunk tree here on my property. I'm not sure this is it, a 4 year old only has a certain amount of attention span, but this Tulip Poplar won for the day at 142" CMH (circumference Matthew height).

IMG_8517.jpg

Of course there are a bunch of double, triple, even a quad trunk Oak that would technically measure bigger at the base, but I didn't count them. And, the grand-daddy white Oak of my wood lot is bigger, but has died a couple years ago, so I didn't count it either.

Just an interesting thing to do.

Nice work taking the kid out and doing something fun which could be impressionable on him for the future. My grandfather used to take me out and talk about trees. He would ask me to identify trees based upon leaves or bark. This is a skill I still use today.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Fun times for the kid. In SE MN we don't have that big of trees either, but I know of a record bur oak nearby that is 450 inches around! Any day in the woods is a good day.

Matthew and I spotted another contender and measured this Red Oak up at 153" GMH (Girth Matthew Height).

IMG_8577.jpg

We'll keep looking on another day. But for today, we're working in short sleeved T-Shirts in November. Hmmmm, is this a sign of GW, or just a teaser before the real cold starts?

This old monster is over 8' across at the base. At one of the Quabbin entrances. I believe they've since cut most of it down, except for the main trunk up about 10-15 feet

This one was at a nearby golf course. Also in the 7-8' range

Biggest on my property is this old Sugar Maple. About 4' across

Latest posts

Back