my first climb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boutselis

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have had some climbing gear (spurs and a belt) and my goal is to use it on palms because I think it would be safer than pruning from a latter.

So I am going to practice by climbing a pine on my property. I know some one is going to say "ask some one to teach you in person" and though that would probably be optimal it isn't practical so i am just going to climb.

so does any one have any advice other than don't do it or do I just buckle up to the tree, dig in the spikes and go up? Is down just the reverse of up?

Well if you're climbing a pine with those spurs you should be prepared to do a removal. Spur climbing will damage the tree so you should only be practicing on a tree that slated for removal. And what kind of belt are you using? You should be learning to rec climb with a climbing rope and a saddle. For rec climbing when you're done there should be no evidence that you were ever in the tree.

Well if you're climbing a pine with those spurs you should be prepared to do a removal. Spur climbing will damage the tree so you should only be practicing on a tree that slated for removal. And what kind of belt are you using? You should be learning to rec climb with a climbing rope and a saddle. For rec climbing when you're done there should be no evidence that you were ever in the tree.

Could you describe what you are talking about? Maybe my lingo is off. I wouldn't doubt it. I have a very thick belt around me and then there is another thick belt around the tree.

Yes the pine is going to be removed. Probably next winter. By the way. Say high to Speed for me.

Could you describe what you are talking about? Maybe my lingo is off. I wouldn't doubt it. I have a very thick belt around me and then there is another thick belt around the tree.

Yes the pine is going to be removed. Probably next winter. By the way. Say high to Speed for me.

How about posting some photo's of your setup?

Since you posted this in the Recreational Tree Climbing Forum I assumed that your interest was in rec climbing and not arbor related climbing. If it's all about rec climbing then you won't be needing spurs and you'll need a proper saddle.

How about posting some photo's of your setup?

Since you posted this in the Recreational Tree Climbing Forum I assumed that your interest was in rec climbing and not arbor related climbing. If it's all about rec climbing then you won't be needing spurs and you'll need a proper saddle.

Well this first one is recreational but I see what you mean now. you wouldn't normally use spurs on a rec climb. But I am because the tree will be coming down in the winter anyway. Maybe I should post this in a different forum. I posted it here because I was only going to climb a few times without cutting anything.

I'll post a picture of my gear tomorrow.

Well this first one is recreational but I see what you mean now. you wouldn't normally use spurs on a rec climb. But I am because the tree will be coming down in the winter anyway. Maybe I should post this in a different forum. I posted it here because I was only going to climb a few times without cutting anything.

I'll post a picture of my gear tomorrow.

Yeah, no one here wants to give you the wrong advice so try and explain what you're trying to accomplish, that will make it easier to steer you in the right direction. And some photo's of your gear will definitely help! :msp_biggrin:

I posted a picture of the spike, belt and lanyard I will be using on arborist 101 because I don't think this was the correct forum.

Back