ArboristSite.com Sponsors

My firewood tools

Discussion in 'Firewood, Heating and Wood Burning Equipment' started by cantoo, Nov 3, 2010.

1. cantoo

cantoo Addicted to ArboristSite

Moved the grapple to the back end of the tractor. Works really good and should save some jumping on and off the tractor. Also will work nice for those cold days I can just sit in the cab and pull logs to cut up later. Silver maple is about 26" and 7 feet long and wet as heck. Ash is about 12" and 12' long.
    IMG_20160412_162845.jpg IMG_20160412_163532.jpg IMG_20160412_164302.jpg IMG_20160412_164306.jpg

chipper1, Rudolf73, al-k and 2 others like this.
  2. dancan

dancan Spruce , The preferred wood of the Purgatory !

That looks to be a winner !!!!

chipper1 likes this.
  3. svk

svk A little bit of everything

Slick!

chipper1 likes this.
  4. coog

coog Addicted to ArboristSite

I wonder why there is no commercial equivalent. Great job.

chipper1 likes this.
  5. ChoppyChoppy

ChoppyChoppy Addicted to ArboristSite

My brother uses a Hotblast. He is on #2 in 3 years, first one cracked real bad. Works "meh", firebox is tiny.

6. ChoppyChoppy

ChoppyChoppy Addicted to ArboristSite

There is.

chipper1 likes this.
  7. cantoo

coog, quite a few companies make this type of grapple. They just want more money than I want to give to them is all. I wanted one that would work front or back with a quick change. It would also mount on my backhoe arms too. I plan to hook a 12 volt 2 way pump to it so it can be used on tractors without enough remotes. We have 2 bushes full of tops that we need to drag out, this will save time and possible broken ankles from jumping in and out of the tractor to hook up. I should be able to drag tree length poplar with it too, this will cut down on the amount of work required for the lower btu wood and make it worthwhile to get it. I robbed ideas from a bunch of companies to make mine. Next one will be better, if I ever build it.

chipper1, Ronaldo and svk like this.
  8. cantoo

Valleywood, Hotblast works but you get what you pay for with it. I hardly ever burnt really good hardwood in it, just asking for trouble with thin steel. Only put a few small pieces in and the rest would be lesser wood to keep temps down. Good heavy ash bed is also a good plan.

chipper1 likes this.
  9. cantoo

If anyone is planning on making one like this don't copy the 90* angle that I used on my beam and vertical part. I made the mistake of using 2 different tractors and didn't realize the 3 pth's were way different in measurement. I had to weld on another set of lower pins to make it fit the other tractor tractor otherwise it would go to high and bend the top link. I plan to do some cutting and reworking so it works better on both sizes of tractors and lifts a little higher. Distance from the bottom pins to the top link pins should have been a little wider. I think next time I would arch the pole to instead of a straight one. This would allow it to be shorter and still lift high enough. I made mine this long so I could reach over stumps or brush to hook onto the trees or tops. A hydraulic top link would be pretty handy too.

chipper1 likes this.
  10. Sandhill Crane

Sandhill Crane AS Member

That looks to be nice for cutting rounds. Bring a stick up to the splitter and fire up the saw. No binding or getting in the dirt.

dancan and chipper1 like this.
  11. chipper1

chipper1 Living Life to the Full

What's up Sandhill, staying busy.
    Was thinking about you the other day when I needed a bench for my half splits.
    Hope all is well over your way.

12. chipper1

chipper1 Living Life to the Full

That setup looks to do a great job cantoo.
    It seems we can always find something to modify of use with a different technique, that's why the learning on AS is so valuable:).
    Thanks for all the tips on this and my own projects :numberone:.

Ronaldo likes this.
  13. Sandhill Crane

Sandhill Crane AS Member

Chipper 1: My kids think I'm nuts! (for wanting the Posch PackFix) Other than that...all is pretty good, no complaints. I let my wooden bench go with the splitter. They were a pair, still are, less than a mile away. Replaced by the SuperSplit with built-in table and a log lift on the TW splitter. Lately, my 'go to' hand tool is a pulp hook for loading the splitter and grabbing pieces to resplit. Build yourself a bench, you'll love it. A pile of splits works as one also, sort of. Built mine out of 4" x 4"s, 2" x 8"s for skirt boards, 2" x 12"s for the top, some bolts and a few screws for the top. It's lasted eight, ten years maybe, and as I say, still going. This is how I did things, more or less still the same, but I want to get away from stacking this year and still provide seasoned wood.

Come visit anytime. Bring your gloves... there are four, twenty cord loads of 8' logs to do. You will love the height of the SuperSplit. I'll have fun watching you have fun running it. That's the Super part of a SuprSplit.

I've been side tracked and starting to process again. Summer deliveries have started as well.
    IMG_1561.jpg IMG_0064.jpg IMG_0089.jpg

zogger and dancan like this.