My bought cord

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last year I bought a so called cord of wood while I was waiting on wood to dry. I paid 185 for it and it was nice oak that looked seasoned but he sammed me . I threw some in and the water was just sizzling out of it.:mad: I had to re split everything down to 2 to 3 inch wide pieces and put all around stove to dry. It made so much creo. Tryed to get a hold of guy but he never returned my calls. I just dont understand how these guys can stay in business pulling crap like this. Thank god I dont have to buy wood anymore. If you want it right you have to do it yourself.

If I were buying wood (and I don't), I'd make sure I had a good moisture meter in hand. Pull a couple random pieces, split them down the middle, and take a reading with the seller on site. If it didn't pass the they'd be taking it back.

Well aside from the crooks and getting shorted hows that new stove working out for you and the family, everyone warm and happy?

We love it, especially the wife. Just got our first full gas bill since installing it and its a little over half what it usually is so there's no complaints. The first cord I bought was filthy so I brushed off each piece as I loaded it into the wheelbarrow. PITA but it kept the firebox and glass cleaner. That turned out to add a ton of time and effort into what should of been an easy job. This load's clean, there's just no enough of it. Overall, it's a great appliance - the wife and kids love it and I'm saving some money. :msp_biggrin:

From the WTF files, I just had my second cord delivered and I'm short almost the same amount.

Average length is 15.5", I have a 17' stack that's 4' high. Bunch of f*****g crooks in this place. I'll bet this guy doesn't return my call.

Forgot to post, this is not the same guy as the first cord.[/QUOTE

Did you try to buy from the first guy again? Since he knows you know a little something!

Smokee, after reading this whole thread sorry to hear about getting shafted..twice. I always hate hearing stuff like this as a firewood seller. I have been doing this a while and know what a cord looks like and that is what I deliver. At least the first guy made it right and delivered the rest, have you called the second guy on the "short" yet. This is what my cord of wood looks like, only the end gets stacked to help keep it on the truck. Never had a complaint about being short.

From the WTF files, I just had my second cord delivered and I'm short almost the same amount.

Average length is 15.5", I have a 17' stack that's 4' high. Bunch of f*****g crooks in this place. I'll bet this guy doesn't return my call.

Forgot to post, this is not the same guy as the first cord.

I got 3 cherry logs laying here, that you can have for free. They need to be cut up and split. Probably be a nice pickup load split.

Well, I haven't heard from the guy in days. He was suppose to stop out and take a look at what I got but never did. I think I'm doing a stop payment on the check and going to let him come out and load it up and take it back.

Here's the specs again: Average length is 15.5", I have a 17' stack that's 4' high.

If I'm wrong, please let me know. The math doesn't work out for me. Here's a pic too.

9C36AEB0-8160-4364-826D-0263CE837C5D-4768-000007D765C8F083.jpg

What a great way to start in this endeavor. Just can't believe the luck. From now on, the wood will be stacked and accounted for before any money changes hands. I hate to be this way! I tend to give ppl a chance but enough is enough. We'll stack it while u watch. If its short u can bring the remainder or u can load it back up yourself. Don't like it, keep your wood.

I have this wood stacked on 2x3's. 2 side by side and 3 sets long for 24'.

Last edited:
There are probably firewood sellers that don't know what a cord is!

Oh I think most know but they are just trying to screw people over. If they beat you by 33 percent of a cord and sold it to 3 people thats 1 extra for them to sell. Acually 1 and a 3rd because the next is going to get 2/3 rds of a cord And so on and so on

Well, I haven't heard from the guy in days. He was suppose to stop out and take a look at what I got but never did. I think I'm doing a stop payment on the check and going to let him come out and load it up and take it back.

Here's the specs again: Average length is 15.5", I have a 17' stack that's 4' high.

If I'm wrong, please let me know. The math doesn't work out for me. Here's a pic too.

9C36AEB0-8160-4364-826D-0263CE837C5D-4768-000007D765C8F083.jpg

What a great way to start in this endeavor. Just can't believe the luck. From now on, the wood will be stacked and accounted for before any money changes hands. I hate to be this way! I tend to give ppl a chance but enough is enough. We'll stack it while u watch. If its short u can bring the remainder or u can load it back up yourself. Don't like it, keep your wood.

I have this wood stacked on 2x3's. 2 side by side and 3 sets long for 24'.

If he doesnt make good on it like a good business man would find out where his yard is an throw a piece of his wood through his truck window with a mesage on it,saying stop ripping people off dic*

Oh I think most know but they are just trying to screw people over. If they beat you by 33 percent of a cord and sold it to 3 people thats 1 extra for them to sell. Acually 1 and a 3rd because the next is going to get 2/3 rds of a cord And so on and so on

Yah, he knew what he was doing. Said he's been doing this for 27 years and knows what a cord is. I said I've been doing it for 3 months and I know that it's not a full cord. Two 4 door pickup loads thrown in, not stacked. It couldn't of been more than a 5' bed. This is how it goes... I either bend over and be shafted or be the PITA who's going to hover over the seller.

Yah, he knew what he was doing. Said he's been doing this for 27 years and knows what a cord is. I said I've been doing it for 3 months and I know that it's not a full cord. Two 4 door pickup loads thrown in, not stacked. It couldn't of been more than a 5' bed. This is how it goes... I either bend over and be shafted or be the PITA who's going to hover over the seller.

