My splitter build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Piss on the log lift. HW has a nice fast saw to quarter up those bigs in less time than it takes to srew with the lift.
BTW Ian I am a scrounger too . I just try to avoid anymore cuttin than I have to away from home.

No way man!! Gotta have a log lift! Work smarter, not harder! :greenchainsaw::)

Chainsaws are for bucking, not splitting, hahaha! :chainsaw: :cheers:

My idea is to make the table in kind of an L shape and move it forward on the splitter so that the edge of the table is forward of the knife. That way there's no table edge in the firing line. It's mostly going to be on the off side too, to keep the other half of any big round from hitting the ground on the first split. I can halve it, dice up the near side and then instead of walking around to get the other half, just reach over to the table and get it.

This stuff I'm splitting now is really easy so it ends up separated and dropping off quickly. It never made it to the table the way it was before. The real test will be when I get into some tough stringy wood that requires a full cycle to separate. I may wait till I get some of that to decide how to make the table. The down Hackberry tree that was going to be my tough wood test is now behind a planted tobacco field, so it has to wait till harvest is done.

How warm is the fluid getting with your high flow rate?

I haven't paid attention. I'll lay a hand on the tank when I split the rest of the pile this afternoon. If you notice in the pictures, I have the solid cap on the fill neck instead of the vented one I bought. The turbulence in the tank is such that it poured fluid out the vents in the cap on every retract cycle but strangely enough, not on the extend. This is with the fluid level 2" below the top of the tank. I might put a 6" nipple on it to raise the neck a bit and try the vented cap again.

Ian

Last edited:
No way man!! Gotta have a log lift! Work smarter, not harder!

Chainsaws are for bucking, not splitting, hahaha!
Been doing this for a long time and found out a couple of years ago I can quarter up large pieces with the saw faster than messing with vertical or log lift.
If you got say a 30" log. you lift it up on and split but because of the size it doesn't break all the way. So you roll it down off, man handle it around and back up on to get the other side broke. And it still needs 2 more or more to get it down to handling size and now it doesn't roll. By the time I do all that I could have had it sawed into nice sized pieces ready to split. No thank you, I will just saw it.

I'd like to have a 12" knife instead of the 8" that's on there just to reach further into the bigger rounds. Not going to happen though, those 12" knives are most of a C note at NT plus getting the shop to weld it on, I expect I'd need someone with a big 220 stick welder to do metal that thick.

Ian

Been doing this for a long time and found out a couple of years ago I can quarter up large pieces with the saw faster than messing with vertical or log lift.
If you got say a 30" log. you lift it up on and split but because of the size it doesn't break all the way. So you roll it down off, man handle it around and back up on to get the other side broke. And it still needs 2 more or more to get it down to handling size and now it doesn't roll. By the time I do all that I could have had it sawed into nice sized pieces ready to split. No thank you, I will just saw it.

If I had your saws or I didn't cut my wood in to 24" lengths, quartering would be much easier.

I haven't paid attention. I'll lay a hand on the tank when I split the rest of the pile this afternoon. If you notice in the pictures, I have the solid cap on the fill neck instead of the vented one I bought. The turbulence in the tank is such that it poured fluid out the vents in the cap on every retract cycle but strangely enough, not on the extend. This is with the fluid level 2" below the top of the tank. I might put a 6" nipple on it to raise the neck a bit and try the vented cap again.

Ian

Get a 3/4 x 2 bell and a 2" 12" long nipple with another bell and the vented cap on top of that, then you should be able to run with the tank full which would give you better cooling.

I'd like to have a 12" knife instead of the 8" that's on there just to reach further into the bigger rounds. Not going to happen though, those 12" knives are most of a C note at NT plus getting the shop to weld it on, I expect I'd need someone with a big 220 stick welder to do metal that thick.

Ian

The heat range on my 220V welder will go up plenty high enough to weld that if you choose to do so Ian.

Thanks Terry.. if I decide to do that, it would be a good reason to pay you a visit.

I've been pondering slip on 4-way splitters too.

Ian

Piss on the log lift. HW has a nice fast saw to quarter up those bigs in less time than it takes to srew with the lift.
BTW Ian I am a scrounger too . I just try to avoid anymore cuttin than I have to away from home.

Bring yer saws, and we'll race. Heck, I don't even have a log lift or a vertical splitter, but I don't have problems breaking em with 50+ tons and an 18" wedge...

Only time I'll noodle is if I'm splitting alone and not feeling like superman. It has it's place, but usually that place is not here.

Log lift

I do have that extra valve now... Hmmm.. 2" Cylinders aren't that pricey. LOL

and the upgrade list grows...

Ian

I don't lose traction, It just hasn't got enough kahunas. The hydrostatic tranny slips. It'll pull it around on level ground, just not up a hill.

Ian

I don't lose traction, It just hasn't got enough kahunas. The hydrostatic tranny slips. It'll pull it around on level ground, just not up a hill.

Ian

I had one of them once. Wouldn't pull its own weight when it got hot. Come to find out it had the wrong fluid in it. If my memory serves me right I had ATF in it and it needed 30 weight motor oil. Changed the oil a few times and it worked great.

Bring yer saws, and we'll race. Heck, I don't even have a log lift or a vertical splitter, but I don't have problems breaking em with 50+ tons and an 18" wedge...
Well now that is a horse of a different color. Never seen an 18" wedge but that would certainly make better work of bigger diameters. My back just can't take wrestling large wood anymore.

I had one of them once. Wouldn't pull its own weight when it got hot. Come to find out it had the wrong fluid in it. If my memory serves me right I had ATF in it and it needed 30 weight motor oil. Changed the oil a few times and it worked great.

This one has the original fluid from the factory in it. It's about 6 yrs old now and right at 100hrs. I asked once if it needed changing and I think they said it shouldn't need changing ever. I'll go look at the book again.

Ian

Edit: from deere site
The transmission is a sealed component. No maintenance is required on this transmission. If you suspect any transmission problems, please contact your John Deere dealer.

Last edited:
Back