My bought cord

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
is he calling it a cord, or a load. I know alot of people around here sell it by the dump truck load.

No ambiguity here. I spoke in specific terms asking "this is a full cord, not a face cord", "so, $150 for a full cord of hardwood", "is there any odd pieces of pine or poplar"... I learned a lot from the first cord, just not to not trust anyone when it comes to firewood.

I see the check was cashed so I'm going to give him a couple days to return my call then I'll call weights and measures just to see what they say. I'm pretty much writing it off.

As far as the delivery goes, the deal will be for me to stack it. If the seller doesn't like that idea I won't buy from them. Too much room for a screwing. I can drive and look at a stack but that doesn't mean that's what they'll load up. There's a dozen ways around delivering a full cord. I have 3 boys and my wife helps, we can stack a cord pretty fast.

The thing is, after this year I'll by using my own and won't have to buy for quite some time.

No ambiguity here. I spoke in specific terms asking "this is a full cord, not a face cord", "so, $150 for a full cord of hardwood", "is there any odd pieces of pine or poplar"... I learned a lot from the first cord, just not to not trust anyone when it comes to firewood.

I see the check was cashed so I'm going to give him a couple days to return my call then I'll call weights and measures just to see what they say. I'm pretty much writing it off.

As far as the delivery goes, the deal will be for me to stack it. If the seller doesn't like that idea I won't buy from them. Too much room for a screwing. I can drive and look at a stack but that doesn't mean that's what they'll load up. There's a dozen ways around delivering a full cord. I have 3 boys and my wife helps, we can stack a cord pretty fast.

The thing is, after this year I'll by using my own and won't have to buy for quite some time.

I would be damned if i would wait for someone to stake a load of wood i dropped off. There isnt that much money in wood, and for me to have to sit there waiting is just rediculas. I wont go calling weight and measures, just take it as a learning experience. I dont know what weight and measures would say, but i have a feeling, they may just laugh at you. Make sure you are there to see the wood delivered. You should be able to tell by the size of the pile if its close to a cord or not when dumped on the ground.

I would be damned if i would wait for someone to stake a load of wood i dropped off. There isnt that much money in wood, and for me to have to sit there waiting is just rediculas. I wont go calling weight and measures, just take it as a learning experience. I dont know what weight and measures would say, but i have a feeling, they may just laugh at you. Make sure you are there to see the wood delivered. You should be able to tell by the size of the pile if its close to a cord or not when dumped on the ground.

I'm sure there'll be some that won't want for their customers to do what they can to assure they got what they paid for. I have a few friends that recently got stoves/inserts and really have no idea exactly how much they should have dumped on their driveway - myself included. I questioned the amount that was there last week and was told "I've been doing this for 27 years and know how much a cord is". So what do you at that point?

I'm sure there'll be some that won't want for their customers to do what they can to assure they got what they paid for. I have a few friends that recently got stoves/inserts and really have no idea exactly how much they should have dumped on their driveway - myself included. I questioned the amount that was there last week and was told "I've been doing this for 27 years and know how much a cord is". So what do you at that point?

Stalk him till you can talk to him, tell him he has been doing it wrong for 27 years? :msp_biggrin:

Actually, the best thing to do at that point is to get yourself a trailer and then you go to their place and get the wood yourself. Stack it into your trailer so you know how many cubic feet you are loading, and go from there. If the guy has the wood stacked, you can just measure the stack length width and height and you would know at that point.

I am waiting on a guy to get here this morning to get 2 full cords of rounds. They are stacked @ 50 inches high+/- and 24 ft long, 16" wide. That's a bit over a cord. I always tell my customers I want them to get more than a cord but not 1/8th more. lol

Ted

Actually, the best thing to do at that point is to get yourself a trailer and then you go to their place and get the wood yourself. Stack it into your trailer so you know how many cubic feet you are loading, and go from there. If the guy has the wood stacked, you can just measure the stack length width and height and you would know at that point.

I am waiting on a guy to get here this morning to get 2 full cords of rounds. They are stacked @ 50 inches high+/- and 24 ft long, 16" wide. That's a bit over a cord. I always tell my customers I want them to get more than a cord but not 1/8th more. lol

Ted

I've been thinking of doing this. I do have access to a trailer, not big but it'll do.

Both guys that I've bought from swore what they dropped off was a full cord. What else are they going to say.

I've been thinking of doing this. I do have access to a trailer, not big but it'll do.

Both guys that I've bought from swore what they dropped off was a full cord. What else are they going to say.

The biggest problem is your buying a volume of wood. No two people will stake it the same, therefor each time, its a different volume of wood.