If you or somebody doesnt stop this jackass he will keep ripping off hard working people that pay him good money to sell them a cord of wood. He wont stop to someone rips him a new one or call weights and measures or something. Personaly I dont beleive in calling cops or any other agency. I would rather handle him myself.:buttkick:

I am by no means a passive person but shooting him wont get you your wood. But some people just don't get it... 20 gal of diesel and his wood pile?

Sent from my USCCADR3305 using Tapatalk 2

I am by no means a passive person but shooting him wont get you your wood. But some people just don't get it... 20 gal of diesel and his wood pile?

Sent from my USCCADR3305 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah I wouldnt shoot him but I might smash his face if it came to that. But the idea is to get even and not go to jail doing it. Thats the last resort. Hopefully he is man and can say he made a mistake even though he knows what he did and give you th rest of your wood plus he should throw some extra in for good measure.

Maybe you need to go to the sellers site once and watch him load to make sure he puts the full amount on the trucks? This way you can see how they store and load it. I could see if they just drop everything off the conveyor onto the ground and then just throw it into the truck they could be out by alot. I know myself I sometimes cut limbs to length in the bush and then take it home to stack and that the amounts vary alot. I use a 7x9 flatbed truck and I'm sure the loads would be at least a face cord (oh no he didn't) different from load to load. This is just another reason why I'm a fan of "so many dollars for this pile of wood, take it or leave it". I'm pretty sure he isn't gonna sit there while you stack the wood. That's quite abit to be short but I'll bet you are getting talked about at their yard. I guess it's quite abit different over here or maybe it's just that there isn't very many sellers here. I've bought wood in log form before and after split and piled it's always added up to more than what they say it was. Maybe that's the difference here they always say it's less wood?

If you or somebody doesnt stop this jackass he will keep ripping off hard working people that pay him good money to sell them a cord of wood. He wont stop to someone rips him a new one or call weights and measures or something. Personaly I dont beleive in calling cops or any other agency. I would rather handle him myself.:buttkick:

I don't think that one person can stop a seller from selling short, unless the authorities give a rat's hind end, which I think mostly they don't. A short/wet load of wood isn't worth ANY time in jail. I know there are firewood sellers who are real firewood guys themselves -- they burn wood, they take pride in their product. But a lot of firewood buyers aren't very knowledgeable or critical; anything more than an armload looks like a LOT of wood, they're burning it in a fireplace where it gets lots of air, and it's natural, though regrettable, that sellers exist who take advantage of that. Until most buyers know what a cord of wood is and how it should burn, it will be happy hunting for those who deliver a product like discussed in this thread. I would guess that many sellers who do a good job have standing orders that take care of most of their production, and word of mouth on their product is good enough that they don't advertise much -- so a guy needing wood in a pinch and looking on Craigslist has a greater chance of running into one of the fast and loose sellers.

Then again, I read posts here about how firewood hasn't been selling because of the weather. Who knows.

I see the complexity of the measurements here. It just makes it possible to 'cheat' and deliver less wood than an honest supplier. But when they agree on a cord, it should be a cord. No discussion possible. But not much that you can do against it I think. I'm pretty surprised the 1st supplier brought you some more wood to compensate, maybe just to save his reputation or he does mean it right but just made a mistake.
Imo, a good supplier always delivers a little bit more than the volume he says, doesn't get you into trouble and gets you a good reputation. That's what I try to do. I also post the sizes of the stacked wood when I put it online, if it's a little over a cord, I sell it as a cord. The customers appreciate it and will come back.

The measurement things are also going on here in Belgium. We had a cubic metre, meaning 1m x 1m x 1m. Then we got a 'stère' which is 1m x 1m x 1m because a cubic metre has air in it so it isn't really a cubic metre of pure wood. So if you sell a cubic metre, the volume should be bigger so that it really holds 1 cubic metre of wood + the air. Others say a 'stère' is 1m x 1m x 1m wood in lengths of 1m so a cubic metre of wood is the same size but cut into shorter lengths. Then there is the discussion that the same volume holds more/less long wood than short wood etc. Most over here say that you can stack shorter pieces better so you'll end up with more wood than when you have long pieces. They count at least a 20% difference, more on harder woods (up to 50%)! All sorts of talk to make it complicated, make it hard to see what you are paying and what you are getting. I check the prices in my neighborhood from time to time but it's just getting too hard to see how much they are really selling.

I got logs recently and they are 20 'stère'. I yet have to see how much stacked wood I can get out of it now before I really know how much I payed. It should be more, but usually it's a little bit less.

I just put my measurements online, my prices. Get it or leave it, but you'll get what I promise you and what you pay for. I hope you can get into contact with your second supplier but I doubt he'll get you the extra wood. Good for you that you can burn your own wood starting next year! Less crap about the quantity and you're sure about the quality! Good luck with it!

is he calling it a cord, or a load. I know alot of people around here sell it by the dump truck load.

my brothers landscaping boss does that. he told me what the guy was stacking 16" in pre made 4'x8' ricks and calling two of those a load and selling it at full cord prices for around my area. I told him the guy was ripping people off for a third of a cord and he says when he brought it up to his boss the boss said "that's why i call it a load. they get a load and i know what is going out is the same all the time but it is not a cord." sad. but the guy has repeat business of multiple loads every year. but i think if it is sold as a cord it should darn well be a cord.

Latest posts

Back