My firewood tools

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And another sael, this time a County sale selling surplus equipment. They sell saws, tractors, snowplows, ambulances, trucks, etc every year. Finally replaced the 440 that I sold to a buddy a few years ago. Mow I just gotta find time to get back to the bush and actually use a saw. View attachment 254085
254085d1348508201-440magnum-jpg

cnice_37, any auctions nearby, I could drive down deliver it and go to another sale? The blower was a good deal, even though it looks beat up by stone the impeller and auger is in new shape, must have been lots of small stones. Snow blowers have been real cheap this year due to almost no snow last year and lots of good deals on new old stock. Helm Welding is 10 miles from me, Smyth Welding is 10 miles away and Horst is 40 miles away, lots of good well built snow equipment here. Better buy one quick before the cold weather hits.

Another auction sale. They had a Wallenstein 3 pth splitter there but it was pretty small, went for around $500 and was pretty well used. They sure hold their value. Ended up buying something sight unseen, seemed cheap to me so I bought it. looks pretty decent and will be handy after working in the bush. Guy just spent $275 putting a new heater on it, I paid $500. It's a 3 person model. View attachment 257249View attachment 257250
257249d1350237963-tub1-jpg

257250d1350237963-tub3-jpg

cnice_37, any auctions nearby, I could drive down deliver it and go to another sale? The blower was a good deal, even though it looks beat up by stone the impeller and auger is in new shape, must have been lots of small stones. Snow blowers have been real cheap this year due to almost no snow last year and lots of good deals on new old stock. Helm Welding is 10 miles from me, Smyth Welding is 10 miles away and Horst is 40 miles away, lots of good well built snow equipment here. Better buy one quick before the cold weather hits.

There are a couple auction houses but not really heavy equipment related. There is an annual one right down the road from me with actual farm equipment... Occurs in the spring!

I've got a plow on the F250... But I keep thinking of selling the truck and buying grapple loads instead of scrounging. What is holding me back is lack of a snowblower. I am too spoiled now so Even though I have a free walk behind lined up, I will still run the truck and plow until I can get one for the Kubota.

I've been way too busy the last couple of months to do much of anything, was working night shift and working 6 0r 7 shifts a week. Really was cutting into my auction time and my building time. But now I have good news, I am officially laid off work, I'm turning off my cell phone incase they call with another job (union carpenter) and I'm going to have some me and my tools time. I also did a big renovation on my sons house and will post a few pics of it when I get a chance. I have a huge list and best of all I have most of the stuff I need to build it. I was sneaky and bought stuff every week so wifey didn't notice much. She also has a huge list but I'll squeeze some of mine in as I go.
1st on the list is the hot tub (bought at a sale of course) building. It's going to be one of my normal " good lord man how much did that cost" build. 12'x 16' building, cottage roof, insulated floors, walls and ceiling, 2x4 studs with OSB painted interior walls, double door (auction) to get in with a 9'x7' insulated overhead garage door (sale at Home depot, had to buy 2, she made me replace the house one too) casement window (auction) on south side, painted plywood floor. Thinking a propane heater in it, the tub is electric but will get a loop if I ever build my OWB.
2nd job is to get some wood in the basement, I've barely started it and winter is upon us.
I still have to help her with her business because leaf season is hitting us right now but I should have time for my stuff on rainy days. View attachment 259741
259741d1351472373-woodpile1-jpg

Here some pics of the house work. I replaced a single door, removed a window and installed new double doors, removed and replaced 2 windows. Took out carpet and vinyl in livingroom and hallway and replaced with clik flooring. Removed carpet in bedroom and installed clik. Removed vinyl and carpeting in kitchen and diningroom, installed new underlay and vinyl flooring. Removed the kitchen cabinets and installed new cabinets and counter tops on opposite side of the room, this of course meant new wiring, new plumbing etc. Build an island for the kitchen and installed all new appliances. Installed new baseboard where we replaced flooring. And a million other small things. The women and my son did the painting, I refuse to do it. I still have the 2 bedrooms and the bathroom to redo but that is on the list for next year. View attachment 259744View attachment 259745View attachment 259746View attachment 259747
259744d1351473443-house1-jpg

259745d1351473443-house2-jpg

259746d1351473444-house3-jpg

259747d1351473444-house4-jpg

Last edited:
Good to see you again, been wonderin' where you been hiding !

