My Meager Chainsaw Collection

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I drive by a yard sale I'm always on the lookout for yard tools, hunting or fishing gear, chainsaws, or computer gear, but it is always knick-knacks and used clothes.
There is no rhyme or reason to a yardsale. My dad and grandpa are pros and can walk into a knick knack yardsale and walk out with a gun for almost nothing, even if there weren't any for sale. But they personally ask if they have any for sale. I don't have the luck they do usually, but occasionally I do. Some of my good buys are things they bought and I bought from them. But then again, I might go weeks without buying anything.

Thanks, but I knew the model of that one. This is the one I don't know.
picture.php
I found a model number for this one....

Echo CS-330EVL

I have an addiction to hammers, saws, vises, blacksmithing tools, guns, ratchets, screwdrivers, and just about everything that goes in a garage.
Nice saw collection. I also have a collection of hammers, axes, and other tools with handles. Post some pics of that rack you have yours in, I may need to build something similar.

Nice saw collection. I also have a collection of hammers, axes, and other tools with handles. Post some pics of that rack you have yours in, I may need to build something similar.
It's a pretty simple rack made from scraps of wood I had lying around.
picture.php

And I added a few magnetic strips to the back to hold pry bars.
picture.php

Figured I would rehash this old thread and update it when I get new saws as a record for myself, and why not?

Husqvarna 445 I bought at a yardsale for $30.
The guy must've engaged the brake after he pulled the cover off and just forced it back on when he put it back together. It was locked up tight, but didnt cost anything to get it up and running. And she cuts great.
20191123_150927.jpg
An anniversary present from my amazing wife.
Echo CS-271T
20191123_151242.jpg
An 034av Super I picked up the other day for $50. Needed a fuel line and chain. It runs amazing.
20191123_151320.jpg
Ms461. My $150 gamble and new favorite saw.
Had a burned up piston, everything else was like new. Cleaned the cylinder with acid and put a meteor piston in it. I had this out the other day,and my dad couldnt put it down. Everytime I set it down, he picked it back up.
20191123_151351.jpg
And my first clone build. This MS660 is a blast, but I know it's not a real Stihl. It was too bar heavy to sit on the stool so I hired one of my many kids.
20191123_151540.jpg

Attachments

• 20191123_151242.jpg
    20191123_151242.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 8
Figured I would rehash this old thread and update it when I get new saws as a record for myself, and why not?

Husqvarna 445 I bought at a yardsale for $30.
The guy must've engaged the brake after he pulled the cover off and just forced it back on when he put it back together. It was locked up tight, but didnt cost anything to get it up and running. And she cuts great.
View attachment 775230
An anniversary present from my amazing wife.
Echo CS-271T
View attachment 775235
An 034av Super I picked up the other day for $50. Needed a fuel line and chain. It runs amazing.
View attachment 775232
Ms461. My $150 gamble and new favorite saw.
Had a burned up piston, everything else was like new. Cleaned the cylinder with acid and put a meteor piston in it. I had this out the other day,and my dad couldnt put it down. Everytime I set it down, he picked it back up.
View attachment 775233
And my first clone build. This MS660 is a blast, but I know it's not a real Stihl. It was too bar heavy to sit on the stool so I hired one of my many kids.
View attachment 775234

The 445 for $30, DEFINITELY Qualifies for the "You Suck" Thread;), Some Serious You Suckage going on there:), I gave my Wife a 445 for Christmas in 2017 (YES, She REALLY Wanted, Her OWN Saw:surprised3::):)) I was surprised at how well it did, it is a Nice little saw at a Great Price Point.

I Wish that I would have some yard sale finds like that

Doug :cheers:

Thanks guys. I have had some pretty good luck this year. Let's hope it continues.

A pro Husky still eludes me. There arent many dealers around, so that's probably the reason, or they are just so good nobody will let them go.

Wow that’s awesome! I really like that top handle stihl.

One of my favourites that I let go was the 455 rancher, I was mentioning it in the regret selling thread. I will one day get another.

I am slowly growing mine. At the moment the only other saws I have for restoration and tinkering are the super pro 60, a poulan 3400, two poulan 3314’s. the 3314 I experimented with in tuning and port matching etc. Good learner saws cause they really aren’t worth much used and are widely available.

Hey Brent, hows about posting a few pics of your SP 60???

That is the saw that I learned to cut with, many, Many, MANY years ago:rolleyes:

Growing up my Dad had an SP 60, Helluva saw for it's time:), He traded it off to a Friend, before I knew he wasn't going to keep it. The Friend passed away several years ago, and his Widow remarried, I keep Hoping to cross paths with her, but no one that knew them can come up with a current phone # for Bonnie.

I would Love to get THAT saw back, I keep Hopin that some day I can get in touch with Bonnie, and that old SP 60 is sittin in a forgotten corner of her garage, and is willing to part with it.

Fortunately, I still have my Dad, if not his saw, but his 80th Birthday was less than 2 months ago, He is still doing very well, but is the last of 4 Brothers, so I Hope that saw does find it's way home someday, so I will have some more memories after that SAD Day eventually comes

The 445 for $30, DEFINITELY Qualifies for the "You Suck" Thread;), Some Serious You Suckage going on there:), I gave my Wife a 445 for Christmas in 2017 (YES, She REALLY Wanted, Her OWN Saw:surprised3::):)) I was surprised at how well it did, it is a Nice little saw at a Great Price Point.

