My splitter build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rattler05.5

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
It must be that time of year since there are so many splitter builds going on. I am gathering bits and pieces for the overall build.

I am going with a 20HP Kohler engine from a mower with a bad transmission. It has 154 hours on it. $250
IMG_7971.jpg

I will be buying a 28GPM 2 stage pump.

I will be using bits and pieces of this ugly splitter $100
IMG_7963.jpg

This belt drive off of a 11hp briggs just doesn't work and this maxed out at 900psi
IMG_7964.jpg

The cylinder has 40" of stroke and is maybe 5" bore. It sat for a long time with the cylinder out so it rusted. I'm going to try to use it. I'm sure it will leak under pressure but I hope to salvage it and be able to use it. Time will tell.

This is what I need to get to splitting! It's all pine, sure wish I had some of you easterner's hardwood but pine is what we got and it will burn.
IMG_7967.jpg

IMG_7968.jpg

IMG_7969.jpg

I also just finished this shed to put a years supply of wood in.
IMG_7962.jpg

It has a skylight! :msp_rolleyes:
It is 24' x 8' deep. My calculations show it would hold 10.5 cords if stacked floor to ceiling. I was planning to side the front also but I'm just not sure it will matter. Last year I had a shed that was open on the front and it didn't really bother with snow. It will be easy to side if I need to so I am going to wait and see how this winter goes.

splitter ram

you might be able to save it with a rub with wet and dry polishing paper, or a fine stone, dont play with the ram other than extending it a wee bit so you can clean it up
If it does not work you will have to replace the shaft , as it will just cut the nose seals to pieces

It must be that time of year since there are so many splitter builds going on. I am gathering bits and pieces for the overall build.

Interesting project. I'm curious as to how you will be mounting the pump to the engine. Good luck with restoring the cylinder. Depending on the amount of rust, you might be able to polish it up. Pics of your progress are always appreciated.

Interesting project. I'm curious as to how you will be mounting the pump to the engine. Good luck with restoring the cylinder. Depending on the amount of rust, you might be able to polish it up. Pics of your progress are always appreciated.

Anyone know why pumps, for the most part, say they can't be mounted vertically yet nearly all splitters have them mounted that way?

I'll check out the seat, but it is a scotts mower. I also have a husqvarna to compare it to so I will see if the mount is different.

you might be able to save it with a rub with wet and dry polishing paper, or a fine stone, dont play with the ram other than extending it a wee bit so you can clean it up
If it does not work you will have to replace the shaft , as it will just cut the nose seals to pieces

Though I didn't go that far with it I was able to extend it farther and polished it up with emery cloth. It smoothed out pretty nicely, and worked ok. I'm concerned about when I get some real pressure behind it to see what the seal will do. Right now there is a little bit of oil on the shaft. If it is garbage I will have to get another one. It isn't the perfect cylinder but it is cheap so I'll try it.

Is that mower a Husqvarna? Interested in shipping the seat? I'll cover expenses. :rock:

It is a Scotts seat and comparing it to my Husqvarna it is totally different. This seat has 4 holes to mount. One set of holes is 7 3/8" apart and the other set is 9 1/4" apart. I don't know who engineered that. It also has a small tear in the seat. Probably not worth your trouble to convert it.

Here is the seat bottom
securedownload-7.jpg

Last edited:
I got all my splitter parts, hoses act, from a site one of the guys on this site told me about called "Burden surplus sales" The tech's are very helpful with any questions and their prices are very good. Take a look at the splitter build thread as well for many helpful ideas on your build, and as always, pics, pics,pics......:msp_biggrin:

I got all my splitter parts, hoses act, from a site one of the guys on this site told me about called "Burden surplus sales" The tech's are very helpful with any questions and their prices are very good. Take a look at the splitter build thread as well for many helpful ideas on your build, and as always, pics, pics,pics......:msp_biggrin:

I have seen that site but didn't know they are out of Lincoln. Good prices too, thanks for the recommendation!

