My father needs a sawmill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, just stating facts. My father will do what he decides to do. He doesn't much take advice or suggestions from me. I wasn't asking for advice, because it would not be put to any use. I'm in no position to and my dad wouldn't take it from me.

I'm not sure how you got that impression, nk14zp. I mention that we will be inheriting whatever there might be, sawmill, logs. lumber or trees. I think I talked more about not feeling there is a heritage, rather than an inheritance. He will do with it what he wants and live as long as he can. i5 to 20 years is possible. My father is quite capable.

I'll be talking to him on his birthday later this week. If there is any further development in this area, I'll let you all know about it.

Knowing that he wouldn't do what I would do.....then I would reverse psych him. I'd send him the DVD to the brand new Norwood Sawmill with all the fixings package and say, "If I was getting a sawmill pops, I wouldn't get this one".....(insert evil laugh here)!

Seriously, Good luck. Since you only get one life on earth as far as evidence suggest, I'd encourage him to go down swinging, kicking, and cussing till he can't no more.

Okay, I talked to him last night. He says the trees are already down, he has been hauling the logs up to the buildings. The tops and branches will probably be piled and burned. He says the trunks were cut when diameter got down to about 10 inches, so lengths are variable. He says he got one pine that was about 50 feet long, ~30 inch butt diameter. Should be about 40 walnut and 45 to 50 pines. Pines running 24 to 28 inches, walnuts 15 to 18 inches. Hauling them up full length on an old hayrack running gear. Will cut to length when he finds out what a sawmill is capable of.

We talked about the logistics of cutting and handling that sort of volume of logs/lumber/off-cuts/sawdust. He doesn't have enough hayracks anymore to stack everything on as it comes off a mill. I don't know if there are that many hayracks left in the whole county anymore. Thinking that maybe two days a week for milling and the rest of the week for moving stuff where it needs to be. He also doesn't have a building to stack lumber in that isn't already in use.

There would be a lot of good firewood in the tops and branches that will just be piled and burned, but like he said, in two months, they will be wanting to plant in there.

And a little more information on the mill that my great-uncle used to have.

My dad says he thinks it was a Bellsaw with a 52 inch insert tooth blade and that it could take 18 foot logs, but Uncle Howard didn't like anything over 14 foot. He thinks the power unit was a International W-9 engine, maybe equivalent to a Farmall M. I thought it was equivalent to an H, but he probably knew more about it in the day than I did. And when it was sold at his estate auction, I think it was in the early 1980s, it was supposed to be going to Missouri.

Maybe you'll come across some old photos of your great-uncle and the sawmill. While it would be cool to have one of those old mills, I've worked around them enough that if my dad wanted one, I would have to put my foot down. Newer mills in general, and band mills in particular are much safer and easier to use. That's one change for the better.

Yes, Dave, a band mill would be much better, but it would be cool to find that someone on here can trace their mill back to someone else's memories, especially after all these years. I wouldn't try to get it back, but it would be cool to know where it is and what shape it is in. Like I said, Grandma used to tell him there were two things to avoid, and sawmills was one of them.

Right. Well, it so happens that I'm not only from Missouri, but my brother bought an old Bell sawmill years ago. Don't suppose you'd have any record of the serial #? I do understand the connection. The only thing I have from my grandfather is an old Pioneer chain saw. No way I'd sell it!

I certainly don't have the serial number, although it might be possible someone in the family might could be able to come up with it, but I think there wouldn't be much point pursuing that unless your brother thinks he might have bought it in Northwestern Illinois 30+ years ago. I would think that would be something memorable. (Unless he buys and sells sawmills all the time.)

Latest letter from him says he has fewer than half the logs moved, his space is getting full, and it gets cold on a tractor without a cab. Still hasn't done anything about getting a mill, whether buying one or finding someone to come in with one.

Update. He says he has all the logs moved up to the buildings and the field pretty much cleaned up for farming it. I don't know if they have gotten the stumps out yet to be able to run the pivot through there this year, or they may be able to work on that before irrigation is needed. He says he wants to have a place to store the lumber before starting on milling. No word as to what he is doing about getting a mill. He is looking at adding a lean-to onto a hay barn, but the first estimate , as he puts it, 1/4 the size of the barn for 3 1/2 times what the hay barn cost to put up originally. (probably 20 or so years ago) Lean-to would be about (I'm guessing) 14 or 16 feet wide x 60 feet long. One row of poles and a roof.

On another subject, he says he is supposed to be getting back by May 1, a tractor that he is having restored. It is a 1954 Farmall Super M that he bought new. If he actually gets it back by then, it will be in time for him to drive it in the annual local heritage days parade in town and then park it on the street with the old equipment display. Depending on weather. We did a lot of farming with that tractor. Even had axle mounted duals on it. I wonder if those were part of the restoration.

No, just stating facts. My father will do what he decides to do. He doesn't much take advice or suggestions from me. I wasn't asking for advice, because it would not be put to any use. I'm in no position to and my dad wouldn't take it from me.

I'm not sure how you got that impression, nk14zp. I mention that we will be inheriting whatever there might be, sawmill, logs. lumber or trees. I think I talked more about not feeling there is a heritage, rather than an inheritance. He will do with it what he wants and live as long as he can. i5 to 20 years is possible. My father is quite capable.

I'll be talking to him on his birthday later this week. If there is any further development in this area, I'll let you all know about it.

