My firewood shed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, you need the denser ones to get through the cold nights. During the day it doesn't matter so much.

I'm not great at building things. Destruction I can do well enough. I got one of my cricket mates (a builder) to build my woodshed. Requirements were that it had to hold 50 cubes and be strong enough to have wood loaded up against the sides for as long as required, and last 30 years. I forget what the cost was.

Woodshed.jpg

Yep, you need the denser ones to get through the cold nights. During the day it doesn't matter so much.

I'm not great at building things. Destruction I can do well enough. I got one of my cricket mates (a builder) to build my woodshed. Requirements were that it had to hold 50 cubes and be strong enough to have wood loaded up against the sides for as long as required, and last 30 years. I forget what the cost was.

View attachment 909394
That looks amazing mate. Where are you based?

It's a good shed, probably overkill but I read somewhere that you remember the quality longer than you remember the price. If I was competent enough to build a shed like yours I would have but...I'm someone that would spend the next 30 years looking at the inevitable imperfections kicking myself. This way I get to blame someone else.

I live about an hour south of Albury, near Falls Creek ski resort. We have some cold days but the nights are not as cold as some other areas.

Have you got that shed full yet?

Hi Cowboy,
Most of what you see there is salvaged messmate and mountain ash from a mate's property. The RFS dozed about an acre of timber as a firebreak as the fires approached him in Nov 19. Should be well and truly seasoned by next year. We're racing to get it all cut up before the rot sets in.

I have intermittent access to yellow box, red ironbark and spotted gum all of which are excellent species. Apart from that I can get all the mesmmate, ribbon gum and mountain ash I can handle but they are less than optimal especially once the real cold weather hits. Cheers
Tom.

Yellow box & red ironbark [emoji7] they burn nice & hot [emoji1305]

It's a good shed, probably overkill but I read somewhere that you remember the quality longer than you remember the price. If I was competent enough to build a shed like yours I would have but...I'm someone that would spend the next 30 years looking at the inevitable imperfections kicking myself. This way I get to blame someone else.

I live about an hour south of Albury, near Falls Creek ski resort. We have some cold days but the nights are not as cold as some other areas.

Have you got that shed full yet?
Mine is way less than perfect but I ain't a perfectionist!

So do you get regular snow where you are?

The clutch on my ute shat itself so I haven't been able to get wood. Should be fixed this weekend though.

Mine is way less than perfect but I ain't a perfectionist!

So do you get regular snow where you are?

The clutch on my ute shat itself so I haven't been able to get wood. Should be fixed this weekend though.

Well, when I said imperfections, I meant rank cock-ups!

I wouldn't say we get regular snow at our house, probably a couple of times a year but we can have days on end of 5° and overcast. On a clear night we might get down to -2° but rare to get lower than that.

I wouldn't say we get regular snow at our house, probably a couple of times a year but we can have days on end of 5° and overcast. On a clear night we might get down to -2° but rare to get lower than that
Not too bad. Canberra gets colder than that but the days are more often than not sunny and crisp.

Where do you get your wood? State Forests?

Not too bad. Canberra gets colder than that but the days are more often than not sunny and crisp.

Where do you get your wood? State Forests?

For sure, Canberra gets colder nights than we do, as do the flat areas like Wangaratta that can get to -7° on a clear night, but they won't get days that don't get above 5° like we do. I suppose it evens out.

I have access to a couple of farms locally that have peppermint, the white gums and blue gums in bulk. They have more trees fall over than they can cope with and it's either me coming out to remove them or they eventually give up, push them into a pile and set fire to them. Peppermint is my favourite for general burning, medium density and very low ash, and I burn bluegum overnight on the clear nights. I do have about 10 cubes of yellow box and grey box that I have had drying for more than 2 years now and it is close to ready. I'll save that for the nights for next winter and the couple after that.

Any more progress pics on the shed? Much as I do like my shed because it does what I want it to do, there has to be some special satisfaction in building your own and filling it with family-warming goodness. I reckon I would set up a chair in front of it in autumn and just sit there in the evenings with feet up and a beer, just admiring.