Anyone know why pumps, for the most part, say they can't be mounted vertically yet nearly all splitters have them mounted that way?

I don't know that operating the pump vertically is a problem. Obviously some manufacturers do it that way. Just haven't been able to locate that type of mount. On a direct drive pump, shaft alignment between pump and engine is pretty critical. I'm sure any decent machine shop could fab one.

Splitter build, wood shed, and massive pile of wood all in one thread... A newbie trying to score some rep?

Well done, except I think your roof is slanting the wrong way?

Rep inbound

I don't know that operating the pump vertically is a problem. Obviously some manufacturers do it that way. Just haven't been able to locate that type of mount. On a direct drive pump, shaft alignment between pump and engine is pretty critical. I'm sure any decent machine shop could fab one.

Will a normal lovejoy coupling not work? Like this with this pump to engine adapter.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/417C1mlD1QL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
http://www.splitez.com/i/IMG_0757_1.JPG
Hydraulic pump mounting bracket to small engines for log splitters
I guess I need to tear this thing apart and look at what is under the engine to mount to. I'll figure something out.

Splitter build, wood shed, and massive pile of wood all in one thread... A newbie trying to score some rep?

Well done, except I think your roof is slanting the wrong way?

Rep inbound

The roof is definitely sloping the wrong way. The real shed is on the other side, I cheated and added my firewood shed to the back side. :msp_wink:
I wish I had some wood and a massive pile of motivation or money instead of the inverse.
If we continue this drought we are in we won't get any rain or snow so it won't matter!

Thanks! I've learned a lot from reading here!

Last edited:
Will a normal lovejoy coupling not work? Like this with this pump to engine adapter.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/417C1mlD1QL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
http://www.splitez.com/i/IMG_0757_1.JPG
Hydraulic pump mounting bracket to small engines for log splitters
I guess I need to tear this thing apart and look at what is under the engine to mount to. I'll figure something out.

Yep, you need the lovejoy. I could be wrong, but I'm not sure the vertical engine has mounting holes for the pump adapter. The standard mount is something like 8" or 9" in diameter. You've got the right idea. Check to see what you have, and check with the vendors to see if they have a mount that will fit your engine. There are a lot of vertical shaft engines floating around. Someone must make mounts that fit them.

grab your stuff, and

hop in the pickup and run up to me, and I can create that mount if you need. (about 2 1/2 hours from loveland)

Most likely the engine was designed for the tractor, but if there are bolt holes I could create a "adapter" that would fit that pump. Get the lovejoy that matches the engine/pump. Make it big (L100?) for the power involved.

hop in the pickup and run up to me, and I can create that mount if you need. (about 2 1/2 hours from loveland)

Most likely the engine was designed for the tractor, but if there are bolt holes I could create a "adapter" that would fit that pump. Get the lovejoy that matches the engine/pump. Make it big (L100?) for the power involved.

It looks like I need an L110 since after the calculations I have 560 in-lbs; though I will make the adapter myself. I love a challenge and own a torch and welder.

Thanks for the offer though! Guessing, are you in the Evergreen area?

Last edited:
It looks like I need an L110 since after the calculations I have 560 in-lbs; though I will make the adapter myself. I love a challenge and own a torch and welder.

Pull up the specs on the Lovejoy site. As I recall, the running tolerance on those couplings is something like .01" maximum shaft misalignment and 1 degree angular misalignment. The inserts don't last very long if they exceed that.

Pull up the specs on the Lovejoy site. As I recall, the running tolerance on those couplings is something like .01" maximum shaft misalignment and 1 degree angular misalignment. The inserts don't last very long if they exceed that.

I was just there and it looks like you are correct. Is there more to this than I am seeing? What are you suggesting? If you can get them that close to perfectly lined up what is the point of having the coupling?

I'm not so naive to think that I can get it within a 100th of an inch but what will happen? They claim fail safe and will still function without any rubber elastomer. I'll look for an adapter after I figure out what I have to bolt to and see if anything is available.

Back