My firewood tools

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another pic.
attachment.php

I would be careful taking that tree down. My intuition says that it is rotten and hollow in the middle and could explode when you cut it.

I already cut part of one down that the logger left leaning. Only 3 to 4 " of solid wood around the outside edges. I expect most of the other ones are the same. I've cut a few big trees before and always take my time. No rush when you're playing with the big ones. I try to plan ahead for what might happen and watch real close to what the tree is doing as I cut. Not sure if it's the right thing to do or not but I usually cut my notch, stand back shut the saw of and relook at things, then start cutting again from the back, stop with a decent (1/4) bit of cutting left, shut the saw off, stand back and take another look see at what's going on. Survey my escape routes(rest abit to slow the heart) for a few minutes then start the saw up and slowly so slowly finish the cut. Has worked well for me in the past. Of course wedges when needed and sometimes even if not needed.

View attachment 1840703 rd pic
Scoop is from an old 3 pth ditch digger. The frame went into making a 3 pth lifting arm for skidding logs out of the bush. Haven't got any good pics of it yet. The scoop fits over the forks and sticks out far enough to see and to offer better leverage. The spruce tree was about 3" diameter and came out pretty easy. Also used the spade to dig the hole to bury the tree in. Worked good and of course was cheap.

Last edited:
cantoo, have you tryed to use your stone bucket to scoop firewood from a wood pile? when i use my bucket i get dirt mixed in the wood was thinking of getting a bucket like that so the dirt will fall out??

I have used the stone fork to load wood and it works fairly well other than it pushes the wood too far when trying to scoop. Round tine syle fork might work better. I have since taken the grapple off the regular dirt bucket and mounted it to the stone bucket. This allows me to open the jaws up and bite down for a bettter load. Then shake it to get rid of dirt and sawdust. I have more pics but just haven't loaded them up yet.

I have used the stone fork to load wood and it works fairly well other than it pushes the wood too far when trying to scoop. Round tine syle fork might work better. I have since taken the grapple off the regular dirt bucket and mounted it to the stone bucket. This allows me to open the jaws up and bite down for a bettter load. Then shake it to get rid of dirt and sawdust. I have more pics but just haven't loaded them up yet.

Ok, thanks i'll look for one of those

I bought this skid steer grapple and was considering mounting it on my L35 Kubota, not gonna happen, way too heavy. Might change it over to 3 pth though if I don't sell it. I got it from a sawmill that used it to load logs onto the mill. Would be good on a big hp tractor to make into a skidder. I paid around $800 for it so not much invested.
195961d1313950887-grapple-jpg

Last edited:
Back