My chainsaw doesn't get any fuel (I think)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PietHeyn

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everyone, i'm here because my chainsaw has got some problems, to the point where I want to throw it in my pond It is about a Kibani 58cc 20 inch. It had been working fine for about half a year, and suddenly it just stopped. I was cutting some trees, and suddenly it started to spin like crazy, and the on/off switch didn't work. Only after I hit the brake it stopped. I let it cool for a few minutes, then put some more fuel in it. It started After a few pulls, but it pulled right through the brake, and then stopped again, and the gas handle didn't work either. It was getting dark so I let it sit for the night. Next day I tried to start it, but it didn't do a thing. After that I tried basically everything i could think of. I checked the sparkplug, it had a nice blue spark. I checked the muffler for clogging, but no problem there. I thorougly cleaned the carburator, checked all the fuel hoses, everything perfect. Looked through the muffler hole at the piston, looks good. Checked the pressure by putting my thumb over the sparkplug hole, couldn't keep the air in. Then I tried putting a few teaspoons of gas in the sparkplug hole, and beng! It started. Only for a few brief second, and again spinning like crazy and through the brake AGAIN. I cleaned the carb again, checked all the fuel hoses again, checked the intake boot, all perfect. So now I can't really think of anything else to do. Anybody any clues? This message turned out to be a bit longer then expected, but now you guys have a bit of background info. Did anybody else have a simular experience? I am pretty dependant of this chainsaw btw. Greetz and thanks in avances Piet

And one more thing that I find weird, is that when the carb is disconnected, the fuel line to the tank keeps spitting fuel. Even when the hose is kept straight upwards. Is this normal?

Sounds like you have multiple things going on. Im not familiar with the brand but I'll try. The wire from the coil to the kill switch may have come lose or broken that would explain it not shutting off. It also sounds like you have a lean situation, could be an air leak. Hopefully someone more familiar with the brand will chime in.

Sounds like you have multiple things going on. Im not familiar with the brand but I'll try. The wire from the coil to the kill switch may have come lose or broken that would explain it not shutting off. It also sounds like you have a lean situation, could be an air leak. Hopefully someone more familiar with the brand will chime in.
Thanks, I've seen the wire of the killswitch, and it looked perfect, but I will take another look at it. And where would that airleak most likely be?

Could be seals or carburetor. Does that saw have a decomp?
Nope, does not have a decomp as far as I now. Seals as far as I could see looked good. Is there a way to test them? And the carb for air leak, could that be tested too?

Hello everyone, i'm here because my chainsaw has got some problems, to the point where I want to throw it in my pond It is about a Kibani 58cc 20 inch. It had been working fine for about half a year, and suddenly it just stopped. I was cutting some trees, and suddenly it started to spin like crazy, and the on/off switch didn't work. Only after I hit the brake it stopped. I let it cool for a few minutes, then put some more fuel in it. It started After a few pulls, but it pulled right through the brake, and then stopped again, and the gas handle didn't work either. It was getting dark so I let it sit for the night. Next day I tried to start it, but it didn't do a thing. After that I tried basically everything i could think of. I checked the sparkplug, it had a nice blue spark. I checked the muffler for clogging, but no problem there. I thorougly cleaned the carburator, checked all the fuel hoses, everything perfect. Looked through the muffler hole at the piston, looks good. Checked the pressure by putting my thumb over the sparkplug hole, couldn't keep the air in. Then I tried putting a few teaspoons of gas in the sparkplug hole, and beng! It started. Only for a few brief second, and again spinning like crazy and through the brake AGAIN. I cleaned the carb again, checked all the fuel hoses again, checked the intake boot, all perfect. So now I can't really think of anything else to do. Anybody any clues? This message turned out to be a bit longer then expected, but now you guys have a bit of background info. Did anybody else have a simular experience? I am pretty dependant of this chainsaw btw. Greetz and thanks in avances Piet
Throw it in the pond and buy a Stihl. Not joking.

Leak down test. I've never done one but many on here have. Also check your hoses again.

The shutting off problem could also be a broken contact spring.
Contact spring is not broken, just checked it. Same goes for wire of killswitch. Leak down test seems complicated, don't you need a special kit for that? And as for the hoses, there is one odd thing, and that is the fuel line from the tank to the carb. With the carb disconnected, it keeps spitting fuel, even when held upright. Is this normal ?

To check if tank vent is plugged you can check by running saw on its side, open fuel cap, if stays running as normal you found it. Air leaks around crank seals and cylinder base can be check with carb cleaner. Spray around flywheel and clutch, if it has a seal leak saw will stop like you turned it off. Keep away from carb inlet, also shuts it off.

To check if tank vent is plugged you can check by running saw on its side, open fuel cap, if stays running as normal you found it. Air leaks around crank seals and cylinder base can be check with carb cleaner. Spray around flywheel and clutch, if it has a seal leak saw will stop like you turned it off. Keep away from carb inlet, also shuts it off.
That would be a great method, if it would not be for the fact, that it does not start. :)

Pull the muffler and show us a picture of that piston, we all like pics. Sounds like you had and air leak, gone bad.

Latest posts

Back