My splitter build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I relented today and went the semi easy route. I bought 2 of the largest screw on mufflers the hardware store had. They measure 4" in diameter by 3" deep and are rated for up to 16hp single cylinder engines. They are essentially hollow cans, so I am uncrimping them with a torch and screwdriver (ala Lakeside53) and packing them with those stainless steel brillo pads. I got one almost done and ran out of acetylene. I bought 6" pipe nipples just guessing and what do ya know, they're too long. I need 3" nipples instead and one street 45 to angle the forward cylinder to the rear a little. --Ian

attachment.php

No pics but I'll tell you anyway. Years ago I got tired of my loud big single on One of my garden tractors. I went to the local auto parts stores and looked through their muffler catalogs to find the smallest auto muffler they could get. I found one that fit some older Honda. It is about 14" long and 6" diameter. I mounted it up using some pipe I had laying around from an old snowmobile. Did some bending and fabbed two mounts to hold it all in place.

It is the quietest air cooled engine I've ever heard and I've heard a bunch. I can hear the valves open and close on the bugger. In my case the effort was worth the result. Before I went to the car muffler I had a Stanley almost exactly like the one in the pic. Really not much quieter than the stock barker can.

I had a Stanley almost exactly like the one in the pic. Really not much quieter than the stock barker can.

Hopefully the packing in it will muffle it a bit. We shall see tomorrow IF the welding store is open. I kinda doubt it.

Ian

Would it be possible to just take your splitter over to the muffler shop and let them fab something up for you?

Especially if one of those lottery tickets turns out to be a good one!!!

OH... I've got one of those mufflers on an 8hp Kohler... it's fairly quiet in its stock form.

Last edited:
I called one place and they said the smallest pipe they deal with is 1.5". I expect most shops are set up for cars.

Of course, the local welding gas supplier is closed on Saturday. I have to drive to Lexington this morning to get a fill. I'm thinking about upgrading to the next size bottle. I always go almost 2 bottles of acetylene to one bottle of oxy. No cutting, just piddling around brazing. I have the tiny bottles, the size of a small fire extinguisher.

Ian

Got them packed and attached... Not satisfied. Still too loud. Gotta find someone to make the tractor muffler work.

Ian

attachment.php

Last edited:
If I ever build a stand alone unit it will be powered by a Farmall Cub C60 flathead. They are extremely quiet running engine even without a muffler. Put on a muffler and you would think its an electric motor. I just happen to have a stationary version of one...hmmmm whataya know?

Only about 10hp. 4cyl 60cu.in. However I bet it would hold its own against a modern twin around 16hp. They were originally rated at 1600rpm but mine has a special gov and it turn about 3000rpm. Very very smooth running engine. Only thing is they take up alot more room and probably weight about 2-3times more. Easy to hand crank start and cheap to maintain as parts are all available and easy to get. Power units usually go for 200-300.00 on Epay or Craig's List. Over the yrs I've owned 4 of them. Only one left in the garage and a spare motor for my 2 tractors. So all together I have 4 engines right now. They are plentiful as dandelions.

Last edited:
I'll bet it's a smooth bugger.. 4 cylinders and only 10hp. I'm assuming It's a horizontal shaft...

Now If it were only triple that HP... I was having visions of single stage pumps...

Ian

Haywood Im thinking that Sears tractor I worked on had a 2 into one muffler setup. I thought it was quiet enough for a tractor. Maybe a mower shop or neighbor around you would have a junker tractor that you could use/adapt.:confused:

It that about the same engine that is on a Super C?
The B,BN,C or Super C had I believe a 123cu.in. overhead valve engine. Just about all te IH engines of the day ran 1600 RPM at high idle. The Cub engine was used on a number of implements in stationary form with different gov flyweight weights. By using the lightest available at max setting I can get 3000rpm out of it. My Allis CA ran my current set up for bout 3 yrs and it is roughly 26hp. Very smooth and quiet engine also and did a great job on the single stage PTO pump. The gov would have to open the throttle on tough pieces occasionally unlike the Deere that can't tell its got a pump on it.
Basically any tractor engine under 150cu.in. would be a good candidate for such a project. Over 150cu.in. and the engines do get rather large in size.

Back