My kickback experience...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdenT

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hiya all,
haven't been on here for a few years, but thought I might share my recent kickback experience as a possible learning experience for others.

Prior to this I have experienced minor kickbacks. The sort you can control simply by armstrength. The sort that lull you into beleiving you have been gifted with the strength and reaction speed to control any kickback. Boy was I wrong.

I was in an EWP at about 5 metres, removing some cypresses (12) lining a driveway. We only had 8 hours to do the job so I was going as fast as I could to maintain a tree per 40mins pace. Each tree should really have been done in an hour. In the basket I was using a 200t to remove branches and then a 460 to block down to about 2m (6') so the ground crew could fell and deal with the trunks.

I was on to my 5th tree when the accident happened and was fairly hot and breathless by this time. Plan was to finish this tree and then have smoko. I had one branch to go and it had two smaller branches coming off it quite close together, so it formed a letter 'K' shape. At that point my 200 ran out of petrol so rather than going down and filling it up I decided to use the 460 to knock of these last branches. I start it, move towards the lower leg of the 'K', when I suddenly hear this ripping sound, accompanied by a sickening pain in my right forearm. I look at my forearm which is wide open with all the muscles and tendons exposed. Somewhat dazed and wondering where my chainsaw has got to I look up to see it cartwheeling away about a metre in front and above me. I watch it plummet to the ground then grab my arm and start heading down myself. My crew wraps me up and off we go to hospital for a heap of drugs and sewing.

What actually happened was as the chainsaw touched the lower branch, it pulled forward bringing the kickback quadrant into contact with the upper leg of the 'K'. This accelerated it upwards where the kickback quadrant contacted the primary branch accelerating it still more. It is important to understand that the chainsaw rotates, not about your elbow as a minor kickback might lead you to think, but about it's own drive sprocket. Also a 460 at full revs with a double kickback rotates insanely fast. Far too quick for you to see, let alone react to. The force of the handle being yanked out of my hand caused muscle injuries in my kneck and shoulder that still give me trouble months later. The main problem is that the bar and chain is suddenly and violently where the handle used to be.

Fortunately, despite the multitude of bad decisions and errors I made, I did at least have a good offline cutting stance and that probably saved me from a potentially fatal injury. The other thing I had in my favour was a well maintained saw with an operative brake. The inertia brake kicked in so by the time the saw hit my arm it was more like an axe blow and so I got to keep my arm.

Anyhow I actually went back to work 3 days later so in the scheme of things I got off pretty lightly. It knocked my confidence a whole heap and things are still fairly sore as a result of the accident. I certainly learned a few lessons from the experience, hope you can too.

Stay Safe

Hiya all,
haven't been on here for a few years, but thought I might share my recent kickback experience as a possible learning experience for others.

Prior to this I have experienced minor kickbacks. The sort you can control simply by armstrength. The sort that lull you into beleiving you have been gifted with the strength and reaction speed to control any kickback. Boy was I wrong.

I was in an EWP at about 5 metres, removing some cypresses (12) lining a driveway. We only had 8 hours to do the job so I was going as fast as I could to maintain a tree per 40mins pace. Each tree should really have been done in an hour. In the basket I was using a 200t to remove branches and then a 460 to block down to about 2m (6') so the ground crew could fell and deal with the trunks.

I was on to my 5th tree when the accident happened and was fairly hot and breathless by this time. Plan was to finish this tree and then have smoko. I had one branch to go and it had two smaller branches coming off it quite close together, so it formed a letter 'K' shape. At that point my 200 ran out of petrol so rather than going down and filling it up I decided to use the 460 to knock of these last branches. I start it, move towards the lower leg of the 'K', when I suddenly hear this ripping sound, accompanied by a sickening pain in my right forearm. I look at my forearm which is wide open with all the muscles and tendons exposed. Somewhat dazed and wondering where my chainsaw has got to I look up to see it cartwheeling away about a metre in front and above me. I watch it plummet to the ground then grab my arm and start heading down myself. My crew wraps me up and off we go to hospital for a heap of drugs and sewing.

What actually happened was as the chainsaw touched the lower branch, it pulled forward bringing the kickback quadrant into contact with the upper leg of the 'K'. This accelerated it upwards where the kickback quadrant contacted the primary branch accelerating it still more. It is important to understand that the chainsaw rotates, not about your elbow as a minor kickback might lead you to think, but about it's own drive sprocket. Also a 460 at full revs with a double kickback rotates insanely fast. Far too quick for you to see, let alone react to. The force of the handle being yanked out of my hand caused muscle injuries in my kneck and shoulder that still give me trouble months later. The main problem is that the bar and chain is suddenly and violently where the handle used to be.

Fortunately, despite the multitude of bad decisions and errors I made, I did at least have a good offline cutting stance and that probably saved me from a potentially fatal injury. The other thing I had in my favour was a well maintained saw with an operative brake. The inertia brake kicked in so by the time the saw hit my arm it was more like an axe blow and so I got to keep my arm.

