ArboristSite.com Sponsors

My list of "Best 1960's, 70's, 80's movies. Add yours...

Den

ArboristSite Guru
Here's my list of favorite 60's, 70's, and 80's movies, starting with the greatest movie in cinema history. The original "Vanishing Point" with Barry Newman and Cleavon Little.
I had (9) Dodge Challengers in my younger years. One Summer in high school I thought I was Barry Newman, a.k.a. Kowalski.
Barry Newman always will be the king of cool. I believe it was the New York Times that described his performance in Vanishing Point as "Angelic and other-worldly".

The rest of the list is in no particular order or rating.
Go ahead and add your favorites/comments.

1) Vanishing Point (1971).
2) Sometimes A Great Notion.
3) Dirty Mary Crazy Larry.
4) Fighting Mad.
5) Little Faus and Big Halsey.
6) Race With The Devil.
7) 92 In The Shade.
8) White Line Fever.
9) Assault On Precinct 13.
10) The Graduate.
11) Sweetie Pie and Flatbed Annie.
12) Escape From Alcatraz.
13) The Thomas Crown Affair.
14) Prime Cut.
15) Moonfire.
16) In Tandem.
17) High Ballin.
18) Convoy.
19) Deliverance.
20) Moving Violation.
21) Charley Varrick.
22) Cool Hand Luke.
23) Salesman (1969).
24) The Getaway.
25) Bullit.
26) The Seven Ups.
27) Cooley High.
28) Summer of 42'.
29) The French Connection.
30) American Graffiti.
31) More American Graffiti.
32) Three Days Of The Condor.
33) Electric Horseman.
34) Network.
35) Looking For Mr. Goodbar.
36) The Mechanic.
37) Jeremiah Johnson.
38) The Gauntlet.
39) On Any Sunday (1971).
40) Easy Rider.
41) Drag Racer.
42) Two Lane Black Top.
43) Burnout.
44) Duel.
45) Who'll Stop The Rain.
46) The Great Smokey Road Block.
47) Thunderbolt And Lightfoot.
48) The Deer Hunter.
49) Dog Day Afternoon.
50) Strawberry Statement.
51) Truck Stop Women.
52)Trucker's Woman.
53) Evel Knievel.
54) The Limey.
55) Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid.
56) Cisco Pike.
57) Midnight Cowboy.
58) Hickey and Boggs.
59) Taxi Driver.
60) Blowout.
61) White Lightning.
62) One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.
63) Mr. Majestyk.
64) Play Misty For Me.
65) Macon County Line.
66) Hijack !!!
67) LeMans.
68) The Hitcher.
69) Slapshot.
70) Gator.
71) Smokey And The Bandit (original).
72) Checkered Flag Or Crash.
73) Telefon.
74) The Andromeda Strain.
75) Banana's.
76) Moonshine County Express.
77) Fireball 500.
78) Willa.
79) I'm Gonna Get You Sucka.
80) Vigilante Force (1976).
81) The Drowning Pool.
82) The Mad Trapper.
83) All The Presidents Men.
84) Falling Down (1993).
85) Night Chase.
86) The Reincarnation Of Peter Proud.
87) Five Easy Pieces.

Reactions: WRW

WRW

Addicted to ArboristSite
What, no Godfather? Great movie and better book.
No Exorcist? Great movie, better book.
The Great Escape.
From Here to Eternity
Midway
The Sting...not a great book
Hombre. Read the book or see the movie...Elmore Leonard made sure they were the same.
It’s a Mad Mad Mad Mad World. If you like stunt driving, there it is.
The Big Country
The Shining. Good book, too.
Wild in the Streets. Goofy movie but good cautionary tale (like Idiocracy but not within your time frame).
A few from the OP.
There’s more...
Edit to add...how did I forget Thunder Road and I Walk the Line as I’m headed in to bed?
Edit again...Thunder Road was 1958.

edisto

edisto

Spelling/Reality Check
The topic is timely, because I have been trying to think of "must see" movies for my son and I to watch. He is old enough that gore and violence is OK, but young enough that sex and excessive innuendo have to stay off of the list. That's a bit tricky because he loves horror, and so the older movies are good, because there tends to be less of a focus on naked people.