Love the open Kitchen / Living room idea, looks great ! "Clik" flooring ?

I get majorly jealous every time I check up on this thread. I dream about having all this stuff, but each dream ends up with me in divorce court.... :blob5:

better to be happy and divorced than married and miserable HAHA
I ain't never guna look back

Hi Denis, the one room is clik ( laminate flooring that clicks together, pieces were 4"x 36" long) and the other is cusioned vinyl. The livingroom is 14x24 with clik and the other room is the kitchen, diningroom and it's 12x34' long and was 1 long piece of vinyl. The table and chairs are moved in now and the room doesn't lookng and narrow.
My holidays didn't last too long, my wife answered my cell this morning and now I have to go back to work tomorrow. It's only supposed to be for a few days so she said okay, guess that means her jobs get pushed back. Think I'll hide my cell phone next time. This getting back to sleeping nights is killing me though, gonna take awhile to adjust to normal again, was awake half the night.

Back on track with tools... ;)

Here's a shot of my wood-gettin' outfit

View attachment 259880

JD 4600 hydro w/ 460 loader
Jony 2150 w/ 18" bar
Fiskars X27 - very, very nice axe!
TopHat 16-foot car hauler
'09 Chevy SIlverado 1/2 ton

Jon, that green paint ain't gonna lift the logs in the background. You're going to have to paint it orange to move them. Or cut them into 16" long pieces. At least you have a chevy to haul it. I have the same size of car hauler but have never put my tractor on it, I have a heavier trailer for the tractor and it's still a load.

Jon, that green paint ain't gonna lift the logs in the background. You're going to have to paint it orange to move them. Or cut them into 16" long pieces. At least you have a chevy to haul it. I have the same size of car hauler but have never put my tractor on it, I have a heavier trailer for the tractor and it's still a load.

Bah; humbug!! I looked at orange tractors before I bought the green one. Of the various brands, in similar horsepower ranges, the Kubota was the lightest of them all. Power is of little use without enough weight to put it on the ground.

Kubotas were lightest, followed by Case IH, then JD.

I'm not a color snob, though. The 4600 was more tractor than I was shopping for but had ~850 hours on it, looked new and was about the same price as a 29-HP Kubota or Case. Had the cab & heater, too. It's big enough to do what I need, yet small enough that my wife is comfortable on it.

Trailer has 2 3500-pound axles and is licensed for 10k pounds; truck handles it well. I should block the rear when loading/unloading, as it kind of lifts the back of the truck a bit. Not off the ground, though.

The big logs in the background aren't mine to take, anyway. They belong to the tree-service owner, for saw logs. I think you'd need something big and (Caterpillar) yellow to move them around.

Jon

My buddy has a deere and we always take cheap shots at each other. They all work and they all break sooner or later. I just spent a small forture on mine doing hydraulic hose changes, fluid changes and some front end axle seal work. I had a Ford 1520 before I bought my L35 TLB and there are days I wish I still had the smaller tractor but I needed the backhoe so it had to go. I went by the sawnill that I used to get logs from and they have some really nice big ash logs in the firewood pile. It seems we have so much ash around here that saw logs are worth more as firewood. Oh yeah, if you block the rear of the trailer make sure you throw something under the middle of the ramps too, I bent a set on mine. Mine are 1\4" x 2x2 angle.

Like I tell my buddy, " there is nothing wrong with owning a Deere, as long as you have a buddy with a Bota"

Last edited:
This guy came walking up the trail, he was pretty tired out. I actually had my son put earmuffs and a stihl beside him but I screwed up the pic. He was friendly so likely had rabies, so if I quit posting you know what happened.
url]

PS, my hair really isn't that gray, it must have been the reflection of the sun.

Came in late and just read this entire thread, I enjoyed it. I'm glad you didn't get to cozy with the raccoon. If you see one around here in the daylight, it is most likely rabid. Ron

PS IME, it is better for your hair to turn gray than to turn loose. :)

18 pages, 4 beers, and hour later...I say damn I need more stuff! Thank you sir lol

should go through the "wood hauler" thread sometime. it took me a few hours every day for a week and a half to make it through that one:biggrin:

Back