My splitter build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Reaction score
Well... not really a build, more like some assembly required before use. Here's the 28gpm pump that I got off ebay for $329 and the 3 point hitch splitter I got from ericjeeper in trade for a BP rifle. It's a 4" cylinder and the control valve is open center, so I won't have to buy a new one.

The hoses are going to be 3/4 all around except for the suction line from tank to pump. That will be 1". Stopped by Napa today and talked to them about making them. The plan is to get it finished and then tow it to them. They'll make up what I need on the spot.

I went down to a local metal fab shop and ordered the tank/axle today. It's going to be 3/16 plate folded into a tube 12" tall x 6" wide x 48" long and will have one baffle inside to slow down the swirlies. They said it would be about a week. It'll hold about 15 gallons of fluid. I picked up 3 buckets of Supertech R&O hydraulic oil from Walmart yesterday.

Dustytools is scrounging up some 6" square tube drops to use for axle spacers. Another buddy of mine has a pair of bolt on torsion axle hubs he's contributing. Gotta appreciate friends... They sometimes make life cheaper. Sometimes they coerce you into driving across state lines to watch people run chainsaws. :clap:

I originally bought a return line filter from Tractor Supply, but in looking at it online that night, found that it was only rated at 20gpm. I returned it today and ordered the large 35gpm filter from Northern Tool. It's got 1.25" fittings :dizzy: Had the fab shop weld a 1.25" nipple into the tank and I'll screw the filter mount right to it like I've seen on other splitters. On the inside, there will be a 45 deg elbow to direct it down and away from the intake. I bought a 1.25 x .75 bushing to adapt the 3/4 return line to the other side of the filter housing.

I need to go look at a lawnmower graveyard this week after work and see about getting an engine. Will post more pics as the pieces come together.

So far, I have $485 in pump, fittings, filter housing and oil... the tank will be about $125 and so will the mower engine. It appears that I'm looking at about $735 + hoses out of pocket.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
It's an old Special Products Co. splitter.. better known as Speeco now. They tell me that it was made in '78 or '79.

Ian

Hey that thing looks familiar, 28 GPM with a 4" should have a awesome cycle time!

Lol

Hey that thing looks familiar, 28 GPM with a 4" should have a awesome cycle time!

I have never seen it before. I never even noticed all those quick couplings up by the valve...
But then again the one I had needed a bath in the worst of ways. Good luck and keep us posted with pics as it all comes together.

Nice work. Your first pic swallowed my monitor. Keep us updated. Oh ya you must not be bored enough to sort underware now that you have this to work on.:D

Not even washed yet.... LOL

I have to keep in mind that not everyone has a 24" wide screen monitor. It's not that big on mine...

Ian

Dont run out and buy a suction line just yet. I had to buy way more than I needed when I built my splitter. Ill have a look in the shop tomorrow night after work to see what I have leftover.

Thats gonna be one nice machine. I noticed something you may want to address. Regular pipe fittings are a no-no on the pressure lines. You've got a few 90's and a short nipple that should be replaced with proper hydraulic fittings. Yeah, I'm sure its been that way for years but for a few bucks (surpluscenter.com) you'll have a much safer setup. Keep up the good work!

Dont run out and buy a suction line just yet. I had to buy way more than I needed when I built my splitter. Ill have a look in the shop tomorrow night after work to see what I have leftover.

Thanks! Missed your post yesterday... I don't think I'll need more than 18", and probably more like 12. The pump is going to be pretty close to the tank bung.

Thats gonna be one nice machine. I noticed something you may want to address. Regular pipe fittings are a no-no on the pressure lines. You've got a few 90's and a short nipple that should be replaced with proper hydraulic fittings. Yeah, I'm sure its been that way for years but for a few bucks (surpluscenter.com) you'll have a much safer setup. Keep up the good work!

Yea, all that will be replaced when it's re-plumbed. The ports on the cylinder itself and the valve outputs are 1/2". I'm going to have 45° 3/4" elbows coming off them and 3/4" line to maximize flow. Since the ports themselves are 1/2" and the elbows aren't hard 90s, the restriction should be minimal if any, at least that's the plan. I know almost nothing about hydraulics other than what I've read here. The supply and return ports on the valve are 3/4 already so no adapters will be needed there.

Ian

Last edited:
Found a 19.5 hp Briggs I/C for $100. He needs to put a new gasket in the base of it and I'll pick it up next week if it runs good.

Ian

The tank is finished at the welding shop and they pressure tested it yesterday. I'll pick it up on Monday. I got the 35gpm filter in the mail today... Yeesh, it's a monster! --Ian

attachment.php

Here's the tank with the axles mounted... The shop got the fluid bungs reversed front to back so you see the square patch on the tank where he had to cut them off and remount them in the proper location.

Ian

attachment.php

Last edited:
throw a good coat of paint on it..

And bolt the beam to her..
Has he got the crankcase gasket in the engine yet?
Hurry man hurry..
Winter is just around the corner.....
oh and keep the pics a coming.

Back