My oldest cutting down his first tree...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn’t know that about steering. However that makes sense. Less holding wood means that it will naturally pull to the other side when it falls, yes?

I would like to see more information and perhaps a video demonstration of "steering" Based on my training and experience the tree is going to go where the notch and hinge tells it to. That is why it is soooo important to take your time and get this right. Now for trees with a lot of side lean I have seen techniques where the hinge is fatter on the side opposite the lean. This is to provide more wood fiber to keep the hinge from breaking early in the fall and loosing directional control of the tree.

Here is a good video of Tim Ard's Game Of Logging

This is more up to date than the MTDC class book. The first part is a bit slow talking about safety violations, etc. but it gets better! It also shows a good demonstration of high-angle open face notch with a bore cut which is my new "gold standard".

Usually when folks want to know how NOT to use a chainsaw I tell them to go to YouTube and type in "chainsaw" Here are a couple of examples for your viewing enjoyment!

P.S. You may want to be sitting down for these...

Back