My Business Setup Opinions: SERIOUS INQUIRES PLZ

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some days I pull in 4-5k, but then I can go a week without making anything too. Pulling in and clearing are way different too. Out of 5k in sales, I might have 2k of profit.

I hear what you're saying. I appreciate all of y'all's input in the matter. Will post an update of conversation with owners tonight.

Look, Beav, yer doing fine, relax, take a pill, calm down, stop getting worked up and stop trying to get us worked up before you spin out of orbit.

" stay on target"

Red Leader 1- circa 1981

Look, Beav, yer doing fine, relax, take a pill, calm down, stop getting worked up and stop trying to get us worked up before you spin out of orbit.

" stay on target"

Red Leader 1- circa 1981

Will update y'all later. Wife wants to go to dinner even though I got to work Tom, clean/sharpen saws, clean truck, replace bulbs in truck light...not enough time in the day lately
View attachment 301277

I started a new thread on pics of our work if y'all interested

Will update y'all later. Wife wants to go to dinner even though I got to work Tom, clean/sharpen saws, clean truck, replace bulbs in truck light...not enough time in the day lately
View attachment 301277

I started a new thread on pics of our work if y'all interested

Yeah well save it fer her then. Other than that I just see a young guy in an inexorable orbit.

SITUATION: WHAT WOULD YOU DO

my crew is crashing pole in front yard. Rope tied to top of pole and tied to truck for leverage. My foreman is in the truck and climber cuts. Limb breaks 4x4 section of concrete sidewalk.

Who's responsible for $500 damage.
-both foreman and climber know what I'm going to do since we have had this conversation before.

Will post my decision later, but I would like to get opinions from y'all.

I don't know what crashing pole means but a 4x4 piece sidewalk doesn't cost $500 to replace.

If it's 6" thick that's only .25 yards, or about $30 of concrete. Maybe $100 in labor, $30 for some lumber for forms.

Yeah it will be $500, to match it will have to be poured from a truck, not a bag, around here a yard is $160, whether you need the whole thing or not, it will take a couple hours to get old out and a couple boards for new.....truck charge for concrete and delivery fee for small order.......$500 is a cheap fix. Then you have to stand there and wait for it to flash so you can broom it.

I would want my old concrete pressure washed to match the new 4x4.......

Its your fault(they work for you), you will have to pay for it, I would let it be a lesson learned and get back to work,
bucket trucks will break 3" of concrete in a hurry if there loaded and its hollow underneath, you can guess how I know.

The cost is not the issue. The issue is who pays for it. Me, foreman, climber, company I sub for, split-it between us?
They cut the remaining 30 feet left from base of tree after de-limbing and removing top.
FYI concrete section was cut out and replaced and an epoxy over-lay was put over complete 30x4 feet section of walkway.

I personally believe the homeowner should pay for it. They were the knuckle heads who either planted that tree near the sidewalk or had that sidewalk built near that tree, stupid home owners never think about the future.

I personally believe the homeowner should pay for it. They were the knuckle heads who either planted that tree near the sidewalk or had that sidewalk built near that tree, stupid home owners never think about the future.

Thanks for replying, but that ain't gonna work

The issue is who pays for it. Me, foreman, climber, company I sub for, split-it between us?

Your company (you). The company you sub for is going to say "have a nice day" and it is illegal to make your workers pay. Nothing says you can't take disiciplinary action against them or fire them though.

Actually the company you work for would be responsible if it were to go to court. They are the one billing the customer, I hadn't thought about the situation you are in when answering before, that's one of the good things about your situation. The work situation I mean.

Epoxy overlay sounds a bit extreme, but OK it would be feasable to pour the section out of a wheel borrow if that's the solution and might save money in the long run.

Who pays the insurance? File a claim. That's why you have it.

Actually the company you work for would be responsible if it were to go to court. They are the one billing the customer, I hadn't thought about the situation you are in when answering before, that's one of the good things about your situation. The work situation I mean.

Well yes, but the company (or their insurance) is going to kick it right back to you. I disagree that it's one of the good things about your situation. As a sub you were required have your own insurance that names the company you work for as insured to protect their ass in situations like this. Only way this could work out is if you have no insurance. :laugh:

The cost is not the issue. The issue is who pays for it. Me, foreman, climber, company I sub for, split-it between us?
They cut the remaining 30 feet left from base of tree after de-limbing and removing top.
FYI concrete section was cut out and replaced and an epoxy over-lay was put over complete 30x4 feet section of walkway.

I am still trying to figure out just what it is that you do there at your job. Alls I can tell is that you drive around with a big trailer.

As an independent sub-contractor myself I will be damned if I am paying for someone else's screw up.

I have been through this before too.

I am still trying to figure out just what it is that you do there at your job. Alls I can tell is that you drive around with a big trailer.

As an independent sub-contractor myself I will be damned if I am paying for someone else's screw up.

I have been through this before too.

I run my crew. Normally I am out there with them, but I've been updating my quickbooks and other misc.

I paid the $500 concrete fk up, but my guys will not get their monthly bonus and I don't pay for their lunch on fri for next 4 weeks. (I buy everyones lunch on fri)

Watching tv next to the woman and resting.
I have a started a 2nd crew and will be paid 70%. It will be used for smaller jobs trim jobs and medium size & non-technical removals. It will be a three man crew, and myself, who currently have been working for me for 2 months and are hard workers and ok English.

Would live to hear questions and/or feedback.

Latest posts

Back