My excuse for a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wooly

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Been waiting to cut into my big beech log until I picked up my 3'rd and final (for now) saw.
Brought the new MS250 home on Monday and put it to work on the eagle I've been anxious to start.
I've still got a bit of work I want to do to this one, but I'm pretty excited with how it's coming along so far.
DSC_0331.JPG
DSC_0335.JPG
DSC_0336.JPG
DSC_0342.JPG
DSC_0355.JPG
DSC_0362.JPG
DSC_0371.JPG
DSC_0390.JPG
DSC_0389_01.JPG

I finished up "side-B" and fine tuned some of the details.., then got him torched and oiled yesterday.
Next I'll get to work on attaching a tail and finishing up the base before I get this one sealed up and try to find a new home for him.
DSC_0025.JPG
DSC_0001.JPG
DSC_0018.JPG
DSC_0036.JPG
DSC_0039.JPG
DSC_0045.JPG
DSC_0052.JPG

That’s coming out really good! How do you keep it from drying out when your not carving on it?

It's been so cold and wet here I haven't had to worry about it on this one. Since most of the center of this log has been removed anyhow, it shouldn't really be a problem in the future either.
When I was carving throughout the summer I would have a few full log bears that got some checking and cracking while out in the sun but nothing too serious.
I just made sure to really let the oil get down in there and saturate them good before I did my finish coat.

I did have a lady just the other day tell me that her bear was cracking open right down his face even though he didn't have the slightest flaw while he was here.
She sent me some pictures, and I almost wish he would have opened up while he was here so I could have gave that area some extra attention with the oil.
I'll be shimming and re-carving that one this spring. I keep forgetting to tell these folks to keep them away from the heaters and wood stoves, so I feel kind of obligated to repair at no cost (except to me) on my own time.

So what’s the finish oil? And ya I think heat and wind will make wood check like crazy. Had a guy tell me cold windy weather drys the wood faster then hot windy weather. I thought the hot weather drys faster tho seems like

That's something else!

Been thinkin about trying my hand at carving. But then I see something like this and think maybe I should just cut some cedar rounds and turn some bowls.

So what’s the finish oil?
I've got 3 coats of boiled linseed oil on it and 2 coats of spar varnish so far. I'll add one more coat of varnish when I'm finishing the base.

After you get the tail attached, how about a fish in his talons?
It's a little late to have him holding a fish but incorporating a fish somehow has been part of the plan all along.
I started on that today, and should be pretty close to wrapping this thing up next time I work on it.

I was shooting for some ripply water rings around the base of te wing, and I have a bottom row of rocks tat I just noticed aren't showing well in these pics.DSC_0058.JPG
DSC_0082.JPG
DSC_0099.JPG

Latest posts

Back