My firewood tools

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's 1 of the little ones with a slash on it. View attachment 231526
231526d1333159284-slash1-jpg

I've been planning on the firewood wrapper for awhile now. Goodies from an auction a few months ago, $5 a roll. Cut one down to size with the recip saw already and it works decent enough. Also got 4 dozen safety glasses, gas jugs, handi wipes, hammer staplers, a ready to go business in teh back of the van. Also bought 2 rolls of plastic bags for car tires in case the shrink wrap don't work, I'll just throw the wood into the bags they say Michelin on them. My wife thinks I am nuts. She might have a point. View attachment 231529
231529d1333160038-shrinkwrap-jpg

Finally found another Steiner to use at the bush, around home and for our business. I screwed up and sold my last 2 and didn't find anymore so my wife bought one off a Dealer. Seeing as I buy everything and anything at auctions her going to a Dealer didn't make me happy but we've been without one for too long. I very seldom sell the attachments so we have everything we need for it. My brother in law has 4 of them, he's as bad as me. I've replaced the seat already and added a weigh bar for the back. View attachment 231518
231518d1333156843-anniversarysteiner-jpg

What kind of attachments do these Steiners use and how useful is it versus a small4x4 tractor ?

dancan, I have a thread on Lawnsite that shows some of my attachments. Guess we can't link from here, anyway it's on lawnsite and titled "If you don't have a steiner you won't understand"
Steiner don't really compare to any other tractor or lawnmower, they are pretty specialized in what they do, even though they can do lots of things they are really really good at certain things. We use ours for sweeping gravel from lawns and pavement, renovate lawns using spring tine attachments, pulling a lawn roller, moving trailers around and a few dozen other things. And we use them in the bush because they will go almost anywhere and pull anything. I bought a big winch today at a sale and will make up a mounting bracket for it to retreive lots from a ravine. View attachment 231641
231641d1333239388-winch-jpg

Last edited:
Well, I didn't get the Steiner at the sale today, it was way too tough for me but I would have liked the v blade on it. I ended up getting a Kubota front mount with a leaf blower on the front, it won't help me much in the bush but I'll make some money reselling it. I already have a blower for my Steiner. The boxes in the back are nut and bolt metal storage units now I have lots to fill. I hate searching for bolts and nuts. The chainsaws went pretty nuts considering age and wear on them, so no new saws either, not that I need anymore anyway but I would have liked the 660 with big bar on it. I only have one 660. View attachment 231642
231642d1333239881-kubotamower-jpg

Last edited:
Undoubtedly the Yellow & White thing that followed me home Friday will have some use with firewood (especially around the yard):

CubCadet_1_small.jpg

Cosmetically, calling it "rough" would be kind.

2 y/o motor, mower deck, snow plow, suitcase weights, chains, bagger for $350 and it drove itself onto the truck. Hydro transmission. Mechanically seems solid, but needs serious TLC.

Does need a new "self relieving" choke which is some kind of fancy spring loaded thingy on the carb. Not sure if it was broken when we loaded it (she was running really rough which the choke could explain) or if I broke it when trying to get it started in the back of the truck....ended up putting the hydro in neutral to unload.

Already have a trailer to attach to it, though I probably need tubes for those tires.

I just love finding red spots on the trees, it means the loggers missed them and they are mine. Going to be rotten at the bottom but will be good firewood. Red slashes mean they were to cut them down because there was a danger of them falling over. They missed a bunch of them too. These trees are over 4' across. There is a really nice cherry with red dots on it too. View attachment 231525
231525d1333158891-reddot-jpg

Looks like Steiner red on that tree! Was that you buying all that red spray paint?
Thought I saw a Steiner on the side of the road, may have been County 25 and Donnybrook Line, think it was over $3000.00!!!!!

Cantoo
I am not a fan of Warn winches but you got one of there good ones. The older winches were built much better than the new ones. I have one just like yours on my backup trailer and it took 20 years to wear the motor out. I bought a new replacement motor for it two years ago and have already replaced it once. Keep your leads clean and the resistance down. Try and keep that motor working because the replacement warn motors aint good.

On the topic of tools.... I ordered a tooth bar for my track loader today and we trried out a doser last week. The doser was priced right but there were some track issues that turned me off.

I need an 8 ton dozer in the worst way... Bunch of ash trees begging to be made into lumber for my cabin!!

We have 3 piles this size sitting on softwood bunks in the bush. My bil and I have enough at home already so we are stock pilling them so they don't rot. Easier to handle the long lengths than rounds too. Piles are about 5' high and 15' long x 10\ to 20\ logs. When it comes time to cut them up we might just cut them on the spot and use my splitter and conveyor into our dump trailers instead of hauling logs home. He's only a mile from the bush but I'm 15 miles away. View attachment 232562
232562d1333762897-logpile-jpg

Here a pile of limbs, we have 2 this size so far. Around 5' at highest point, 25' long with limbs from 5' to 15' long. I have a PTO driven buzzsaw to cut these up with. There is likely 20 full cords of limbs, downed small trees and standing dead still in the bush to be rounded up yet. I have built several trailers to use to gather and cut up this size stuff. Pictures of them are earlier in this thread. The piles sure look smaller in pictures, I have to get something in the pictures to show the size better next time. View attachment 232564
232564d1333763258-limbs-jpg

Damn man I want to come over and play!

Mind posting your method of cutting the swedish candles? I made one last year and took it tailgating with me. I couldn't get it lit so it became a regular piece of firewood at that point. Needed more kindling/ diesel soaked in the bottom I think.

cnice, when I'm cutting down into 4 or 6 slices I hold the bar as vertical as possible and make a cup in the bottom of the cut. This allows the diesel or bbq fluid a spot to pool. Also let it soak it a few minutes before lighting it. I sometimes stuff a kleenex or 2 into the slot at the bottom to keen some flame going. The wood has to be real dry to work good otherwise it takes alot of diesel or fluid. And if that don't work a propane torch helps. :)

Took a walk around the bush today with my bil, after looking at all the piles of logs we have already and the amount of standing dead stuff left to come down he says" we're gonna have to sell or get rid of some of this wood soon or we're gonna have to stop cutting". No way are we stopping cutting so I guess we're in the selling business. We dragged and piled about 3 cords of logs today.
I told him that the other day the wire for the throttle came off on my little Stihl 170, I told my wife it would probably cost more to fix it then to buy a new one, I use this saw for trimming all the time and my poor arms were sore from running my 260. She said to just go buy a new one and not fix it. I told my bil that I took it apart and the wire just fell off, it took 2 minutes to fix it and what do you think was the first thing out of him mouth. " you didn't tell your wife you fixed it right, you're going to get a new saw anyway? Damn straight I didn't tell her, I'm picking up another new one on tuesday.

Who's fooling who?
You ever wonder what she's up to while you're out running saws?

Just saying, is all.:yoyo:

Back