My BIL, a good guy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveH

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
My bro-in-law bought an MS 250 last year after a lot of research. Perfect for him. He's one of the really good guys, too. Lives a few blocks from my elderly mother, and I live almost a thousand miles away, so he's stuck with doing a lot of fix and repair and install duties for her. Which he does with unfailing humor and smiles. Middle of the night and her water line freezes? He's up and over there.

Anyhow, I also have a younger brother who is an idiot. And selfish and greedy.
The BIL goes over to mom's yesterday to trim off two 14 inch diameter by 25 ft. long limbs, dead, in a large tree...one limb out over my mother's house, the other over a neighbor's. The tree removal service wanted $2,000. Mother, on SS, had about zero. So BIL says, again, ok, he'll take care of it.

It's 100 degrees F., he works all day to very, very carefully trim up these limbs to shorten them, and to avoid damage to a myriad of "stuff" in those yards, plus the houses and two picture windows.

Little brother the jerk comes by and BIL asks for ten minutes assistance lowering the largest limb, now trimmed down to a 12-inch by 14 ft. long log, from the tree, all roped off safely and BIL will make final cut if brother will just stand off a ways and JUST HOLD the rope. BIL looks down, just before he cuts, and brother has let go the rope and pulled out his cell phone, which he's dialing. Some cussin' and etc., brother puts the phone away and picks up the rope, griping.

BIL makes final little cut, the limb begins to move, he looks down and my brother is walking off and drops the rope, moving towards his car. The limb, which BIL figures weighs 200#, falls butt end down [the rope dragged on the overhead limb a bit and so the limb hesitated just a second], flipped up on one end, moves over a ways to where it was unexpected, and "pile-drove" itself right down to the ground.

Well, except it was insulated from the ground by BIL's almost new MS 250. Yep, he said you couldn't have dropped the flat end of the limb any more perfectly onto his saw. My brother just called over, hey, it wasn't his fault, and drove off.

It will come as no surprise that I'm really good buddies with my BIL and haven't spoken with that brother in over fifteen years.

And, yes, BIL should have moved his saw farther away. It was blistering hot, he was sweltering, all brother had to do was just hold the end of the rope for thirty more seconds.

Last edited:
Can't live with 'em... stop right there

That falls under the heading of "you can pick your nose but you can't pick your family." My little sister is very similar in that kind of clueless department.

Hey guys, how about we start a fund and pitch in a $5, $10 or $20 bill to help replace the saw? A good B-I-L like that needs a pat on the back instead of a kick in the teeth. I'm willing to send an envelope; maybe some others can join in? Steve, PM me please if you're cool with the idea. I don't mean to be pushy, just trying to help out.

I'm in for a donation. Paypal would be handy but give a mailing address if no Paypal.

Where to send $$?

I was thinking about this, and if privacy is an issue, I'd be willing to send my donation to the local saw dealer under your BIL's name--if he's on trustworthy terms with the dealer. Just a thought.

So how about sending $ donations to brad for an OEM top end for it? I'm in. Maybe he has Paypal?

I will be willing to chip in some money for the parts needed for either saw. Brad had mentioned OEM parts from bcorradi for the 026 in the other thread. PM me and let me know what is needed....

Back