MY FIRST SAW! WHAT WAS YOURS?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First saw was a Pioneer 600, 103cc saw. It was my dad's saw, but I grew up on that thing... I forget bar length, but it was likely 24". That was 48 years ago. I just remember no anti-vibration on it, heavy finicky saw. I asked my brother what became of it, but he doesn't know. He believes it was probably disposed of when mum sold our old property, after dad passed away.
I wish I still had it, just for the sentimental value.

First saw was a Pioneer 600, 103cc saw. It was my dad's saw, but I grew up on that thing... I forget bar length, but it was likely 24". That was 48 years ago. I just remember no anti-vibration on it, heavy finicky saw. I asked my brother what became of it, but he doesn't know. He believes it was probably disposed of when mum sold our old property, after dad passed away.
I wish I still had it, just for the sentimental value.
wonderful avatar name,,,care to expound???

D, this thread is about 7 years old, and I think I answered twice, so I'll see if I can remember my old answer. My Dad's Homelite Super 1050, 100CC's 36" bar. That was my first work saw. Since my Dad was in the business, I don't think I actually bought a saw till the late 80's and that was an Echo 305 I used for climbing. Still have both.

Yeeeaaars ago I got these new, First was 056 then 064 then 066. Still running good. Only part I had to replace was 056 ignition coil.
They are my pride and joy!

Attachments

• D7842204-0F2E-4AE9-93EC-423D9FF11E87.jpeg
    D7842204-0F2E-4AE9-93EC-423D9FF11E87.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 20
  • F426164C-ED04-435D-954B-6F88AFAFE0BF.jpeg
    F426164C-ED04-435D-954B-6F88AFAFE0BF.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 18
First saw I bought was a small McCulloch at a yard sale -$20. I’d like to say it was a great buy, but it was basically junk—adjustment screw stripped, clutch nearly smooth, carb likely toast. I think the guy saw me coming and sprayed some starting ether in it .

Wanted to go back and throw it through his screen door . Probably good thing I didn’t.

Next was a new Stihl Farm Boss. Climbed with it till I wised up ( heavy for the power output) and bought a 200 T. Sweet saw; have 2 of the old 200 Ts and 2 of the newer version. Older one has more power.

My first saw was an xl 12 my dad had for years it messed up when I was like 5 and sat in our basement for years ....he bought it new and cleared all of the land our house was to be built on and cut firewood for about ten years and thought it was just wore out so one day me and a friend from school was goofing around and he asked me about it and I told him about it and he asked if he could try and fix it dad just laughed and let him take it he brought it back a week later it had a cracked reed valve and he fixed It I used that saw till I was probably 25 and one week I was working in pa someone stole it out of my truck at home.....

Husqvarna 41. I was 11 and my dad had recently had hernia surgery and couldn’t cut wood that spring. He didn’t want me cutting as a noob with his non chain braked L65 so that’s why we got a new saw. We went down to the Husqvarna dealer in town (who also sold Husqvarna sewing machines) and bought me the 41. I used it for over 15 years before trading it away when I bought a 2165.

My first new saw. Dolmar PS540, right before the 5100S came out. At the time I agonized over the purchase. A lot of money for me then especially considering I rarely buy new equipment. Put lots of hours on this saw, a few bars lots of chains and nothing else. Worth every penny.8825A162-6740-4ABB-B301-741AB265815F.jpeg0050EFFF-DF2C-4799-98E6-E3DD6676D784.jpeg

my first saw was a silver David Bradley gear drive! ----now---well a mix of whatever I can get to run out of the 50 total. even have 1 MS 250, AND I do kinda like it now that I figured out what was wrong with it from the factory!---ya factory defective unit ----a friend got fed up with it and the dealer and tossed it in the junk bin, where I rescued it from! lol!

Stihl 026 that came with the property we bought from my wife's grandparents. 20200328_164824.jpg
It was a complete dog. It couldn't pull an 18" .325 bar in ash. That's what led me to AS. Turns out the spark arrestor was plugged. Then I couldn't leave it alone. I muffler modded it and set the squish to .017". Pulls that 16" 3/8 bar really well. Thanks for the CAD!
Lee

Back