ArboristSite.com Sponsors

My Latest Felling and Bucking Wedges

Discussion in 'Chainsaw' started by Wood Doctor, Jan 24, 2013.

1. saw dog

saw dog ArboristSite Operative

Very nice work, you might try Mullberry and Persimmin soaked in linseed oil, they seem to last longer.
    Safe cutting all

2. Homelite410

Homelite410 Hack with a CNC Mill

Those would make an excellent donation for a door prize or a race prize for the spring gtg!!

3. old-cat

old-cat Fir Man

I've had an oak wedge for a long time and I prefer it over the plastic ones cause it was FREE!

4. Wood Doctor

Wood Doctor Edwin

Final Product

I decided to paint a 3" wide light blue band around the middle of each wedge to help make it easier to find. These things have a habit of getting lost in the woods. I also found that only half of the thick round stock wire was needed for the ring that holds them together. You only need about 1-1/3 turns. So, here is the current collection that is in use today:

[​IMG]

Each ring will probably hold six wedges comfortably, but four apiece seemed enough for a trial run. During the next three months, my logger friend, Andy, says he will be bringing in about 2000 big logs or about 50 flatbed loads. He promises to give these a workout. So far this year the only time he pinched a 36" bar and bent it was when he tried to get by without using a bucking wedge or two. Afterwards he told me, "You just can't take shortcuts in this business."

5. Rockjock

Rockjock Addicted to ArboristSite

Simply beautiful my friend! I love the idea! There is nothing better then using a tool that just fits right! Bravo sir!

6. Wow

Wow ArboristSite Guru

IMG_20180206_151506_870.jpg IMG_20190127_185852_159.jpg
    Old thread BUT someone may be reading. So a Glut is normally a BIG wooden wedge. Much bigger than what I use for felling. I use a Glut for assistance when splitting firewood. Photos shows Three felling wedges and a Glut with mallet.

ray benson likes this.
  7. livemusic

livemusic ArboristSite Operative

Those look great, Wood Doctor.

8. Wow

Wow ArboristSite Guru

Thanks, I made the glut out of Persinamon. I painted the Glut and Mallet making it easy to see.
    The big Mallet is made of Elm. It's handle is Hickory (if I remember).
    I use the Mallet to drive my Glut and that keeps from damaging it. Notice the tops of the felling wedges. That shape helps to keep from driving damage. When I'm using my 22 ton Log Splitter on big stringy blocks and the block cracks partially open. This big ole Glut opens it up totally. I've made Gluts out of 4x4s and even Land scape timber. When splitting with a maul and Steel wedge the Glut really helps. Have a great day.