Anyhow I actually went back to work 3 days later so in the scheme of things I got off pretty lightly. It knocked my confidence a whole heap and things are still fairly sore as a result of the accident. I certainly learned a few lessons from the experience, hope you can too.

Stay Safe
Wow, do you think being tired and in a rush caused this? Heal well friend.

Hiya all,

Stay Safe

crikey fast an't it,,, i had a bar come into my head but the auto inertia brake saved me pretty face,,, :crazy: good the hear your ok and nice to see you back about edent the place is much the same apart from site look changes due to web hackers

Glad to hear you're relatively ok and will heal. It's like a pitcher taking a fast ball to the side of the head. It takes a lot of time to get over that mentally.
Every accident I ever had was the result of rushing. Not working within my own time comfort and pace. Allowing a boss to guilt, shame and pressure me into rushing or
having the mental frame of getting everything completed in the standard/rigid 8 hour day. Time is an @$$hole and it hates you. :)
I am no longer a slave to the clock and refuse to be. The only time I rush, is if there's fire or a dog chasing me. To me this is another reminder of my resolve.
I actually find I get more done if I don't cave in to pressure, worry and rushing.
Take YOUR time, not someone else's. Rushing is a dead man's game.

By the way, what happened to your 460?

I'm a beginner,and just overcoming my initial fear of saws, but I have begun to read about incidents like yours, to keep myself wary.
I have friends who have become a little overconfident with their chainsaws,and i dont want to fall into that trap.
thanks for posting this kind of thing.

Man Sh&$ happens in a hurry, I took one to the face about 11 years ago, cut half my nose off. I was notching a log and the piece I was cutting broke out causing a quick violent kickback. The saw was only 4 days old and the inertia break didn't activate, the ER doc told me he didn't know where to even start, but a plastic surgeon cut a patch out of my cheek and grafted it in. Luckily my nose had been broken enough times that the cartalige had grown with a curve, so he shaved a piece of that to shape my new nostril. I was back at work a week later. Ive got a pretty good scar, but I'm still as handsome as ever.

I'm a beginner,and just overcoming my initial fear of saws, but I have begun to read about incidents like yours, to keep myself wary.
I have friends who have become a little overconfident with their chainsaws,and i dont want to fall into that trap.
thanks for posting this kind of thing.
never become complacent. No matter how small of a saw or how comfortable you get with it. I'm a young guy but I've learned that the profession that I'm in is a very dangerous one. And these chains songs are absolute monsters.

I am now finished wondering if I made the right decision spending the 20 dollars to fix the chain break on my very usable Husqvarna 45 mid sized homeowners saw. Ive never had a hard kickback and have only gotten relatively dangerously stuck in a tree once 30 ft off the ground doing something I probably had little to no business doing on a mistletoe infested mesquite tree. I used a small top handled saw and locked the break before going up. It didn't feel to stupid since I was easily able to restart it without heading back down. A neighbor of mine dropped his brand new MS250 which was a replacement for his eager beaver he got sick of looking for parts for. I wonder what the store thought when they saw a saw that wasn't even done being broken in broken?

OK, so I have a technical question here - It's my understanding that the brake stops the chain as soon as the saw begins to rotate in a kickback, but it sounds like you got something of a cut as well as the 'axe blow.' Does it take a bit of time for the chain to stop, or does the brake just not work that quickly?

I've never had any kickback incident. I'd like to say that it's because I'm always careful, but that just wouldn't be true. :rolleyes: Still, I hope I manage to keep that record for many years to come.

OK, so I have a technical question here - It's my understanding that the brake stops the chain as soon as the saw begins to rotate in a kickback, but it sounds like you got something of a cut as well as the 'axe blow.' Does it take a bit of time for the chain to stop, or does the brake just not work that quickly?

I've never had any kickback incident. I'd like to say that it's because I'm always careful, but that just wouldn't be true. :rolleyes: Still, I hope I manage to keep that record for many years to come.

First of all let me start by thanking the OP for sharing his kickback accident with us. As he stated , I also have operated on the assumption that I was blessed with cat like reflexes and I could control any saw in a kickback situation even after my own experiences.

Uncle, The chainsaw brake engages only when the saw rotates up far enough for the brake handle to contact the operators wrist and to move it forward. So if the "danger zone" of the bar is contacted i.e.. (the top half of the bar nose) the saw wants to usually push back and up to the left, the chain brake stops the chain instantly but the kinetic energy of the spinning chain doesn't just stop, it then transfers to the brake/clutch causing the saw to actually move toward the user even faster pivoting in the hand that is gripping the top handle, that would cause the ax type blow that the OP described. I hope this helped. Be safe

My kickback happened so quickly that I don't know what happened. All I know for sure is the chain kept rotating and hooked my nostril and ripped and the right side was ripped off.

Latest posts

Back