My firewood tools

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are the slip on forks I made for my Ford 1520, sold it to my brother in law a few years ago. I used them for logs, brush and moving crap around at home before I got my Kubota. I also made 2 prong ones that were 4' long for skids and other stuff. They hook in behind the top lip of the bucket and a bolt in the middle holds them on. Nice and light to throw on and off. I used them alot and so does my brother in law. Made from 1/4" wall 2x2" square tube, 2 pieces of flat for the braces and a piece of flatbar for the bolting bracket. View attachment 268424View attachment 268425View attachment 268426View attachment 268427View attachment 268428

Last edited:
Here are some of my firewood tools. I have more but here is the main gang haha.

attachment.php

hmm, had a think about the "tools" I use...

Stihl 026
Stihl 210
Case International 4wd 695 with front power loader and bucket
12 foot "highlift" hydraulic tipper trailer - for tractor
Ifor Williams 12 foot road trailer with sides
Homebuilt hydraulic 3 point splitter for tractor - maybe 30 tonne?
Electric 5 tonne splitter at home
Wheelbarrow!

I have a great system where I get bundles of waste from the saw mill that are in plank form about 8' to 14' long. I bring about 2 1/2 ton a load home on the Ifor trailer. I pick the wood off the trailer with the tractor loader and a fork bucket, and hold them over the highlift trailer. I saw the planks so they drop straight in the trailer, then hook up to it, and it will tip all the logs straight back in the Ifor road trailer....no handling at all :)

The only manual bit I have to do is wheel the logs from the road to my woodshed, my house is in a built up area, and stack them.
The log splitters get used only if I have rounds off the farm. Happy days.....who said its hard work?

I just got a late Christmas gift from that last property owner were I've been cutting firewood at it's a Hookaroon curved head with a 36” handle :msp_w00t:

I didn't have the heart to tell him I already have one :msp_wink:

Been busy lately and haven't done much firewood wise. I've been working on converting a portion of my house into a shop (pics soon) it started out as an indoor pool then was changed to 6 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms and a diningroom. Now it's going to be a 24x 54' shop. Here is the stove I bought to heat it. I threw a small stove in it 1st but it barely did anything. The Fawcett makes it tee shirt time pretty quickly.

View attachment 276501View attachment 276502

My wife is fairly understanding on what I'm doing. This is the old diningroom that we use for storing toys. I've told her we are going to keep this room because we use it for family gatherings, we'll see. I have to build a platform from the house we use, across the new shop wall and over to these double doors. Yup, I'm planning on a ramp so my bike can still go in there, she can work around it.

View attachment 276530View attachment 276531

And in case you think I will have nothing to do when I get this shop done. I have another little project to do next. This building is 28'x 70'. I'm planning on part of it for firewood storage and the rest for auctions treasures. Basically the same job as the pool room only bigger, this one won't have a concrete floor though.
View attachment 276563View attachment 276564

nice toys cantoo...that was me 10yrs ago the rm and 650/750sx, looks like you have an old x2 as well, great job on the projects

autoimage, the dirt bikes are my son's, he used to race and just bought a few vintage bikes from Michigan. I drive a Honda VTX 1800 when I have time.

Ok, I got the thing home, now how do I unload it? I don't think my poor little kubota will lift it. It sure looks bigger now. Someone tried to lift it from the bottom with a forklift, guess they never noticed the hook on the top? They did it on both sides. Have to fix some sheetmetal too.
The guy threw in a stainless steel pipe for the top and 2 skids of insulated door panels.
We're in the middle of a winter storm, lots of roads closed and blowing snow, it was an interesting drive there and back. $ hr trip.
View attachment 276617View attachment 276618

Ok, I got the thing home, now how do I unload it? I don't think my poor little kubota will lift it. It sure looks bigger now. Someone tried to lift it from the bottom with a forklift, guess they never noticed the hook on the top? They did it on both sides. Have to fix some sheetmetal too.

View attachment 276617View attachment 276618

I've browsed this thread enough to know you'll build, buy or borrow something to get it off the trailer with. :msp_biggrin:

bentring, you need to talk to my wife, she wasn't near as sure of my abilities as we tried to unload it.

I got it off the trailer but it wasn't pretty. I tried to pick it up from the top with my forks, a hole in one fork and a clevis, I now have 1 fork that is 3/4" lower than the other and it would hardly even budge the thing.
Then I decided I could maybe pull it to the back of the trailer and lift half at a time. Lots of hooking and unhooking and some raised voices we managed to get it off the back of the trailer. Now it's sitting behind my barn awaiting summer so I can start working on it. Seeing it sitting here I can tell it's way too big for what I need, might be a Kijiji deal in the fall. I'm still thinking I might build my own. I just need to buy the steel when my wife isn't looking.
On a better note the government tax auditor spent another few hours here telling me I owe them alot more money. We thought we were getting closer to arrivng at a number then we found out they have accessed my son's and my daughter's bank accounts, my wife has joint accounts with them. So now we're back to square one again. It is unbelievable the information they have on us, every single check, every single deposit, everything. They even wanted us to explain government checks that we received. So much for trying to run a small business in Ontario. Good thing I never claimed any of my firewood purchases as expenses. We have 2 weeks to sort and explain approx 400 checks.

And in case you think I will have nothing to do when I get this shop done. I have another little project to do next. This building is 28'x 70'. I'm planning on part of it for firewood storage and the rest for auctions treasures. Basically the same job as the pool room only bigger, this one won't have a concrete floor though.
View attachment 276563View attachment 276564

I have a daughter who is a softball pitcher. Sure could use a room like that for the winter.

Latest posts

Back