My Vertical Log Splitter with Table and Log Lift

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 2 foot deep by 5 1/2 foot wide table. It allows stacking splits on the side until I get a arm full.
If I'm splitting away from home the splits are tossed on my flatbed trailer. If I'm at home they get tossed where they're stacked or my kids take the wood and stack it.

Yes. My kids help out quite a bit when they can. I'm sure it won't be long and I will be doing what you do.

You're lucky to have help usually I'm working alone and pushing 70 picking splits off the ground gets tiring fast.
Operate horizontal. Put a chair next to the end of the splitter. Drop temporary large splits that need another pass onto a strong chair with a back and no arms. Throw the final splits into a wheelbarrow. If the first round log is too heavy to lift, save that for vertical operation or noodle cut it in half. That's my procedure. It seems to work for me -- yet another lone wolf splitter operator.

Operate horizontal. Put a chair next to the end of the splitter. Drop temporary large splits that need another pass onto a strong chair with a back and no arms. Throw the final splits into a wheelbarrow. If the first round log is too heavy to lift, save that for vertical operation or noodle cut it in half. That's my procedure. It seems to work for me -- yet another lone wolf splitter operator.
He has a vertical splitter with table similar to what I just built.

I finished the log splitter this weekend. Every thing works great. I'm still looking to add a tool box to it though to keep chains, oil, bars, and maybe a saw or 2 in it..

Attachments

• IMAG1184.jpg
    IMAG1184.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 239
  • IMAG1185.jpg
    IMAG1185.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 254
  • IMAG1187.jpg
    IMAG1187.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 258
  • IMAG1188.jpg
    IMAG1188.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 263
  • IMAG1186(1).jpg
    IMAG1186(1).jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 254
  • IMAG1191.jpg
    IMAG1191.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 212
I am really surprised that no american manufacture makes something similar to these vertical table splitters. Then again the old farmers around here thought I was certifiably insane when trying to convey what I was going to build. Some that have seen it recently have stated "well that might work?" Imagination of American wood splitter manufactures seems more limited compared to the Europeans and Australians.

I am really surprised that no american manufacture makes something similar to these vertical table splitters. Then again the old farmers around here thought I was certifiably insane when trying to convey what I was going to build. Some that have seen it recently have stated "well that might work?" Imagination of American wood splitter manufactures seems more limited compared to the Europeans and Australians.
Yeah. I don't know why someone here in the States don't build these. Like you, I have a hard time explaining how it all works to people at work, etc. Even after I draw them a picture or show them pictures. The very first thing they say is! " can you lay it horizontal and split the wood?" LOL.

I'm with you. I do not understand the big boy splitter design that when operated and loaded by one person, you have to walk around the machine to load the lift, and back again to operate it. I've never been around one, or run one. Just looking at the youtube videos. Add a pile of splits, or a conveyor, at the out feed end means walking around the tongue end each time, AND BACK. I'd like to run one to get a first hand feel for it. I'd like to try Iowa's also to compare.

I'm with you. I do not understand the big boy splitter design that when operated and loaded by one person, you have to walk around the machine to load the lift, and back again to operate it. I've never been around one, or run one. Just looking at the youtube videos. Add a pile of splits, or a conveyor, at the out feed end means walking around the tongue end each time, AND BACK. I'd like to run one to get a first hand feel for it. I'd like to try Iowa's also to compare.
you should run one, you can load up the lift with smaller rounds and keep busy for 5-10 minutes, or one or two larger rounds and work those up, or a giant one and roll it into place instead of trying to slide it across the table to get it under the wedge. yeah walking around the machine isn't ideal but it only takes all of 3 seconds to walk around it... heres mine with small rounds on it, and it will lift anything until it tips itself over, (it weighs around #3200) have had 50" wet red oak it has lifted no problem, guess its more personal preference...
100_1802.JPG

I've had horizontal with lift before. Unless you have a helper , walking around machine gets really old. That's why I made what I did. Buck logs next to splitter, roll, split, stack. Done

Back