My long term Military Dodge Truck build up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got it back from the interior shop yesterday. Hard to let your "baby" in the hands of someone else and waiting this long but I'm happy with the results. When trying to find someone I went to local cruise ins and shows to get some ideas. Everytime I saw a nicely done one it was from this shop so I made the decision. He's just a small family business but they've had 2 Riddler award winners.

Headliner, door panels, kick panels, console surround, seat base and seats are all done in leather. I had them perforate a hide with a diamond pattern for the seats center section. He used some of it in the door panels and middle, fold down armrest as well. He carried the rolled bead pattern from the doors into the kick panels and door panels too for a nice touch. The rear window surround is inset into the liner so that it lays flush as well.

The Seat I used originally was straight across the back and it covered most of the rear window. I told him I wanted them rounded, evenly and drew a pattern. When he was ready, I cut the frames lower and sectioned them to the rounded pattern. Took LOTS of pie cuts and welding as its a pretty wild S bent piece so that it won't cut the material and pull easily. It was like chopping a top on a car but I got it and he was REAL happy when he saw it. With the way he covered it it turned out great.

There are some in progress pics in my album if you want to see it coming together.

Albums By kevininohio - ImageEvent

IMG_1077.JPG

MVC-017S.JPG

MVC-021S.JPG

MVC-018S.JPG

MVC-020S.JPG

MVC-019S.JPG

MVC-016S.JPG

2nd to last pick bye key switch . What is knob on left and red light and arrow on right for?

I will admit I've spent about two hours looking at power wagons listed for sale in my area tonight

2nd to last pick bye key switch . What is knob on left and red light and arrow on right for?

I will admit I've spent about two hours looking at power wagons listed for sale in my area tonight

5 factory holes in the dash so I used them for other things. I didn't want a column mounted turn signal switch so I just used simple toggles. That is what the arrows are for, they are the manual turn signal switches. I just ground the arrows out of stainless. The holes closer to the key are Visibolts that blink when the signal is in use. Lets us "old guys" know the blinker is on! ;)

IMG_0794.JPG

I started this project 13 years ago and figure I have close to 3000 hours in it. It a 1941 Dodge WC40 1/2 ton military 4x4. They made 275 of this model and it's the grandpa of the Power Wagons. I made a lot of the parts and most everything was smoothed, painted and bolted back together with polished stainless fasteners. Little by little it finally came together and did most everything here at home, including the paint. Even made that grill which is 1/4 X 2 inch stainless stock and cold bent.

You can see the build up pics and how stuff was done at : Albums By kevininohio - ImageEvent

Some people play video games, I like to make stuff when I'm not sawing for the boiler. ;)

Beautiful truck!! Don't see many like that ne more!

That interior does look nice, not gaudy like so many people go for.

I especially like the way the upholstery is done.
I'm not much of an automotive aficionado
but Seems *almost* plausible to pass for some special options top end package.

Bet it cuts down on the cab noise too.

The new interior looks super nice. I sure would like to check the truck out in person someday. How does it ride/drive?

If you come through Ohio, give me a shout. It drives like a 1 ton truck but better than most I have had. 60 MPH is about as fast as I go with it though. Plenty of power and with the hydroboost and 4 wheel disc brakes it stops in a hurry if need be. Power steering is effortless which I'm real happy about too.

That interior does look nice, not gaudy like so many people go for.

I especially like the way the upholstery is done.
I'm not much of an automotive aficionado
but Seems *almost* plausible to pass for some special options top end package.

Bet it cuts down on the cab noise too.

Thanks for the Kind words.

That is what I wanted when we discussed the plan for the interior. Nothing flashy with weird colors, logos or flames, just something that "fit". It does indeed cut the noise down but I purposely put no radio in it because I like the tire and motor sound. Exhaust is throaty but not loud.

MVC-011S.JPG

It's funny when I go to a cruise in with it because some will say that is cool how you made the windshield tilt out and the louvers you put in the hood. half don't believe me when I tell them that is original.

IMG_0718.JPG

IMG_0720_1.JPG

ed: I forgot to mention that like how you re-worked the seatpans
and that quipfrom the upholstery man
says a lot to the kid who's Mom could go from pattern and couple yards of fabric
to rebuilding the crotch of a pair o pants that had been split (far more work than you imagine)
do commercial alterations and as a kid I watched her & Grandma recover all of the furniture in this house.
Talkin bout corded edges and rows of those hammerd looking dome head brass tacks.

Sorry for such along winded way of saying I see how that worked out as a result
of you labors and the looks of the seat shapes and lay of material
(no pulls, puckers... good seams) The Upholsterer must have liked it too.

I guess that if I had to pick, I'd go with that 30's or so look of body styles.
i.e. A generalized sort of narrowed hood and running boards
with the radiator vertical or slightly rakish back tilt.

i bought a pretty solid M-37 some number of moons ago (iirc, was april/53 vintage)
....health, etc didn't follow along.
so it sat for way too long and i finally realized it needed to go.

planned to build a nice old work-horse out of of it. Had even found a civilian ignition
and manifolds** so wouldn't have to cut or drill any of the originals.

Those flip out windows have gotta be my favorite detail of old vehicals
But I did want to work in some cabin heating

**(not sure if correct cyl head but heard it had compression modding ideas)

i guess i spend a bit too much time reading (vicarious-ness [?]) here and elsewhere now.

Last edited:
I got to meet Kevin and see his beautiful truck in person this weekend at a power wagon rally in Iowa. Man is that thing sweet, it took best in show and nicest civilian power wagon. That quite a feat as there were some sweet rides there. Good job kevin, I enjoyed meeting and chatting with you.

Been doing quite a few shows and a guy wanted to make a video. Actually another guy will release another one this Winter but here is a ride along for you. I think he found the roughest road along the River in Indiana. I was at a show that was about 2 hrs from home and he shot it while I was there.

lb8_1.jpg

watch

Had a guy who does videos locally ask if I'd like to do a 1 on 1 video. He's a true car guy and gets emails from homebound people on how much they appreciate them. They can't get out to shows but still want to see them in real life situation. He refuses to monetize his Youtube channel so he doesn't make anything off of them. He said a lot of Vets watch them too so I was all in. He did an amazing job with it and wanted to share it here. He wants more rides so if anyone close to the Dayton, Ohio, contact him through the links he has in the video. He doesn't ask for anything to do it and even gives you a personal DVD copy. He said he didn't care what it was, tractor, scooter, car, truck , what condition or state it's in as long as it's your pride and joy.

Back