We started in with some easy stuff, like Poltergeist, as a "break-in" to get to one of my favorite movies: "The Shining." We added "The Omen", and "The Thing" to that, and had watched "Alien" (and the rest of the series because he loved the first). One of the first movies we watched as a "horror" was "Jaws"...I don't know how many times I have seen that one. He's still too young for "The Exorcist" though...

There are some bad movies that we watched, that I still consider "must see", like "Escape From New York" and "Predator".

Having seen Kurt Russell twice, we added "Big Trouble in Little China" to the list.

He also likes science fiction, so we have done "2001: A Space Odyssey" and "Bladerunner". The last one that we watched was "The Fifth Element", but we watched "Die Hard" first, to introduce Bruce Willis, and so I could tell his mom that we were watching a Christmas movie. "The Road Warrior" is on the list for "maybe in a year or 2".

"Apocalypse Now" is a movie I'll gladly watch over and over, but still too old for him.

I'm hoping I can get him interested in some westerns, so that he can see 2 of my all-time favorites: "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" and "Once Upon a Time in the Old West".

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Addicted to ArboristSite
The topic is timely, because I have been trying to think of "must see" movies for my son and I to watch. He is old enough that gore and violence is OK, but young enough that sex and excessive innuendo have to stay off of the list. That's a bit tricky because he loves horror, and so the older movies are good, because there tends to be less of a focus on naked people.

We started in with some easy stuff, like Poltergeist, as a "break-in" to get to one of my favorite movies: "The Shining." We added "The Omen", and "The Thing" to that, and had watched "Alien" (and the rest of the series because he loved the first). One of the first movies we watched as a "horror" was "Jaws"...I don't know how many times I have seen that one. He's still too young for "The Exorcist" though...

There are some bad movies that we watched, that I still consider "must see", like "Escape From New York" and "Predator".

Having seen Kurt Russell twice, we added "Big Trouble in Little China" to the list.

He also likes science fiction, so we have done "2001: A Space Odyssey" and "Bladerunner". The last one that we watched was "The Fifth Element", but we watched "Die Hard" first, to introduce Bruce Willis, and so I could tell his mom that we were watching a Christmas movie. "The Road Warrior" is on the list for "maybe in a year or 2".

"Apocalypse Now" is a movie I'll gladly watch over and over, but still too old for him.

I'm hoping I can get him interested in some westerns, so that he can see 2 of my all-time favorites: "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" and "Once Upon a Time in the Old West".
Why, Eddie, the :numberone: top of your movie list has GOT to be this one

Surely, you're training up junior to be a fence post master, like yourself?
:drinkingcoffee:

Den

ArboristSite Guru
TnTreeHugger, funny that you put up that Michael Douglas picture. Many years ago, I worked at a car dealer and put that same picture above my tool box on the wall. The general manager walked over and ripped it down and gave me a dirty look !!!

Den

ArboristSite Guru
You are right... I forgot all of the westerns, in addition to The Great Escape, The Sting, Blade Runner, the Mad Max movies, the Dirty Harry movies. ( I'm a huge Andy Robinson fan).
Also a huge Richard Lynch fan (played "Moon" in The Seven Ups), and other memorable roles.

John Lyngdal

John Lyngdal

ArboristSite Guru
I thought this thread was BEST movies.

90% of the OP list is absolute junk.
By my personal choice, the list contains 2/3 inert material, but that's just my opinion.
Anyway you look at it, there are some both excellent and classic movies on the list

Dr. Strangelove belongs on the list.
Fail Safe is a maybe.

Manic84

Manic84

ArboristSite Guru
Breaking the rules a bit but: The Gunfighter, The Quiet Man and Stalag 17.

Alright, now I'm sticking to the rules!

The Sand Pebbles
A Patch Of Blue
Wait Until Dark
Cape Fear (1962)
For a Few Dollars More
Death Rides A Horse
Once Upon A Time In The West
My Name Is Nobody
The Golden Voyage Of Sinbad (A great display of Harryhausen's skill. The amount of detail in the "Kali" scenes still impress.)
Straw Dogs (1971)
The Evil Dead (1981)
Heavy Metal (Personal favorite. The soundtrack alone is great.)

And a few from the original list.