My bought cord

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He's been splitting his own wood, lots of it in fact before the stove went in. The only reason he's buying wood for this season is he's in his first year and the wood he laid in isn't ready yet. Two orders from different local suppliers and they both pulled the old short load he won't know any better trick.

You'd be mad to if the shoe was on the other foot.

He should not have let them dump it if he was unsure! You can not get a full cord in a mason dump.

There's clearly two different schools of thought here. I respect your opinion T2T even though I disagree. You clearly have knowledge about how much a cord looks like stacked in a multitude of ways as you've been doing this for some time. I'm the average homeowner though... I sit at a desk most of my day. I installed this insert mid-November and only have that much experience under my belt so I'm clearly disadvantaged. I am, however, a fast learner and am taking all this bulls**t in quickly. That being said, there should be absolutely no ambiguity when it comes to a commercial transaction based on volume. Whether its gas, home heating oil or a pound of chipped ham, all these items are governed by an official state entity to ensure the customer is getting what they pay for. Why is this? So the average consumer gets a fair transaction of what they expected and paid for. A cord of wood is no different.

This weekend the Directv guy was here and asked about my insert. We spoke for a while about burning wood. I asked about his experiences buying wood locally and, without saying anything about my two experiences, he said "Don't trust any of these guys, they're all crooks". The more I ask, the more I hear the same thing. There's clearly a problem here. He went on tell tell me a few of his stories of getting ripped off.

I'm done with this thread. Had I not of had a half a bottle of Maker's Mark in me from watching the game yesterday I wouldn't of got p****d off when I went out to bring wood in from what turned out to be a $150 half cord.

Last edited:
Pay attention to juxtaposition. That last sentence really sounded weird.

True. :laugh: good one!

LOL. Not intended that way. I'm sure he is a lovely guy.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

I am a "lovely guy" but I have a looker for a wife so I'm not on the market right now. Just kidding around... This made me laugh. Good stuff! (I like to put things like this in when she's sitting next to me watching her chick shows) :laugh:

I have a desk job too, and this was just the excuse (a couple of bad firewood purchases) I needed to get a wife-sanctioned hobby that got me outside. I love cutting and burning wood, and only wish I had started doing it years ago. Small price to pay for a little sanity.

I did a quick search and found this page:

Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture

Interestingly, the third item on their list is "firewood". I think I'll give them a call tomorrow. The wood's gone and is water under the bridge - live and learn (right?) But I'd like to get a feel for how these guys are regulated.

I don't expect them to do anything for me! No need to go on about it. :bang:

There's clearly two different schools of thought here. I respect your opinion T2T even though I disagree. You clearly have knowledge about how much a cord looks like stacked in a multitude of ways as you've been doing this for some time. I'm the average homeowner though... I sit at a desk most of my day. I installed this insert mid-November and only have that much experience under my belt so I'm clearly disadvantaged. I am, however, a fast learner and am taking all this bulls**t in quickly. That being said, there should be absolutely no ambiguity when it comes to a commercial transaction based on volume. Whether its gas, home heating oil or a pound of chipped ham, all these items are governed by an official state entity to ensure the customer is getting what they pay for. Why is this? So the average consumer gets a fair transaction of what they expected and paid for. A cord of wood is no different.

This weekend the Directv guy was here and asked about my insert. We spoke for a while about burning wood. I asked about his experiences buying wood locally and, without saying anything about my two experiences, he said "Don't trust any of these guys, they're all crooks". The more I ask, the more I hear the same thing. There's clearly a problem here. He went on tell tell me a few of his stories of getting ripped off.

I'm done with this thread. Had I not of had a half a bottle of Maker's Mark in me from watching the game yesterday I wouldn't of got p****d off when I went out to bring wood in from what turned out to be a $150 half cord.

You don't need this advice now but for others who may read it. Stack your wood and measure it as soon as you buy it. If short, don't even bother with the original seller, call the W&M people right off. Waiting until after you start burning won't help your case at all.

Harry K

I did a quick search and found this page:

Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture

Interestingly, the third item on their list is "firewood". I think I'll give them a call tomorrow. The wood's gone and is water under the bridge - live and learn (right?) But I'd like to get a feel for how these guys are regulated.

I don't expect them to do anything for me! No need to go on about it. :bang:

In general they are "regulated" by the statutes. In reality the W&M people rarely do anything about wood sales unless a customer complains. Not enough do.

Latest posts

Back