My firewood shed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
Posting some progress pics of my woodshed here.

It's 4 metres by 2 metres and 3.2 metres at the highest point.

All of the materials are recycled or reclaimed except the posts and stirrups.

It's the first construction type project I've ever done apart from repairs around the place.20210401_141101.jpg20210331_133138.jpg20210401_100920.jpg

Man, almost too nice to use as a firewood shed. Put some patio chairs and a BBQ grill out there :laugh: . What is the metal you used for the floor joists? Looks like metal studs, but that wouldn't be heavy enough for that.

They look like C Purlins to me, galvanised for longevity [emoji1305] Very tidy shed mate, well done [emoji1303]

Nice work mate! That'll certainly keep your wood drier than the ornamental plum tree. How much do you burn a year, Canberra can get pretty cold.
Thanks mate!
Don't know yet how much we'll burn. We moved in at the tail end of last year's Winter and have only just got the new heater in.

Man, almost too nice to use as a firewood shed. Put some patio chairs and a BBQ grill out there :laugh: . What is the metal you used for the floor joists? Looks like metal studs, but that wouldn't be heavy enough for that.
Yeah that's what the wife reckons. The kids claimed it as a stage too.

Managed a few spare minutes to finish the dividing baffle and one wall of slats. Seasoning wood will be in one bay and dry wood will be in the other. I should just have enough in each bay for a season.
View attachment 908922View attachment 908923

That's the way to go. Most Aussie wood will be good to go if you cut and split it a year in advance. The various box species take longer, I've noticed. What are the local species you have up there?

That's the way to go. Most Aussie wood will be good to go if you cut and split it a year in advance. The various box species take longer, I've noticed. What are the local species you have up there?
Hi Cowboy,
Most of what you see there is salvaged messmate and mountain ash from a mate's property. The RFS dozed about an acre of timber as a firebreak as the fires approached him in Nov 19. Should be well and truly seasoned by next year. We're racing to get it all cut up before the rot sets in.

I have intermittent access to yellow box, red ironbark and spotted gum all of which are excellent species. Apart from that I can get all the mesmmate, ribbon gum and mountain ash I can handle but they are less than optimal especially once the real cold weather hits. Cheers
Tom.

Back