My long term Military Dodge Truck build up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The trim work always takes the majority time. lol! what did you use for the BC/CC?

I used a Devilbiss plus gun to shoot the paint. The paint was a major, well known brand. My supplier said he was going to contact the maker to see if they wanted to use this truck for promotional purposes. He never called back so I just assumed they didn't want me to spread the word on their stuff ;)

I used a Devilbiss plus gun to shoot the paint. The paint was a major, well known brand. My supplier said he was going to contact the maker to see if they wanted to use this truck for promotional purposes. He never called back so I just assumed they didn't want me to spread the word on their stuff ;)

Their loss!!! :cheers:

I am speechless. That is a work of art. I made it my desk top background. You should be on TV.

Thanks, long term projects are sometimes hard as you just want to get it done. I knew at the onset that this would be a slow thing and kept telling myself that. Got teased a lot about, "Got that truck done yet" was a common question for years but took solitude in the little victories. I've always like a variety of rigs but the detail stuff is what makes it for me. I said when I finally start one I'd go that route and do it how I wanted.

Something like this does tend to keep you out of trouble! I could never afford to have someone else do any of the work so that is why I just try to do it. Do something small and build on your knowledge/experience base. With the internet now you can find tips/how to's on most anything anymore. Kevin

IMG_0268.JPG

IMG_0288.JPG

IMG_0566.JPG

IMG_0720_1.JPG

nice truck always wanted to build one for myself . some day hopefully

nice truck always wanted to build one for myself . some day hopefully

I'd highly suggest you start now! I've known too many people who put it off too long and never get to do their dream. Their is all kinds of time you can come up with if you rearrange your priorities, TV is a big one that is honestly meaningless if the truth be told. Get out in the garage!

ScanImage003.jpg

IMG_0714.JPG

I like the boggers! :D :rock:

From the onset of this project I KNEW which tires I was going to put on it, Boggers. The size of them is what I wrestled with though. I'm glad now that I chose the size I did as I wouldn't want them any smaller or bigger. I love the rims as well, even if they are old school. To me it fits the truck.

The wheel/fender openings are what drew me to these trucks years ago. It's one of the only trucks that looks right, in my opinion, with larger tires.

IMG_0772.JPG

IMG_0705.JPG

I was looking at some of your pictures and comments at your image event link, all I can say is wow! Absolutely amazing! It never ceases to amaze me the talent of some of the folks on AS. Not to mention the Patience hard work and perseverance a project of that magnitude takes. Great job!

I was looking at some of your pictures and comments at your image event link, all I can say is wow! Absolutely amazing! It never ceases to amaze me the talent of some of the folks on AS. Not to mention the Patience hard work and perseverance a project of that magnitude takes. Great job!

Thanks for the comments. I think it's more of a mindset that sets the pace with this as far as what people on this board do. Woodcutters in general are a hands on type that generally try to be self sufficient, otherwise we'd be sitting at home like other's waiting for the oilman! I never cared for school as I'd rather watch and learn or just try it myself. Some of the most talented people I've met feel the same way.

I did fine gradewise in school, it just seemed like a waste of time. I've always said you don't have to have common sense or be smart to do well in school. It's all geared toward memorization.

I tend to look at stuff to see what works and add features I want. Case in point is the moveable, overhead lift below. Simple in design and does everything I've asked of it. I later saw a better system with I beams along the edges of the ceiling the length of the building. Guy had a loft along edge too for storage and could easily lift anything up there. I may do that if I can source some long I beams reasonably.

IMG_0165.JPG

The cab spinner was something that was just an "i need this" thing. Thought about a simple design that would be adjustable and could be used for other stuff as well. I tend to overbuild stuff I make, I blame the farming background for that ;)

IMG_0478.JPG

IMG_0143.JPG

IMG_0483.JPG

Amazing work.. Amazing truck..

Hopefully you will be around to show us your next truck build.. :blob2::msp_w00t:

I had to sell my 47 WC52 this past spring due to unforeseen issues (not with the truck).. BUT i was happy it went north to a museum..

Add a power plant and some charcoal to that Rotisserie....POOF pig cooker! :D

Nice welds BTW :rock: Course you know that :tongue2:

Amazing work.. Amazing truck..

Hopefully you will be around to show us your next truck build.. :blob2::msp_w00t:

I had to sell my 47 WC52 this past spring due to unforeseen issues (not with the truck).. BUT i was happy it went north to a museum..
That's too bad with having to sell. I thought they only made those in 1942? I pretty sure the M-37's didn't come out till 1953 but the WDX Power Wagons started in 1946.

The next ones won't take as long as they will be stockers.

Add a power plant and some charcoal to that Rotisserie....POOF pig cooker! :D

Nice welds BTW :rock: Course you know that :tongue2:

I may have to try the pig roast idea, hmmmmm ;)

I grew up stick welding everything and started to MIG after high school. When I worked on the farming operation got a lot of experience rebuilding stuff and could recognize weak points on stuff we bought. We had a cheap MIG on the farm and eventually burned it up from pushing the duty cycle. I bought a Miller 250X and what a world of difference. The close up above was done with that MIG.

I now have a Miller Syncrowave 250 TIG welder too. Still learning with that but the weld below was done with it.

IMG_0121.JPG

Bought it for the stainless projects I do and you can stick weld with it too. Never have done any aluminum yet though.

I've been gathering parts for a woodsplitter and have several ideas I want to incorporate with it. Over the years I've rebuilt Dad's 2 splitters when they have broke but I want to make one that will be easier on us. I'm either getting wiser or lazier, okay, I know which one ;)

I

Yeah the days of stick and gas weldin are becoming a lost art with the new mig/tig machines, I got a Lincoln 255 power mig years back, have'nt burned a stick in years now. I did'nt forget though, I was at a friends over the weekend and his mower exhaust broke off at the flange, he had a torch set but no brazing rod....the ole coat hanger trick worked like a charm still. lol!

That truck is sweet. I had originally replied to this thread and mentioned too bad about the chevy motor hope you know I am kidding hell I would like that thing if it had no motor. Very nice. I am some what of a dodge freak and really like the old iron, just this year I added another to my fleet a 1947 wh47 2ton. I will try to add photos to this.View attachment 204033View attachment 204034View attachment 204035View attachment 204036

Last edited:
That truck is sweet. I had originally replied to this thread and mentioned too bad about the chevy motor hope you know I am kidding hell I would like that thing if it had no motor. Very nice. I am some what of a dodge freak and really like the old iron, just this year I added another to my fleet a 1947 wh47 2ton. I will try to add photos to this.View attachment 204033View attachment 204034View attachment 204035View attachment 204036

Thanks for the kind words. To get your pics to show up in the thread do as follows. Go to your picture and right click on your mouse. Click on the copy pic url. Then paste that in your message and put
 before the i in img. If i do it exact here it won't show it as it'll think it's a pic. Took me a while to figure it out too. Love the old Dodges!

Back