My splitter & saw table

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaikwa

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I hope this is the correct forum to put this in. Thought you all might be interested in what some of my stuff looks like. (I'm new here!)

I split my firewood in 48" lengths, then it goes to the saw table to cut into whatever length a customer wants. In the seasons when I'm just splitting to stock up, I stack it in 48' lengths to dry, then cut it to length when a customer calls for a delivery.

chaikwa.

climber1423 said:
Welcome to AS!!!
Thats a nice setup you have there. How do you like your jcb?
Hey, thanks for the welcome!

I LOVE that little JCB. I've been using it more as a skidder than a backhoe/loader. I made a chain plate, put it on the end of the backhoe stick and attach my choker chains to it. Makes it real handy for snaking logs out from around other trees I want to save. I've had it for about 3 years now with no problems.

chaikwa.

Patrick62 said:
4 foot splitter?? What a nice idea. I don't get quite that serious....
You could process wood quite well with that setup :D

-Pat
Thanks! Yeah, it works well for me, altho I realize it isn't everyone's cup of tea! A friend of mine back in New England has processed it that way for years, and I kinda used his idea when I set up my firewood business here in Michigan. I still need to get bigger valves for my set-up tho, as they restrict the hydraulic flow more than I'd like. But everything on the splitter was free, even the 50HP 4 cylinder motor, so I shouldn't complain!

chaikwa.

stihlatit said:
Welcome aboard. Excellent thought went into that saw set up. Thx for the idea.

Arnie
I have better pics of that table if anyone wants me to post it.

chaikwa.

Ok, here's a few more.

Since I took these pics, I added a couple uprights to the back of the table to keep the wood from falling off the back of it when I load it. I can put a bigger stack on it this way too. I dunno why I didn't think of it when I was building it in the first place! :bang: Brain fade I guess. I've also started using a bigger saw as that little one just wasn't cuttin' it, (literally!).

The chain you can see on the top of the 'mast' attaches to the little hook on the upper swing arm to hold the arms and saw up out of the way when not in use, and the little block that's hanging on the peg on the mast can be wedged under the upper swing arm to hold it in the down position.

I make most of my own stuff according to what I *think* I need at the time, mainly because I can't afford to buy it, but I like fooling around with stuff anyway. I made the grapples you can see on the loader bucket as well as the 4 foot splitter. Hopefully, my next project will be a full hydraulic bandmill to replace the chainsaw mill I'm currently using, which I also made. It works well and it's accurate, but it's S L O W !

Thanks for all the welcomes to this site. Seems like there's a great bunch of guys here!

chaikwa.

cord arrow said:
....you're refreshing.
the cigar smoke was gettin' pretty thick in here...............
Nope, no cigar smoke from me... pipe smoke maybe. And coffee. Those 2 things are at the top of my food pyramid!

chaikwa.

I wonder if you could set up the splitter to saw transition area so the four pieces from each log stay together. Then, instead of cutting a single piece of firewood at a time, you could cut four.

rmihalek said:
I wonder if you could set up the splitter to saw transition area so the four pieces from each log stay together. Then, instead of cutting a single piece of firewood at a time, you could cut four.
You just HAD to say that, didn't you? Now I'll have to start playin' with it all over again! :laugh:

Thanks for all the compliments. I really don't have all that much 'skill', just an over-active imagination and too much time on my hands! My next projecet will be a fully hydraulic bandsaw mill. Someday. :rolleyes:

chaikwa.

Latest posts

Back