By all means get your Dad A sawmill, Never tell an old man that he is to old, even if he is.
At 80 yrs I wasnt a very good driver, but I have A very nice race car that I built sitting in front of my house, My 1951 f5 ford rat rod is almost finished is sitting beside it, and in a few days my little sawmill will be finished and will also look good sitting beside them, being hard headad and stubern can get you off the couch and in the shop.
If your Dad was up here I would help him build a mill.
Gene

By all means get your Dad A sawmill, Never tell an old man that he is to old, even if he is.
At 80 yrs I wasnt a very good driver, but I have A very nice race car that I built sitting in front of my house, My 1951 f5 ford rat rod is almost finished is sitting beside it, and in a few days my little sawmill will be finished and will also look good sitting beside them, being hard headad and stubern can get you off the couch and in the shop.
If your Dad was up here I would help him build a mill.
Gene
Are you still racing Gene? Red Farmer is 81 and still races every weekend. I started back racing last weekend at 66. Actually we didn't race much, just shook down the car while everyone else raced. Hope to be ready for them in 2 weeks. Did you ever watch the video of the win in the air that I sent you?

Larry

Are you still racing Gene? Red Farmer is 81 and still races every weekend. I started back racing last weekend at 66. Actually we didn't race much, just shook down the car while everyone else raced. Hope to be ready for them in 2 weeks. Did you ever watch the video of the win in the air that I sent you?

Larry

Hi Lary

Larry

Yes I watched it several times, showed it to my frends it got several wows and a few laughts, racers are a funny lot.
Larry I had to tow 150 miles one way my car was good but I just couldnt get in to 1 and 3 without getting sideways , then got intrested in building a rat rod, its almost finished then my grandson wanted to learn to build saw mills, the first one is almost finished, now I have the little mill in the shop, and my motorcycle getting it ready for trail rideing this summer it is also almost finished. As you can see my intrest just bounce all over the place.
I will send you some pictures when I send your video back.
Gene

Hi Lary

Yes I watched it several times, showed it to my frends it got several wows and a few laughts, racers are a funny lot.
Larry I had to tow 150 miles one way my car was good but I just couldnt get in to 1 and 3 without getting sideways , then got intrested in building a rat rod, its almost finished then my grandson wanted to learn to build saw mills, the first one is almost finished, now I have the little mill in the shop, and my motorcycle getting it ready for trail rideing this summer it is also almost finished. As you can see my intrest just bounce all over the place.
I will send you some pictures when I send your video back.
Gene

Hello Gene,
Good to hear from you. Sounds like you are going strong.

I don't want the video back. That is a copy of a tape. It is not very good because I don't have the original, so that is a copy of a copy of a copy. I have a camera that I am going to put in the car. I will post some on utube, in case you might be interested. I have to tow 180 miles. A lot of tracks are closed here.

I have jumped around a lot too. I have almost finished our house. Still have a few things to do. Started 4 years ago. I have a house boat started, a strip canoe, a dingy, modifications started for easier log handling on my saw mill and I help my 88 year old neighbor on his farm some. Then I worked a month on getting my car rebuilt as it was wrecked pretty bad and had set for 7 years.

Larry

(original poster) Talked to him Sunday. (Mothers' Day phone call) He asked me to see what I can find out on the internet (he doesn't do computers) about what band saw mills cost. I looked at Wood-Mizer's used equipment listings while I was on the phone with him, mostly seem to be LT40s, with different letters after them, ranging from about $11,000 to $25,000, with locations from Northern B.C., to Alabama, to New Hampshire, and points between and beyond. Some prices in Canadian $. I was looking on my local Craigslist when my internet went out. It does that a lot.

Any other good places to look? I used to know about a website, may have been Timbertrader, years ago. I don't think he is shopping yet, just wanting to know what to expect for prices.

Thanks to all here.

I'd be more concerned about a band saw that would suit him than getting the best deal on a bigger one. I believe you could get a new Norwood for under $6K. The manual mills are simpler than the hydraulic mills, and he could work with smaller logs. Plus, you know that it will be in good mechanical condition. Getting an old worn out machine will only lead to frustration for everyone. Resale is good if you decide to sell when he can no longer use it.

This is abbott295, original poster. I'm on my son's computer, his log-in.

Thanks for your reply, Dave. I don't know what he wants yet, besides prices. LT40 was about all I was seeing on Wood-Mizers used equipment listings. I will look at Norwood for him too. Manual mills are simpler, but he is 88. Smaller logs? What is a smaller log? from an earlier post: ." He says he got one pine that was about 50 feet long, ~30 inch butt diameter. Should be about 40 walnut and 45 to 50 pines. Pines running 24 to 28 inches, walnuts 15 to 18 inches." He says there are about 150 logs, and I believe they are still full length. Good point about resale value.

He hasn't gotten his Super M back yet from being restored. Last word was it still needed a wiring harness installed for the lights and hydraulic hoses for the three point hitch he is having put on. So it may not be a pure 'correct' restoration? 3 pt hitch was not original to the tractor and it was converted to 12 volts also. He says the duals were not part of the restoration. To put duals on, the inner wheels had been turned inside out; they are being put back to original configuration. But the duals were factory wheels also.

My dad is also 88, and recovering from a broken hip, and stubborn as all git out, so I can sympathize with your situation. Last week, he was digging post holes with his Ford 600. Fortunately, my brother & I live about a mile from him and can keep an eye on things. Best suggestion I can give is to have some one come to help him "get started", and possibly cut on shares so there is no cash going out. Sounds like you're doing the best you can under the circumstances. I'm sure he'll love having the M back.

Latest posts

Back