My Vertical Log Splitter with Table and Log Lift

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Horizontal's make my back hurt from bending over...

JT

in the video of "Iowa's" splitter he is more bent/leaning over always reaching for the spool or reaching for the wood, than I ever am working with my splitter...I just bring my lift up and have the round roll to me, no reaching, and my split spool is right at my side at about waist level so no reaching for that either.
also if either of your splitters were lower you would have to bend to use them, but you guys built them at a height you're comfortable with, the same would go for ANY type of splitter, saying that having a horizontal splitter is the reason your back hurts is just dumb!

I built a horizontal that was correct height for me. Was still bent over. Having to reach across beam to log lift. That's not me in video either. I'm probably 5" taller.

But you're right. Not every splitter will work for everyone. That's why I built custom for myself. Several at the Gtg said the valve handles maybe too tall for them to be comfortable. They're perfect for me. And Hedgerow!

I built a horizontal that was correct height for me. Was still bent over. Having to reach across beam to log lift. That's not me in video either. I'm probably 5" taller.

But you're right. Not every splitter will work for everyone. That's why I built custom for myself. Several at the Gtg said the valve handles maybe too tall for them to be comfortable. They're perfect for me. And Hedgerow!
sounds like a design flaw...lift didn't lift enough... my log lift rolls the rounds right to me or right onto the beam
cant tell on your new splitter, but does this log lift, lift past table level so it will roll the logs. or are you now walking instead of bending to get the rounds off the lift?

Lift
sounds like a design flaw...lift didn't lift enough... my log lift rolls the rounds right to me or right onto the beam
cant tell on your new splitter, but does this log lift, lift past table level so it will roll the logs. or are you now walking instead of bending to get the rounds off the lift?
Lift on horizontal would roll them on beam. After splitting one half do you leave the opposite side half just laying on table? Or do you walk around to pick up and put on lift again? No. You have to reach and bend over to get other half and move back on beam.

My vertical lift will go vertical if you let it. Rounds roll right on table.

Me too. I enjoy standing up straight and not having to pick up stuff from ground!
Yea, the horizontal I used was too low, and had the pusher on the cylinder so you were always chasing rounds to split again. Oh and the bending over made my back hurt. And yes, that is why I build one to suit me.

splitter-28.jpg

I just need to build my log lift and I'm done.

JT

Short video of the log splitter running Sat @Hedgerow GTG.

I got to use this splitter at Hedgefest. I liked everything about it,,,,a lot. I was pleasantly surprised with the ergonomics and efficiency of operation. I am 5'10" and the elevated controls did not bother me; In fact, I liked where the controls were. After several hours of splitting my shoulder might have a different opinion. I envy all of you welder/fabricators. If you are looking to fabricate a splitter, look very seriously at this design. It is much better than the standard splitter design.

Lift

Lift on horizontal would roll them on beam. After splitting one half do you leave the opposite side half just laying on table? Or do you walk around to pick up and put on lift again? No. You have to reach and bend over to get other half and move back on beam.

My vertical lift will go vertical if you let it. Rounds roll right on table.
not sure how a lift like yours will go vertical with the way you configured your cylinder?? maybe 20 degrees or so but nowhere near 90
lift.jpg
as for the "far" half of the round, near the end of the stroke I take my left hand and flop it back onto the lift, no bending, just extending my arm, and for the monster rounds I put my lift up and it holds the half against the wedge until I get the half closest to me situated. oh well you like what you got , and I like what I got.

My lift will go 45deg past horizontal with cylinder hooked up. Unpin the cylinder it goes 90 degrees to the table...

I've had horizontal with lift before. Unless you have a helper , walking around machine gets really old. That's why I made what I did. Buck logs next to splitter, roll, split, stack. Done
If you're gonna use a single wedge for splitting, I'd go with the vertical just like you built in a heartbeat.. It's just damn comfortable to use, and I'm 6'5"...
I've decided though, after the Wisconsin charity cut, the design I got and the 4 way wedge were priceless when conditions are right...
So I'm probably gonna just roll with it... Even if 50% of the time, I'd rather have the vertical...

For you guys that have built and used these types of splitters; have you given any thought to the value of a boom type log lift with a winch on it rather than the flipper style? I'm trying to think ahead and it seems like it might be easier to just pull the cable and grapple to a round that's anywhere within say a 20' semi-circle rather than having to roll it to the flipper. Maybe I'm just getting lazy?

Oh and I was also wondering why I don't see any alternate hydraulic controls like foot operated or even knee operated like some muffler shop tubing benders?

A boom and winch could be an option but it would be slow and probably require outriggers. Commercial models do come with knee and/or foot controls.

Vertical table mount splitters are common outside the USA.

Latest posts

Back