I wouldn't say we get regular snow at our house, probably a couple of times a year but we can have days on end of 5° and overcast. On a clear night we might get down to -2° but rare to get lower than that.
-2C ?
That's a real warm Winter night here in Ontario, Canada.
Last year we had a few weeks straight at -27C to -35C, with howling wind it gets dangerous to go outside.
Normal Winter temps here are around the -10C to -15C mark though.
I prefer about -5C (winter)

For sure, Canberra gets colder nights than we do, as do the flat areas like Wangaratta that can get to -7° on a clear night, but they won't get days that don't get above 5° like we do. I suppose it evens out.

I have access to a couple of farms locally that have peppermint, the white gums and blue gums in bulk. They have more trees fall over than they can cope with and it's either me coming out to remove them or they eventually give up, push them into a pile and set fire to them. Peppermint is my favourite for general burning, medium density and very low ash, and I burn bluegum overnight on the clear nights. I do have about 10 cubes of yellow box and grey box that I have had drying for more than 2 years now and it is close to ready. I'll save that for the nights for next winter and the couple after that.

Any more progress pics on the shed? Much as I do like my shed because it does what I want it to do, there has to be some special satisfaction in building your own and filling it with family-warming goodness. I reckon I would set up a chair in front of it in autumn and just sit there in the evenings with feet up and a beer, just admiring.
Yep. I love just looking at all that wood age.
There'll be more pics next week hopefully. Thanks for the kind words mate

-2C ?
Last year we had a few weeks straight at -27C to -35C, with howling wind it gets dangerous to go outside.
Yeah i'd prefer your cold winters over our summers.

-2C ?

Yes, it doesn't get cold here compared to some places for sure. Our houses historically weren't built for cold though, so when you buy one, you plug as many holes as you can find, insulate when you renovate and stuff lots of wood in the fire. The house Cowgirl was living in when I met her had gaps in it that were big enough to let a tiger snake get inside but her tabby cat had taken care of that before she got home. Houses going up now are built to a better standard.

Yikes.
I\ve read a lot about your T
Yes, it doesn't get cold here compared to some places for sure. Our houses historically weren't built for cold though, so when you buy one, you plug as many holes as you can find, insulate when you renovate and stuff lots of wood in the fire. The house Cowgirl was living in when I met her had gaps in it that were big enough to let a tiger snake get inside but her tabby cat had taken care of that before she got home. Houses going up now are built to a better standarYikesd.
Yikes.
I've read about your Tiger snakes, brown snakes and other deadly animals there.
We have only one deadly snake here called the Massasauga Rattlesnake, but it's rare to find one in the rocky, heavy forested Canadian Sheild country of Ontario.
Lots of older homes here too with little to no insulation but lots have been upgraded to high R values now.
It can cost a small fortune to renovate and redo an old home to get it up to new minimum building codes here.
I opted to buy a 17 year old house that was close to new codes over an 100 year old house.
I have R 86 attic insulation which is about 25" deep and R30 for our walls, plus a good Tyvek house wrap to keep us nice a toasty in our Canadian winters.

Yikes.
I\ve read a lot about your T

Yikes.
I've read about your Tiger snakes, brown snakes and other deadly animals there.
We have only one deadly snake here called the Massasauga Rattlesnake, but it's rare to find one in the rocky, heavy forested Canadian Sheild country of Ontario.
Lots of older homes here too with little to no insulation but lots have been upgraded to high R values now.
It can cost a small fortune to renovate and redo an old home to get it up to new minimum building codes here.
I opted to buy a 17 year old house that was close to new codes over an 100 year old house.
I have R 86 attic insulation which is about 25" deep and R30 for our walls, plus a good Tyvek house wrap to keep us nice a toasty in our Canadian winters.
good decision .
My next battle is stopping all the draughts and upgrading insulation.
Tom.

My house with new square log siding and the new carport/drive in shed.
Some firewood ready for stacks.
4 cords of Red Elm, Cherry, Maple, Hop Hornbeam (Ironwood), and Ash.

View attachment 914616
Wow, real nice. Pine? Maybe you said, but did you mill it yourself? Do you treat it with something now?

Back