My Business Setup Opinions: SERIOUS INQUIRES PLZ

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Technically I think you're right. That's the way it's setup. We all know (business owners) how hard it is to turn a profit with all the money that needs to be withheld for taxes

Well, that's not really true. If you have employees you take withholding. If you contract out you don't have withholding but you pay more for the work.

Looks like to me that if you were allowed to do other work on your own it would satisfy the sub-contractor requirement, put more money in your pocket and possibly solve your problem.

Well, that's not really true. If you have employees you take withholding. If you contract out you don't have withholding but you pay more for the work.

Looks like to me that if you were allowed to do other work on your own it would satisfy the sub-contractor requirement, put more money in your pocket and possibly solve your problem.

I'm with the old man on that one. That might be the only recourse, while maintaining the relationship with your groomsmen.

I like this, but to be honest with you, if your clearing 200-500 a day and you work 5 days a week, with the equipment you have, your not doing too bad. I would take some of that money and buy something, even if it was something that allowed you to expand or get another crew moving. You are on the right track with wanting more of the business, but with the situation you have being exclusive to them your in a bind leverage wise.

Yeah, I would lose the exclusivity deal as well. I might not even tell them. But thats where you are losing out. If you could do your own thing and still contract with them that would be the best deal for you. in my opinion.

First off, if your good buddies with your company owners or not doesn't matter. Goodwill aside they will not slit their throat to help you advance your company. DO NOT get into their company for anything more than your paycheck. It would be as if you were in a partnership, the only ship that will not sail is a patnership! If your going to sub for them get your cut and be dependable to them, it is your obligation to work if they hire you. If your going to build your business do it too, as you can afford to, then go it on your own. I can't say it enough "KEEP BUSINESS BUSINESS"! If you are running under your own insurance when you work for them stop unless they will kick in for that in addition to your cut and bonuses. This is a high liability industry and you need to think of your home and family. My final suggestion do not advertise your wife, hot or not, it is degrading to your woman! Some day she will thank you for privacy.

$500/week cleared is good money in Texas? I have a summer hire (high school kid) and I'm paying him about that.

I think you need to start off small, one man operation until you have built some equity into the business. The first few years are rough, have to spend lots of money to make money, but you need to be really carefull!

I setup a $100k loan for starting up and it took just about all of it.

What's the deal with the photos? I'm glad your happy with your marriage and she is pretty, but it has nothing to do with the topic at hand. Not to mention you are treating her like she is a piece of property or something. "mine is better than yours"

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeeeez. I show off my saws and trucks cause I think they look good.

Women are God's artwork. And it's Beav's woman. His choice.

Thx Beav! Now go search The Chive.

I spoke with one of the owners for a little while the other day. He told they do not want to invest $$ into my equipment, but would give me a loan @ 5% if I needed it. The company would give me as much work as I could handle if I was to start a 2nd (trimming) crew to profit $200-300/day.
That's ok with me, I just wanted them to understand if I make the investment to start a 2nd crew that it would not go to waste. They still have to give work to the other crews, but would certainly take care of me.
View attachment 301004

Dude you are doing great! The guys you are getting work from are really doing an outstanding job. I wouldn't change a thing. I hope you can take the time to help me with some advice on how you do it. I

I mean, I only have a bucket, granted its a smaller 60 foot working height, a chip truck that can only hold 16 cubic yards and a slightly under powered chipper something like 122 hp. Along with all the other things like, chainsaws, ropes, clean up tools the works. I have a forman with only 27 years experience and two ground guys.

With that being said I struggle to clear $1200 a day and truth be told, emphasis on Truth We have a lot of $900 days.

Then I read a post of a guy with an F250, a goose neck trailer with wooden sides does 2k a day asking for advice? You my friend are a hero to me, keep up the great work!:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

He didn't say he cleared 2k a day,

Beav if you can get them to work with you on a loan and have a second crew pay for your equipment then your probably on as good a track as you can be.

If I'm clear on this. Your company does all the work and pays dump fees. They get 45% for a sales call and some marketing.

Keep it simple if you can. Ask for more %. If you are there #1 guy they want you doing the work. I think they are taking advantage of you.

Even if you get an extra 5% that's an extra 500.00 a week(5 day week). And you have no extra cost or payments. If they are not interested in that ditch the exclusivity that's just taking money from you.

I sub for a guy on occasion and he takes 25% of the job and pay for dump fees. He's just does sales.

Don't take a loan from them if you can get it for the same rate from a bank. You will then be stuck with them. Keep it simple.

Plus the extra 5% that adds 500.00/week would more then cover your loan on a truck and chipper set up (used set up). Not to mention the reduced amount of trips to the dump which may save some fuel cost.

Last edited:
If I'm clear on this. Your company does all the work and pays dump fees. They get 45% for a sales call and some marketing.

Keep it simple if you can. Ask for more %. If you are there #1 guy they want you doing the work. I think they are taking advantage of you.

Even if you get an extra 5% that's an extra 500.00 a week(5 day week). And you have no extra cost or payments. If they are not interested in that ditch the exclusivity that's just taking money from you.

I sub for a guy on occasion and he takes 25% of the job and pay for dump fees. He's just does sales.

I agree that they are taking advantage of you. Unless they are so good that they have the whole area tied up they aren't worth 45%.

Don't take a loan from them if you can get it for the same rate from a bank. You will then be stuck with them. Keep it simple.

Plus the extra 5% that adds 500.00/week would more then cover your loan on a truck and chipper set up (used set up). Not to mention the reduced amount of trips to the dump which may save some fuel cost.

I'd rather take a loan from the company at the same interest rate for the fact that they would be financially invested in me which would certainly guarantee me the good jobs and/or keep 2nd crew working. I don't want to make any quicky purchases, but we're just so fkn busy. You gotta cook while the grease is hot, but winter's coming and that's always a biatch. Guess I could always put up x-mas lights. NOT

Dude you are doing great! The guys you are getting work from are really doing an outstanding job. I wouldn't change a thing. I hope you can take the time to help me with some advice on how you do it. I

I mean, I only have a bucket, granted its a smaller 60 foot working height, a chip truck that can only hold 16 cubic yards and a slightly under powered chipper something like 122 hp. Along with all the other things like, chainsaws, ropes, clean up tools the works. I have a forman with only 27 years experience and two ground guys.

With that being said I struggle to clear $1200 a day and truth be told, emphasis on Truth We have a lot of $900 days.

Then I read a post of a guy with an F250, a goose neck trailer with wooden sides does 2k a day asking for advice? You my friend are a hero to me, keep up the great work!:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

If I was making $2k a day, yall would have to call me Mr. Beaver.

I agree that they are taking advantage of you. Unless they are so good that they have the whole area tied up they aren't worth 45%.

There's no way to tie up all of houston. They aren't taking advantage of me, since that's the agreement we had from the beginning. I do see my %'s moving up as a crew or they are considering myself managing all of the production & get a smaller % of all work completed. I will talk with them tomorrow evening and let yall know.

Also, trying to get a pic of wife in underwear with either climbing saddle or stihl 660. Which would yall prefer

Some days I pull in 4-5k, but then I can go a week without making anything too. Pulling in and clearing are way different too. Out of 5k in sales, I might have 2k of profit.

If I was making $2k a day, yall would have to call me Mr. Beaver.

Back