My new Husqvarna 55

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. O

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Howdy all, got my new saw on Saturday. The guy at the shop set me nicely, got the 55, .325x.50 w/ a 16" bar, two Stihl chains, one unknown(says Z2 or the chain), the other is a 23RS chains, bunch of oil, bar cover and bar oil. We checked the Tach on the way out, was running around 13,200rpm. I was surprised to see it spinning so fast out of the box, guess the smaller bar makes a difference. Did some cutting yesterday, cut up a bunch of hickory tops, mostly 10-13 inchers, got to play with one around 26-28 inches, the thing cut quite well. It looks this saw will cut perfectly for the cutting I plan to do. I was planning on getting Oregon chain, but the shop owner has no love for them, hence the Stihl chain. So for very well and very sharp after four tanks of gas. Anybody know what the Z2 chain is? I tried to find it on the Stihl site, and on the web, but no luck. Couldn't even find any info on the 23 RS chain.

Howdy,

If that Z2 is the stamp on the drivelink tang, that part of the chain that projects down into the guidebar groove, you may have trouble. That is most likely 72 and that would be 3/8 pitch Oregon chain and would be incorrect to use on your .325 pitch equipped chainsaw. You would need a different drive sprocket and guidebar to use this chain.

Please double check exactly what that stamp is. If it is indeed Z2 then it is some minor manufacture with a new and strange model with which I am not familiar.

Regards,
Walt Galer

Stihl chain

Hi Walt,
Thanks for the reply. They are both stamped Stihl, the mystery chain is stamped Z2 the 23RS is stamped Z4. I'll look closer at the chain when I get home tonight.

Howdy,

I have the Stihl 2001 catalog data table right in front of me, and on page 27 there is no mention of use of a letter 'Z' designator on the drivelink tang.

Their normal drivelink markings go:
1=.043 (1.1mm)
2=.050 (1.3mm)
5=.058 (1.5mm)
6=.063 (1.6mm)
This is the gauge, or designation of width of the drivelink tang (plus or minus .001) for purposes of mating up with the bar groove "called gauge".

Unfortunately, Stihl has no pitch designator marking on the sawchain. This causes numerous mismate conditions in the replacement aftermarket.
The guidebars normally are nicely marked as to gauge and pitch. Someone selling replacement sawchain for Stihl saws or even setting up a brand new saw, has to know to ask additional questions! This includes Stihl dealers.

Regards,
Walt Galer

Howdy,

I just woke up and realized, I bet you are looking at a datecode stamp on a sidelink (cutter or tiestrap).

Regards,
Walt Galer

I dont know about Stihl's .325 but they stamp the pitch on the side of 3/8 and .404 chain. Mr. O I use Oregon 34LG or 21LP on my 55 and both work very well. With a 16" bar you simply can not slow the chain down on that saw. 13200 rpm is a little high, the saw should be set richer during the break in period. Husqvarna recommends you take the saw back to the dealer after 5-10 tanks of gas to have the carburetor reset to the normal screw settings. It sounds like your dealer did not set your saw for the "break in"

thanks for the info

Huskyman, thanks for the info. I'd originally planned to get a 34LG, due to your earlier recomendation and checking it out on Oregons site. The shop I went to, just does not want to deal with the oregon chains, they do like their bars. Since he threw in the free chain I might as well use it. I asked him if the saw was a bit fast and he didn't seem concerned about it. I'll take it into another shop this week, and re-check everything befor I torch it. What should the saw run at during breakin, so I have an idea? Thanks

Last edited:
Max rpm should be 12500 at any time. During the break in the high speed screw is turned richer so the saw should be at about 11500 - 12000 range. I gave the Oregon numbers in case you decide to change. There are a number of places online to order it from. Good luck

WRW
Thx. I forgot that one. Most stamps on depthgauges have been the DG Setting, and I was just cruising along with that. If they put 3/8 on the depthgauge for standard 3/8, what do they put on Picco Micro?

Don't have any reasonably recent Stihl chain in hand at home.

One more question. Has Stihl ever given any recommendation to anyone as to how to set the depthgauge on their chain models with that "triple hump" guardlink? (Their current "lowkickback" ANSI B175 standard, model chains). I find that no matter how you attempt to file it, you destroy a file prematurely due to chatter as you are always filing the wrong way on either the link or the depthgauge itself. When I was sharpening a couple dozen or more chains at a time, I found these and Vanguard chains a real pain in the butt and they took a lot of extra time. Also it was difficult to find a guide/gauge to fit them properly. I wound up using a Windsor File mate on one, and then grinding the rest to match visually and inspecting with my depthgauge checking dial indicator, touching up as necessary. What a pain.

Regards,
Walt Galer

Ill check on the stihl chain tomarrow at work. I got some of everything your talking about(61pmn,63pm,26rm&rs,23rm,25rs,33rm&rs,46rs)

Here's some Picco Micro on macro, These chains are very good in clean wood only where raker reduction is seldom necessary. It seems that PN is stamped on the raker.
John

Howdy John,

That looks like it is the Picco Micro Narrow, the narrow kerf model with the folded over depthgauge and made on .043 thick stock instead of .050. This chain is for prunning saws, and not much else, and requires a special thin narrow gauge bar.

Picco Micro is the normal low profile extended pitch 3/8 consumer chain, equivlent to Oregon 91 series chain.

Regards,
Walt Galer

Back