If you stack it extremely tight, you could probably almost get 1.5 cords in a stake that measures 4'x 4' x 8'

Last edited:
Around here, that could get you beatup or shot!

Yea just kidding. If I was in the same situation, I probably wouldn't try too hard to get the rest of the cord because the chance you would get it would be low to non existing here. Just let the supplier know you've got less than a cord. If they don't want to deliver the rest, I would just look for another supplier for the next delivery.
Doing the same with ordering logs. If I get less than ordered, I'll see what they say and if they always 'work like that', I go to another supplier. They won't bring more because you can't prove that you haven't removed any wood from what they have delivered.

Last edited:
Weights and Measures is no joke in PA especially when the Low Income Heating people are involved. If LIHEAP pays for two cords of wood and the seller only delivers one, they have double problems. The State and the County, not to mention the homeowner. Alot of landscapers sell wood in the winter for extra cash, they surely dont want a State Tax audit coming their way.

Weights and Measures is no joke in PA especially when the Low Income Heating people are involved. If LIHEAP pays for two cords of wood and the seller only delivers one, they have double problems. The State and the County, not to mention the homeowner. Alot of landscapers sell wood in the winter for extra cash, they surely dont want a State Tax audit coming their way.

what makes you think they arent collecting sales tax. I would be willing to bet $500 weight and measures dont do a damn thing.

First thing I'd like to say is most people DO NOT stack their wood but like to ##### when it's cold out that they got shorted. I hear this stuff all the time on the internet. If you want to know how much you got stack it or come pick it up and load your own wood. I sell it for eighty a cord of oak in the round and you load it where it lays. If you want it off the pile it will be buck ten. Delivered is much more but always cheaper than getting beat for said amount. I can not say much more because I am not a sponsor here on AS.

Here's what makes me laugh. "Can you deliver me a seasoned, split, dry cord of oak 30-50 miles for say 150-160 a cord?" LMFAO is all I can real say about that. I don't but should say "go buy mixed hardwood from Fly by Night because that is what you are willing to pay for."

I'll sell it by any measurement you like. When you pick it up cut and in the rounds you can have any length, type of what you want and any kind of dry seasoned, unseasoned, wet, green or any wood your heart desires for a very reasonable if not a down right cheap price. No one has ever complained about any wood I have ever sold delivered or not. If they did I did not hear about it.

The cord's just about gone in about 3 weeks of burning in my small insert. I'd say it wasn't a full cord.

:angry::angry::angry:

Being its been so cooled here lately, ( lows around 15 degrees, and highs under 30 degrees) You are gonna burn a crap load more wood. Plus your using a insert which isnt as efficiant as a wood stove with a blower. If your house isnt insulated good, thats gonna make you burn more wood also.

Guess you learned your lesson and gonna split your own wood from now on.

Being its been so cooled here lately, ( lows around 15 degrees, and highs under 30 degrees) You are gonna burn a crap load more wood. Plus your using a insert which isnt as efficiant as a wood stove with a blower. If your house isnt insulated good, thats gonna make you burn more wood also.

A half a cord's going to be gone twice as fast as a full cord. No science there. Only lesson I've learned is to not trust anyoneselling wood in this area. :bang:

WOW. Reading this thread has really opened my eyes. When I deliver mine, i always ask if they know what they are buying and how much of it. I explain to them i sell in 1/4 cord increments + a little buffer. I have more business than I can supply for right now. I'm honest and I don't sell junk. If a guy waffles and says, well I am not sure....I have a small truck that I can load about 1/4 in all stacked nice and tight. I take it to him for a reasonable fee and they show me what they want from my selection. We strike a deal 99% of the time. Quantity and quality.

Be honest, charge what is right and the business will be there. Sorry you had to grab your ankles twice brother. Wish I was closer to you.

WOW. Reading this thread has really opened my eyes. When I deliver mine, i always ask if they know what they are buying and how much of it. I explain to them i sell in 1/4 cord increments + a little buffer. I have more business than I can supply for right now. I'm honest and I don't sell junk. If a guy waffles and says, well I am not sure....I have a small truck that I can load about 1/4 in all stacked nice and tight. I take it to him for a reasonable fee and they show me what they want from my selection. We strike a deal 99% of the time. Quantity and quality.

Be honest, charge what is right and the business will be there. Sorry you had to grab your ankles twice brother. Wish I was closer to you.

Pay attention to juxtaposition. That last sentence really sounded weird.

He's been splitting his own wood, lots of it in fact before the stove went in. The only reason he's buying wood for this season is he's in his first year and the wood he laid in isn't ready yet. Two orders from different local suppliers and they both pulled the old short load he won't know any better trick.

You'd be mad to if the shoe was on the other foot.

Latest posts

Back