My Tree split in half; what to do?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianensor

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have what we call around here a hackberry. Recently a storm came through and caused it to split and fall. It was rotten at the base where the tree grew in two different directions. I cut and removed the half that fell, what I want to know now is what to do to keep the remaining half healthy and give it the best shot possible to survive. See the pictures below. The one with the man and kid in it is the best one I could find of it from the same direction before the storm. It was from 2014.

Attachments

• IMG_2332.JPG
    IMG_2332.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG_3827.JPG
    IMG_3827.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_4373.JPG
    IMG_4373.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_4374.JPG
    IMG_4374.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 76
  • IMG_4375.JPG
    IMG_4375.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_4376.JPG
    IMG_4376.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_4205.JPG
    IMG_4205.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 69
Well let me ask this, right at the base where the old half was is a hole full of water. Should I fill that in with dirt up to the rest of the grade around the tree? Also, the old rot that is on the surviving part, should I scrape it off or leave it? Should I trim some of the limbs that are hanging opposite of the old half to relive some of the side pull on the surviving half?

Get that swing out of it right away! It is enticing kids to play in the danger zone.

There is nothing you can do to get rid of the rot. It will progress. It doesn't matter if you fill in the hole full of water or not. Yes, lightening up limbs to decrease loading could be done.

As long as it is standing, the tree is a threat to people and property.

No direct experience with hackberry.

As already said, remove swing and mover trampoline due to risk. I'd also drop the 2 major stems to the RH side of the photos as a minimum.

That said, others could advise on similarity of hackberry and silver maple kto see if the below comment may provide a reasonable example to not cut the whole tree down.
Back in 1950, (5 YO then)18" DBH silver maple in front of our house split down the middle, with the standing 1/2 having branches leaning over the house.
Pop tried to trim the fallen part and pull it back up and bolt together, too heavy for just 4 sheave 5/8 hemp block and tackle to lift.

Tarred* up the open split (18" by 12 ft high") and it lived until 2002 with no further damage. Curl over 8" dia each side over open wound by the time it all died.

* as advised by mid 20th century 'arborists'

I'd remove that tree right away, plant about 6 or so replacements with the intent of thinning them out every 5 to10 years until you have a sturdy tree or more to be more permanent. A couple the trees would be larger to start with fast growing like silver maple to get quick shade back. They can be taken down before they are to big to be a problem , by then the slower growing trees should be big enough for shade. I like silver maples until they are about 30 to 40 years old but they can be taken down sooner. A grove of maples makes so.e cool shade.

Back