I Wish that I would have some yard sale finds like that

What's funny is, it was a community yardsale thatbhadnt even started yet. On Friday night, they open it for the people who live in the gated area. Well I know someone to let me in that night. I almost passed up the yardsale because he usually has really high priced antiques every year but saw the glow of orange.

I looked at it for a while because the sticker on it said "doesnt run $60".

I debated on it and asked the guy if he could do any better on the price. His response "what does it say on it, $60?" "How about $30?" And remember this was the first hour before the sale even started and he cut the price that much.

I couldnt pay him fast enough.

Sold.

What's funny is, it was a community yardsale thatbhadnt even started yet. On Friday night, they open it for the people who live in the gated area. Well I know someone to let me in that night. I almost passed up the yardsale because he usually has really high priced antiques every year but saw the glow of orange.

I looked at it for a while because the sticker on it said "doesnt run $60".

I debated on it and asked the guy if he could do any better on the price. His response "what does it say on it, $60?" "How about $30?" And remember this was the first hour before the sale even started and he cut the price that much.

I couldnt pay him fast enough.

Sold.

Yep, You qualify for your very own "I Suck" Thread";)

You definitely have had some Great Finds, I'm Sure the reason that Pro Huskies are so hard to find, is once someone gets one, they don't sell them;):):)

I've had my first Husky, my "Ol' Reliable" 266XP since about '91, Still a work horse saw, one I'll never part with, got the 23 Compact, a little Top Handle a bit later, still have it too.

Then I found AS, and nobody warned me about CAD:surprised3:, it was all down hill from there, little did I know, that would lead to CSMAD:eek:, Egads, some have mentioned bandsaw mills, but I don't have the room, at the house, or in the Budget for that.( But then, I Never suspected, or even heard of, CAD being a future issue;)) There is also the issue of Neighborhood Harmony, that a Band Mill, MIGHT Threaten:yes:

Yep, You qualify for your very own "I Suck" Thread";)

You definitely have had some Great Finds, I'm Sure the reason that Pro Huskies are so hard to find, is once someone gets one, they don't sell them;):):)

I've had my first Husky, my "Ol' Reliable" 266XP since about '91, Still a work horse saw, one I'll never part with, got the 23 Compact, a little Top Handle a bit later, still have it too.

Then I found AS, and nobody warned me about CAD:surprised3:, it was all down hill from there, little did I know, that would lead to CSMAD:eek:, Egads, some have mentioned bandsaw mills, but I don't have the room, at the house, or in the Budget for that.( But then, I Never suspected, or even heard of, CAD being a future issue;)) There is also the issue of Neighborhood Harmony, that a Band Mill, MIGHT Threaten:yes:

What is CSMAD and is there a way to prevent it? I already have so many other addictions!

What is CSMAD and is there a way to prevent it? I already have so many other addictions!

FF, you may be familiar with CAD (Chainsaw Addiction Disorder, AKA, Chainsaw Acquisition Disease, Your Choice of definition), Well CSMAD (Chain Saw Milling Addiction Disorder) is an Extension of CAD, it is Everything that CAD is, But MORE, On STEROIDS;)

With CSMAD, you Stihl get all the CAD idiosyncrasies, but add more choices in chain, Mills, Aux Oilers and So Much More, if you thought that CAD could Threaten a Solid Marriage, you ain't seen Nothin until you've risked that same solid marriage with CSMAD:surprised3::laughing:

Enter CSM'ing at your own risk, and consider yourself WARNED:D

FF, you may be familiar with CAD (Chainsaw Addiction Disorder, AKA, Chainsaw Acquisition Disease, Your Choice of definition), Well CSMAD (Chain Saw Milling Addiction Disorder) is an Extension of CAD, it is Everything that CAD is, But MORE, On STEROIDS;)

With CSMAD, you Stihl get all the CAD idiosyncrasies, but add more choices in chain, Mills, Aux Oilers and So Much More, if you thought that CAD could Threaten a Solid Marriage, you ain't seen Nothin until you've risked that same solid marriage with CSMAD:surprised3::laughing:

Enter CSM'ing at your own risk, and consider yourself WARNED:D

Well dang. I have been trying to talk my wife into a bandsaw mill for the past year.

We have a ton of trees to cut down and I hate them just going to waste in our burn pile. I would love to turn them into boards.

FF, Sorry, I forgot to answer your second question, The ONLY Sure Fire Guaranteed way known to avoid CSMAD is to NOT Expose yourself to it;), Some are more susceptible than others, and exposure to Chainsaws definitely increases the risk of CSMAD, That you are a member of a site like AS, shows a much Exaggerated Risk Factor for CSMAD.

There is No Known CURE for Either CAD, or CSMAD, all you can do is treat the Symptoms.

I saw my Doctor about CAD/CSMAD, and he said that he Understood, and mumbled something about GAD???, WTF is GAD??:confused: Seriously, other than Jack and Tiger, who could take GOLF Seriously??:laughing::laughing::laughing:

He said that all he could do was tell me to keep "Self Medicating" and that I would have to determine for myself, what the proper treatment would be, depending on the severity of my current symptoms:surprised3::)

Honey, I'm heading into to town to pick up my "Prescription", it's been a rough week, looks like I'm gonna need a 372XP, a couple loops of .404/.063/104DL chain and a new Scrench, you need me to pick up anything for you???:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Latest posts

Back